What has happened to Losi?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: What has happened to Losi?

Post by DerbyDan »

amx73 wrote:Now, lets pull out the old JRX2's and RC10's and show up at the Nat's or Worlds with our Novak chargers, 1700 SCR packs, and Monster Horsepower motors and put a beating on the new school!!!
I love racing the old cars..... but modern electrics all the way - I certainly don't miss skimming & replacing brushes on my motors after every run & carrying around a suitcase full of expensive matched batteries that could only be charged up & used once every two weeks Lol! :lol:

I guess 1-10th off road racing hasn't developed much in the last 10 - 20 or so years because the rules haven't significantly changed - they still have to fit in the same scrutineer's box - there's only so much you can do with something that is 1-10th full size & reaches a certain weight.... which is why some of our vintage cars can still be so competitive. F1 for example is constantly evolving & advancing largly because designers are constantly chacing performance as rules change.

Anyway thats all somewhat off-topic I guess, I don't think its just Losi that is appearing to be losing its way.... to us old-skool die hard R/Cers I think we see that there is a general 'dumbing-down' of the models that are being made available to us - I recieved a catalogue the other day from Tower Hobbies, & its literally full of RTR stuff from all the manufacturers... and its all very reasonably priced. In some repects its good that it allows everyone almost instant access to the hobby & will encourage new-comers that might otherwise be put off by the expense & daunting prospect of building a kit.... but on the otherhand - where's all the learning gone & what happens when the thing breaks & the owner has no idea how to take it apart - or worse put it back together cause they didn't build it in the first place :?

I credit my parents for getting me into this hobby & allowing me to fiddle around with r/c cars which has, in part help build who I am today... i'm not sure if the current crop of RTR stuff could inspire kids like the cars did that we had.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

I am so old school when I bought some recent RTR's, the first thing I did was take them apart and reassemble them for absolutly no reason :lol:

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

RCveteran wrote:I am so old school when I bought some recent RTR's, the first thing I did was take them apart and reassemble them for absolutly no reason :lol:
I did the exact same thing when I bought an RC18t. :lol:

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

DerbyDan wrote: but on the otherhand - where's all the learning gone & what happens when the thing breaks & the owner has no idea how to take it apart - or worse put it back together cause they didn't build it in the first place :?
You bring your car back to Hobbytown USA where they charge your a fortune to fix it.

Back when I worked at a LHS, I would sell the part and tell them how to fix it...and the door was open for them to bring it in so I can help. I wanted them to lear how to build and fix their cars...that was a big part of the hobby back then.

I never charged a customer (usually a kid) for helping. I didn't charge anyone at the track when they neede help...so why would I charge when the shop was already paying me $5.50 an hour :lol:

Losi (like everyone) had to adapt. Let's face it, we're from a different era and things have changed...people want to plug and play in today's world.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

highwayracer wrote:
DerbyDan wrote: Let's face it, we're from a different era and things have changed...
I cannot accept this, I am sure it is 1994, my back does not hurt, I am not going bald and chicks dig me and my toy cars 8)

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

RCveteran wrote:
highwayracer wrote:
DerbyDan wrote: Let's face it, we're from a different era and things have changed...
I cannot accept this, I am sure it is 1994, my back does not hurt, I am not going bald and chicks dig me and my toy cars 8)
lucky you - even in 94's chick never dug my toy cars :mrgreen:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Since Horizon took it over they gone to the crap bin.

I have owened every off road buggy they made and saw the quality drop off so much i jumped to A.E.

Losi suck now.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

bgruen
Approved Member

Post by bgruen »

DerbyDan wrote:
amx73 wrote: I recieved a catalogue the other day from Tower Hobbies, & its literally full of RTR stuff from all the manufacturers... and its all very reasonably priced. In some repects its good that it allows everyone almost instant access to the hobby & will encourage new-comers that might otherwise be put off by the expense & daunting prospect of building a kit.... but on the otherhand - where's all the learning gone & what happens when the thing breaks & the owner has no idea how to take it apart - or worse put it back together cause they didn't build it in the first place :?

I credit my parents for getting me into this hobby & allowing me to fiddle around with r/c cars which has, in part help build who I am today... i'm not sure if the current crop of RTR stuff could inspire kids like the cars did that we had.
Point taken, but I recall 25 years ago when Tower Hobbies had a full page ad for the Frog and Grasshopper and 1/9th of a page dedicated to the original RC-10. Point is that they advertise what sells. There is a lot to be said for the initial assembly of an RC car, but there are a lot of people who are too intimidated by it. There have been a few posts here about Traxxas but none have properly credited Traxxas for their true contribution to RC cars: RTR. They pioneered it, it made Traxxas into what they are today: the commodity brand. Before you bash them too hard, they are still an American based company and Mike Jenkins races and sponsors real TORC trucks.

Bob
Writer, producer, and director of The Hobby Stop:

Available on:
  • Amazon
  • iTunes
  • Google Play
  • YouTube Movies
  • Microsoft Store / X-Box

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

highwayracer wrote:
DerbyDan wrote: but on the otherhand - where's all the learning gone & what happens when the thing breaks & the owner has no idea how to take it apart - or worse put it back together cause they didn't build it in the first place :?
Let's face it, we're from a different era and things have changed...people want to plug and play in today's world.

+1 Now its about convenience. Everyone wants something repaired or troubleshot - but themselves do not want to put in the time or effort. All they care about is - How fast does it go -> how fast can it go. If it breaks, well "dad/mom" will pay for it to get repaired or replaced. Also they do not respect the hobby as much either. Half of them could not change the tire on a bicycle let alone a chain. Look how many Traxxas cars end up on the "Bay" stripped of the Motor and ESC, just because they figured out a way to put the ESC and Motor in another more (Speed) Capable chassis.

I could go on as we all could I am sure...

...but there is always a daughter, son, niece or nephew that can always be shown the "right" way to enjoy the R/C hobby.

As far as what happened to Losi:

Horizon Happend thats what!

lpddpd
Approved Member

Post by lpddpd »

Half of them could not change the tire on a bicycle let alone a chain.
Ha! I was at the bike shop the other day buying some tubes and rich kid comes in with rich dad to find a way to attach a rack to his bike so he doesn't have to have so many books in his backpack. Dad wants to be sure that there is an acceptable way to do this so that his kid isn't laughed at for having a rack on the bike. The only thing rich kid cares about is that they clean the bike because he's only had it for a week and it's gotten filthy! Forget about not being able to change tires, this one's not washing the bike!

hobbes
Approved Member

Post by hobbes »

so given the current state of losi, would it even be recommended to get a XXX? I might be able to get one for 50 bucks, but my worry is mostly finding parts if something breaks.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

most if not all XXX parts are still available. The latest "version" of the XXX just won the Roar Nationals for 2wd modified.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

The driver is the biggest factor, a good driver can do more than well with a XXX, probably a JRx2 as well. Too much emphasis is put on the car in my not so humble opinion. I have the latest greatest and regularly get creamed by "lesser" cars because I stink :lol:

There's a kid I saw recently who consistently is placing well with a modified stampede much to the surprise of some Losi and Associated trucks in his class.

hobbes
Approved Member

Post by hobbes »

RCveteran wrote:The driver is the biggest factor, a good driver can do more than well with a XXX, probably a JRx2 as well. Too much emphasis is put on the car in my not so humble opinion.
While i do agree with this 100%, it baffles me how i get destroyed by 3-5 year olds at the kyosho mini z races i've been attending recently. Granted, i haven't touched an rc remote in nearly a decade and am pretty much a 1/28 scale newbie, but i feel like i'm the only clown bouncing off the walls. Somehow the other cars feel more forgiving in the corners.

Maybe the "car" factor is further emphasized in smaller scales? Or perhaps i'm just in denial and won't face the fact that i suck and need to practice? :P

Anyway, i guess i'll consider getting me that used xxx now. Thanks guys.

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

at least we can hold on to fond memories where losi came from and what they did for the hobby/sport.
that will never die in my heart!!! i still search for there vintage items most days on ebay.

the losi eight 2 is one of the fastest 1/8ths around so thats good enough for me, the name still rips!!!!! 8) 8) 8)