Lazer2000/Alpha Toyota Celica Rally - Layshaft done!!!

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: Lazer2000/Alpha/Rally Project

Post by jwscab »

the 4-tec top shaft I linked to (the second one) is pretty long, as it uses a slipper or hub adapter, and drives two 3mm HTD 15 tooth pulleys, that are pin drive. I wanna say the motor mount/top shaft bulkhead for the 4 tec is about 40mm wide(1 1/2")

that is what i used in this build:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=16813&hilit=weapon&start=15

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

The inner hinge pin mounts are going to be Pargu's - anodized in red. Since the rearmost mount can't be used with the Lazer Alpha chassis, I have also purchased a piece of scrap delrin to create a custom spacer to make it fit.

Once that is done I can finalize the lower chassis reinforcement plate and cut it out.

Tentative slipper choice: Associated B4 (V2 version) since they are cheap on Ebay.

Oh, and an older picture of the body I am going to use: Lazer Alpha Toyota Celica Carlos Sainz Limited Edition.
body1.jpg

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

jwscab wrote:the 4-tec top shaft I linked to (the second one) is pretty long, as it uses a slipper or hub adapter, and drives two 3mm HTD 15 tooth pulleys, that are pin drive. I wanna say the motor mount/top shaft bulkhead for the 4 tec is about 40mm wide(1 1/2")

That's one to remember: I wonder if that could be used on an optima mid.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

EvolutionRevolution wrote: Tentative slipper choice: Associated B4 (V2 version) since they are cheap on Ebay.
The largest spur I could find for a B4 is only 87 teeth 48dp. That's way smaller than your alfa original

teman
Approved Member

Re: Lazer2000/Alpha Project - Toyota Celica Rally

Post by teman »

I dig the body choice of course - Celica GT-4! 8) I can't wait to see it finished :twisted:
-Kevin

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

jwscab wrote:the 4-tec top shaft I linked to (the second one) is pretty long, as it uses a slipper or hub adapter, and drives two 3mm HTD 15 tooth pulleys, that are pin drive. I wanna say the motor mount/top shaft bulkhead for the 4 tec is about 40mm wide(1 1/2")

How wide are the pulleys, and how large is the diameter of each pulley at the flange?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Loving watching this.....

While not what I'll be doing with my Celica (the green one as linked much earlier in TamiyaClub), I'll be interested in how you go.... and what you have left..... because I may need some spare parts!!!!

Look forward to what you do with the bodyshell... I'd suggest non-boxart, but that's just me.... I reckon it would look great as a Castrol Celica, rather than the red-blob Celica.... I may have soke decals somewhere, if you're interested....

Keep up the great work!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Mr. ED wrote:
EvolutionRevolution wrote: Tentative slipper choice: Associated B4 (V2 version) since they are cheap on Ebay.
The largest spur I could find for a B4 is only 87 teeth 48dp. That's way smaller than your alfa original
Ok, found a 93teeth one, but still it's 48dp, and thus still considerable smaller than 100t M0.6

I think Tamiya has a 100 teeth spur which you could put traxxas slipper pegs in, but I don't have a partnumber or even an idea on which car it sits in.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Anyone know an alternative for LA59? I want to use the W5063 universals, but those don't fit with the original c-hubs and LA59 seems to be really hard to find...

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

In my earlier post, I was talking about using just the slipper parts from traxxas, and not the layshaft (you would keep your stock layshaft setup). As far as the LA59's are concerned, I am currently using C hubs from the newer lazer series (the original ZX-5, not the sp or FS). They come in 7 and 10 degrees, and are easy to find. They also mount with no modification. -Jeff

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Jay Dub wrote:In my earlier post, I was talking about using just the slipper parts from traxxas, and not the layshaft (you would keep your stock layshaft setup). As far as the LA59's are concerned, I am currently using C hubs from the newer lazer series (the original ZX-5, not the sp or FS). They come in 7 and 10 degrees, and are easy to find. They also mount with no modification. -Jeff
Thanks for confirming that those fit. Looks like I'll have to order a few. :D

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Okay, received the ZX-5 c-hubs, but it looks like I also need the ZX-5 kingpins if I want to be able to attach the camber link :lol: Oh well, next order to make.

Edit: The ZX-5 c-hubs are not a direct replacement for the Lazer Alpha c-hubs, at least if you want to keep the same amount of suspension travel at the front (which I do). The unmodified ZX-5 c-hubs will cause the front arms to sit level instead. I had to remove some material from the c-hubs to make them fit and move freely with full travel:

Unmodified ZX-5 c-hub at left, modified in middle, Lazer Alpha right:
modded-zx5-c-hubs-2.jpg
The unmodified ZX-5 c-hub is at the left and the modified one right of it:
modded-zx5-c-hubs-3.jpg
Full travel now (top: Alpha c-hub + ZX arm, bottom: ZX-5 c-hub + ZX arm):
modded-zx5-c-hubs-1.jpg
Furthermore, unless you add a thicker spacer than what is included with the ZX-5 c-hubs, you can't use the Lazer Alpha front uprights. If you use the ZX-5 front uprights that are included with the c-hubs in combination with the long Lazer ZX universals, there will be about 1 mm of lateral play where the universal meets the upright bearings. So I'll have to shim that out.

Front arm with ZX-5 upright (no kingpins):
arm-mockup.jpg
Also received Pargu's alloy hinge pin holders some time ago. His red anodizing is a perfect match for Kyosho's red anodizing:
red-alloy-bits.jpg
The front outer holder and rear inner holder fit right onto the car, the front inner holder can't due to the Alpha's different front gearbox design, and the rear outer holder will require manufacturing a custom piece that goes between the holder and the chassis.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

While test-fitting the hinge pin holders I discovered that the Lazer Alpha's front hinge pins are longer than those of the Lazer ZX. So I had to shorten them by around 3 mm to be able to use Pargu's front hinge pin holder:

(top = original, bottom = shortened):
front-hinge-pins.jpg
After doing that I attached the front arms to the front gearbox:
front-arms-1.jpg
I had to add some shims because the arms could move back and forth for over a mm:
front-arms-2.jpg
I also assembled and filled the shocks:
shocks.jpg
The rear shocks are Equalizers, the front ones some later issue teflon shocks. They came with black caps, which I swapped for red ones I had left over.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:Okay, received the ZX-5 c-hubs, but it looks like I also need the ZX-5 kingpins if I want to be able to attach the camber link :lol: Oh well, next order to make.

Edit: The ZX-5 c-hubs are not a direct replacement for the Lazer Alpha c-hubs, at least if you want to keep the same amount of suspension travel at the front (which I do). The unmodified ZX-5 c-hubs will cause the front arms to sit level instead. I had to remove some material from the c-hubs to make them fit and move freely with full travel:

Unmodified ZX-5 c-hub at left, modified in middle, Lazer Alpha right:
modded-zx5-c-hubs-2.jpg
The unmodified ZX-5 c-hub is at the left and the modified one right of it:
modded-zx5-c-hubs-3.jpg
Full travel now (top: Alpha c-hub + ZX arm, bottom: ZX-5 c-hub + ZX arm):
modded-zx5-c-hubs-1.jpg
Looks like you encountered a very similar issue adapting your C-hubs to fit those arms that I had. In my case, it was adapting alloy hubs to fit control arms. The nylon hubs that the arms came with looked exactly like yours on the right, and had those triangular notches to limit the camber travel. The alloy C-hubs lacked these notches so I had to modify the arms so they would permit the same amount of camber.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21530&start=82
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Received some more parts last week:
balls-n-kingpins.jpg
ZX-5 kingpins (upper and lower), some 4.8 mm balls, and some hard ballcups for the balls.

I then assembled the front uprights and c-hubs, and found that the only way I could get proper suspension travel was by mounting the left upright on the right side and vice versa, ending up with this:
front-uprights-n-chubs.jpg
The problem is that due to the shape of the front upright it rubs on the suspension arm when installed the right way around. Anyone know if the Integy alloy uprights offered on Ebay are any good? Their shape should allow me to install them the proper way.

On the car (also attached the shocks to the shock towers):
front-end.jpg