Spring Fling in Winter Haven Florida April 8-10, 2011

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Re: Spring Fling in Winter Haven Florida April 8-10, 2011

Post by Russ Winn »

....There was one drawback: After 26 years of RC, I realized what an amateur I really am............Thanks, again. :lol:
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Hey Russ,
It was Great to meet you and talk about the RC10. I truely hope that you got to enjoy the racing you saw, not only of the RC10's racing each other, but also the RC10 racing the normal stock and mod classes.

Good times!
Unfortunately for me, Sat. night while packing I "tweaked" my lower back while loading the SUV late around 10 pm when we left the track, and when we got home I realized I was starting to get a stiff neck and was very dehydrated from the heat of the day and night. Started drinking fluids right away but it was too late. Woke up at 3:20am Sunday with a severe migraine, stiff neck and other dehydration symptoms I have had before when I road raced motorcycles. So I didn't return to the race on Sunday and have stayed home to recover. It is now 1pm in the afternoon and my headache, neckache and other symptoms are still in full swing. I hope to recover today before my wife takes me to the hospital.

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

I had great time watching you guys run. Sorry to hear about your mishap...I've been there before. Motrin 800mg was the "cure all" when I was in the military, and I still use the over the counter ibuprofen. I also found Excedrin Migraine formula worked better for me than the prescription Zomig....Hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks again to you (and everyone) for the trip down memory lane, and seeing those gold tubs on the track. It was nice meeting you all.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Legend has it that Ruffy's car still won the A3 in Stock class today...........................believe it or not.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Legend has it that Ruffy's car still won the A3 in Stock class today...........................believe it or not.
AWESOME.... :D
I know this is real, I was there... :D

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

I was wondering why I didn't see Ruffy out there today. I was hoping to get my buggy setup last week with the 13.5 and all but school and other things I had to get done kept me busy all week. Still had a great time seeing the cars run out there, I'll have it running next week though.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Ok boys, I am ready to see some pics. Don't make me start texting about it at the rate that I was "invited" ( harassed ) to come to the race :lol:

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

Lets see some vid aswell as pics

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I know there were at least two photographers so as soon as we can get some pics I will update you, most likely with a link to theRCAsylum.com image gallery.

This afternoon I am feeling much better so far!

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Made it home, had a good time. Broke more parts than I ever thought possible. Hell, I even broke a motor plate. I need to change some things on my red buggy. Found out some areas which need vast improvement. Those nice TI turnbuckles I made are all toast. I even brought my blue buggy for parts and broke all the turnbuckles from it as well. Thanks to Jeff for getting me going with a commercial set of Lunsfords.

Ruffy, missed you on Sun. I actually was able to turn a few 28 sec laps. I look forward to coming sometime agin soon.

I was talking with Jeff and discussed going to see Reggie on his terms since he won't make a trip to race south of SC.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Jake,
I'm glad to hear you got home safe and sound. I really wanted to be there Sunday after all the hard work, but there was no possible way for me to be trackside with the way I felt. I spent most of Sunday sleeping and drinking fluids, to recover. I underestimated how much liquid I drank compared to how much I was sweating.
Great job on turning the 28's! Did you adjust your car to get there or just drive a bit smoother?

Where does Reggie race at?

It was awesome to meet you and get to know you a little while we were there. I always like meeting fellow RC10 racers! At least you got to see how good a box stock CE can run, even against the current cars. I know from the smile on Russ Winn's face that he really enjoyed it!
It was great to meet you Russ as well!
:D

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Ruffy, we all know the REAL reason why you skipped out on Sun.

Didn't you mention something about the RC Sailboating you have gotten into :lol: :lol: . I am sure wind power is much more exciting than pulling wheelies down a track.

I plan on coming back again in the future.

Jake

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Actually we were talking about our past hobby, Joel and I haven't sailed a racing regatta in over two years now.
Here are some of those racing days back in 2009. The boat is a Kyosho Seawind and its' racing class is awesome because it is a single design class. No modifications can be made, there is a min. weight limit, the sails have to be the factory sails, etc... the class is very competitive due to being a single design class, which is why I chose to race it. The CF boats cost around $700.00 without any radio, battery, or equipment internally. The ABS plastic version, which most people sail, is around $250.00. I think they stopped making the CF hull versions a year ago, so they are hard to find now. I still have my boat with two suit of sails. One for racing and one for practice so they don't get too stretched out.
The hardest thing to learn are all the rules, and when certain rules apply, when certain rules cease to be in order as another rule is in burden, etc.. and tuning the boat for the wind and water conditions. There are a few books you can buy for anyone looking to get into it, just be ready to do a lot of reading for many days.
Here is one of my boat out in front as we approach the first rounding mark of one of the heat races: I made my boat a tribute to the US Navy Blue Angels. I'm the one with the multi-colored sails and blue top of the hull. The hull is made of carbon fiber with a clear-coat but appears black in these photos.
IMG_4400.JPG
Here is one of my boat in the lead after rounding the last mark, and heading for the finish line with the current US National Champion in the background as he is aiming to round the last mark before the finish stretch:
IMG_4468.JPG
Here is a cool pic a Competition sailing magazine editor took of me, in the lead with the pack on my tail as we head for the first mark, with me standing in the foreground, as I pilot my sailboat.
IMG_4458.JPG
Here is one of my boat at home just after arriving home from the US Region 3 Seawind Sailing Championships where I took 1st place, while still a rookie at sailing!
195661535.jpg

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I hope there are no pictures of my car wheeling on the track though, that's so embarrassing that I had the slipper on just a hint too tight and those tires didn't want to stay down without ultra smooth power/finger control.
The crowd sounded like they enjoyed it though.
:D

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Pulling the front wheels halfway down that long straight was defeating the purpose of the qualifiers, but the entertainment was just too cool!

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Ruffy.