Marui Galaxy Rebuild - Finished!

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Marui Galaxy Rebuild

Post by Coelacanth »

maruirc wrote:I've done that and found it is faster but with a 8.4 battery it's too bouncy with the hunter and with the galaxy it bottoms out too much. A 6 cell battery is enough. :)
You're right, a 6-cell pack is enough for this car. This one won't bottom out anymore, though. ;)
Where did you find a 16 tooth gear. The gears in marui 2wd are 48 metric pitch?
I had one in my toolbox, no idea where it came from, but the tooth pitch was nearly identical to the stock gear. It meshes nicely. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I picked up a new wing to replace the messed-up original undersized wing (the lexan stand-offs were previously ripped out and it was just bolted directly onto the plastic rollcage standoffs at the rear). I drilled straight through the plastic rollcage standoffs and made a U-shaped wing mount from piano wire, then installed wing buttons & the wing. Now it should be more forgiving with roll-overs and also adjustable.

I slapped on the upper covers & rollcage to take a pic, this is pretty much what she'll look like when finished.
Attachments
NewWing1.jpg
NewWing2.jpg
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

maruirc

Post by maruirc »

I noticed you put a old bushing in place for a spacer for the front wheel becausse the stock plastic bushing was wider than the new bearing. I solved that problem. I left my vintage stock setup except for the esc.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

maruirc wrote:I noticed you put a old bushing in place for a spacer for the front wheel becausse the stock plastic bushing was wider than the new bearing. I solved that problem. I left my vintage stock setup except for the esc.
Good eyes! Yep, I had to do something about that extra 5 or 6mm or the front wheels wouldn't mount properly. I bought a bunch of alloy spacers on eBay recently, a couple of those might work better, but I haven't received them yet.

maruirc

Post by maruirc »

All you needed was a .095 x 11 mm spacer with the bearing. :)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

maruirc wrote:All you needed was a .195 x 11 mm spacer with the bearing. :)
That wouldn't work, because the wheel only goes on the threaded part of the axle so far, then stops where the threads stop. That leaves at least a 4mm gap on the inside, too much space for the bearing inside the wheel to potentially pop out. Remember, these are non-Marui wheels that don't have a deep recess inside the inner wheel hub for a thick bushing; these wheels only have enough recess to press-fit a 5 x 11mm bearing nice and flush. I need at least a 4mm thick spacer or the inner wheel bearings risk popping out. :)

maruirc

Post by maruirc »

I ment .095. thick. I added the cut off tool to the size. This is for the origional wheel. I can make any size I want if I put different wheels on. I prefer to leave it stock.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I think it goes without saying that this Galaxy build has no intention of staying stock. ;) I get it, you prefer stock. :P

The Hunter/Galaxy/Big Bear were reliable RC cars but their suspension and ride was pretty suck-tastic. For anything but a shelf-queen, I wouldn't see the point of leaving it stock. This car is going to be driven, and anything I can do to improve handling is a bonus. "Improving" it and turning it into something that's one-of-a-kind and distinctive is another bonus.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Electronics & new covers installed

Post by Coelacanth »

Finally able to make some progress on the Galaxy, and it's almost finished! Thanks to bigjeepzz, I received a brand new ESC from a re-re Tamiya Grasshopper. Did some soldering, added a Deans connector and had to retro-fit an old male Futaba connector in place of the ESC's more modern female connector, so that the ESC would plug into the old original receiver. Tucked the electronics into new positions, moving the receiver and ESC each one bathtub "compartment" forward, as I feel this might improve weight distribution. The Galaxy is overly butt-heavy IMO.

I buttoned everything up with a set of new plastic covers and I must say, this Galaxy is looking a lot tighter than it did back in the ol' days! :)
Attachments
ElectronicsDone1.jpg
ElectronicsDone2.jpg
NewCoversInstalled.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Rollcage Installed

Post by Coelacanth »

Pics with the rollcage and wing installed...all that's left to do is paint the wing & test/calibrate the electronics. Unfortunately there's about 2 feet of snow on the ground, I have no idea where I'll be able to do some proper test-drives...but eventually I'll update this thread with a video. 8)
Attachments
Rollcage1.jpg
Rollcage2.jpg
Rollcage3.jpg

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

You got room for a driver now!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mr. ED wrote:You got room for a driver now!
Hehe! Well, the purists will probably go off on me, but I won't be putting in the driver doll. I could've bought a brand new one from that guy who has the garage full of Marui parts, but decided not to. I can't really explain why, I just never liked driver figures as they don't add anything performance-wise, I guess. :lol:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

It would help with keeping dirt out of the tub: covering up that big hole in the back.

I always look at the figures in the airplane section forsomething original. But usually they are too heavy :(

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Mr. ED wrote:It would help with keeping dirt out of the tub: covering up that big hole in the back.
Actually, the driver doll doesn't do anything to cover up that hole; the driver bolts onto the center section of the 3 top covers. The hole was originally there to provide airflow to the MSC & resistors. :? If the driver did anything at all that was useful other than looks, I'd probably install one.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Fair enough, it's your build. When will you be turning this back over to your brother?
I hope he's gonna appreciate it for the work and time you put in it.