Losi XX and a donor Kinwald

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: Losi XX and a donor Kinwald

Post by DerbyDan »

@ mwg, I'm afraid I don't think i'll be able to make it tomorrow night.... however i've booked in to race at the 'Telstar' outdoor track on the outskirts of Towcester (at the Bell Plantation on th A5) Its going to be the last time they can run there mid-week before the nights draw in too much, so i'm taking the opportunity to race there again :D

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

DerbyDan wrote:@ mwg, I'm afraid I don't think i'll be able to make it tomorrow night.... however i've booked in to race at the 'Telstar' outdoor track on the outskirts of Towcester (at the Bell Plantation on th A5) Its going to be the last time they can run there mid-week before the nights draw in too much, so i'm taking the opportunity to race there again :D
No problem. I was planning on visiting the Telstar club when they are back in MK.

I'll let you know how I get on!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Yes, please do...

Those tyres may not be ideal.... but i'm sure they'll be ok to get you around, with what looks like a fixed timing stock motor, I don't think you'll be setting any lap records just yet.

Good luck for tonight & remember to have fun 8)

P.S; you'll probably be accosted by a Mr James White whom is very enthusiastic about my XX - we both used to race them back in the day, he still has his original car & keeps threatening to break it out again too.

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

I took it to the Silverstone Club last night with a friend.

The verdict is: slow. Very very slow. Handles well (at slow speed) but is so low on power it should be in a different race...

I saved my good (new) NiMH battery for the final - only be taken out on the way to the grid and damage the motor (but managed to get out for the end of the final).

Best time was a 24.6 - less than a second off the good times in my (slow) final but about 6-8 seconds off the real pace!

The same friend has a spare SC and brushless motor that I will fit to the XX for next week (or the following). It is a 6T speed passion (a bit much??) but it will give me an indication if I want to go brushless with my own!

Can you suggest a decent Lipo that will fit in the XX without too much trouble? I ran out of battery in one heat with my NiCd...

Good fun though.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Brilliant stuff mgw..... glad you had fun! That B4 looks familar - I guess he's a Silverstone/Moulton regular?

The 6.5BL Speed Passion will probably be a bit too hot - considering that you have only just returned to the hobby, I run a 6.5 Hacker motor in my XX & I think that it is too much for me & the Hacker has always been notoriously 'soft' compared with other 6.5 motors - a 10.5 motor I think would be a good starting point with your XX.

Of course, as soon as you speed up your car you'll suddenly realise how well/or badly it handles - for sure I think you'll need a pair of Minispike tyres (in Yellow compound) for the rear at least.

As for Lipo batteries - they are generally a bit bigger than the Nicad packs that the XX was designed for, i'm running an old TrackPower 3200mah 25c battery (one of the gold ones) - which just slots nicely under the back part of the chassis, but I've had to infill the recess in the bottom of the chassis to allow the battery to sit higher into the wider area as the case is too wide to sit nicely into the slot the that a Nicad would have done, there's a photo in my thread on my runner XX that speaks a 1000 words & may explain this better?

Unfortunately for some reason LiPo batteries have got bigger/taller since the release of my Trakpower battery... none of my more newer batteries will fit under the chassis at the back :| I'm expecting my TP battery to give up soon so have been thinking of what to replace it with. I've come to the conclusion that the best solution would be one of the 'shorty' battery packs that were originally intended to fit the TLR22;

http://www.dms-racing.com/fruzat/qaxabast.asp?manufacturer=Reedy&product=RAS306&PageURL=SQL/search.asp

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

Thanks Dan - I hear what you are saying about the motor! I will look for a 10.5.

I can see you are running a small insert of wood in the battery slot.

Looking at the dimensions of the Reedy (Shorty) it looks like it is wider than the battery slot. How would you recommend fitting it? It looks like it would sit on top of the two holes for the battery straps?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Ignore that, I can see it just fits in the battery slot now.

Caine
Approved Member

Post by Caine »

I bought one of the Orion Rocket Packs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Orion-Rocket-Sport-4200mAh-7-4V-LiPo-Battery-Pack-with-Deans-Plug-ORI14165-/251069517134?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3a74e8cd4e

They are the same width as an old stick pack and fit under the rear of the chassis perfectly, i bought one specificly to use with my RC10 as my other lipos didnt fit under the rear bulkhead and have carried on using it constantly for my T4 and vintage runner.

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

How big will the difference be between the 25C and 60C discharge?

Caine
Approved Member

Post by Caine »

It basically means you get more punch as they can deliver the amps at a higher voltage so more power.

I'm sure more experienced like Dan could explain more.

Really depends on what you want, if your running a 10.5 the orion would be ample, i have 40c batteries for my 22 with a 8.5 and it doesnt half shift.
The top drivers at the club i go to use 5.5,6.5 with 40-50c lipos and the cars are insane.

For Vintage and bashing with my truck, this pack has been fine for me. also depends on how much you want to spend on a battery

I even went the cheap route with my charger as i'm on a budget and this has served me well for over 2 years

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Original-SKYRC-IMAX-B6-Li-po-Ni-MH-Battery-Charger-12V-5A-AC-Adapter-/160790373760?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item256fda6580

Moggie XL
Approved Member

Post by Moggie XL »

The cars looking good its nice to see you have got a XX up and running.Those
turnbuckles aren't 22 by the way thay are for XX,XXX cars.

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

Thanks both of you!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Caine - thanks for the link/suggestion of the Orion battery, a better & cheaper alternative to the 'shorty' pack I think, so this battery is narrow enough to sit right down in the slot in the XX chassis?

With regard to the 'C' rating - I believe its a figure that relates to maximum discharge time - the higher the C rating the quicker the discharge rate or the greater current that the battery can supply to your motor... if it requires it. Its worth noting that if your motor at maximum load only draws say 10c worth out of your battery.... buying a 60C battery will make no difference to the performance of your car.

As I said before i'm running an old 25c battery with a 6.5 motor & they work together fine - certainly more than quick enough on the tracks that i've been running on. However I think that the motor could deliver more 'grunt' given a slightly higher C rated battery as the one i'm using does get a little warm - although nowhere near as hot as we used to get the old NiCads after a run!

mwg - i'm sure you'd be fine with the Orion Rocket packs, i'll sure be looking at buying one to replace the battery i'm currently using!

Caine
Approved Member

Post by Caine »

DerbyDan wrote:Caine - thanks for the link/suggestion of the Orion battery, a better & cheaper alternative to the 'shorty' pack I think, so this battery is narrow enough to sit right down in the slot in the XX chassis?
Yup it goes straigh in there :D

mwg
Approved Member

Post by mwg »

I've fitted the LiPo battery and the (friends) brushless 6.5T. I will look to get a more progressive engine/esc soon because I anticipate struggling with this combo. The Losi Xcelerin looks like a good buy.

I have also switched the Kinwald chassis (to save my original plastic XX from any big damage).

I have have a new pair of Yellow Mini Spikes (and medium) foam at the rear!

I will need to find a 18T or 19T pinon to reach the recommended gearing (I have a 84T or 88T spur) of 10.3.

I'll wire it in tomorrow at work and drop a few more photos!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

mwg wrote:I've fitted the LiPo battery and the (friends) brushless 6.5T. I will look to get a more progressive engine/esc soon because I anticipate struggling with this combo. The Losi Xcelerin looks like a good buy.

I have also switched the Kinwald chassis (to save my original plastic XX from any big damage).

I have have a new pair of Yellow Mini Spikes (and medium) foam at the rear!

I will need to find a 18T or 19T pinon to reach the recommended gearing (I have a 84T or 88T spur) of 10.3.

I'll wire it in tomorrow at work and drop a few more photos!
Good work mwg..... will you be running tonight? I'm booked in :wink: