SuperScale Diablo

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DennisM
Approved Member

Re: SuperScale Diablo

Post by DennisM »

The Saurus had the 7 slot ultima chassis aswell, can anyone recall what the others in that configuration was?
Gone fishing

kbillan
Approved Member

Post by kbillan »

I had the testarossa body which I mounted on my grasshopper II. It worked.. I swear.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

I confess, I´ve had Yokomo wheels on a Grashopper :oops:
Gone fishing

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

DennisM wrote:I confess, I´ve had Yokomo wheels on a Grashopper :oops:
I always knew you had a dark side :lol:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

DennisM wrote:The Saurus had the 7 slot ultima chassis aswell, can anyone recall what the others in that configuration was?
It's a Japan/Europe/USA thing. Different markets got different chassis materials. My Porsche flatnose also has the seven cell chassis.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

gomachv wrote:
DennisM wrote:I confess, I´ve had Yokomo wheels on a Grashopper :oops:
I always knew you had a dark side :lol:
Yeah, just laugh :D We had a shop in Denmark, called Jysk hobby center, they were big on Yokomo, and that guy could sell sand in Sahara.
Gone fishing

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:
DennisM wrote:The Saurus had the 7 slot ultima chassis aswell, can anyone recall what the others in that configuration was?
It's a Japan/Europe/USA thing. Different markets got different chassis materials. My Porsche flatnose also has the seven cell chassis.
I see - just like the Optima mid Custom.

Thanks
Gone fishing

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

There´s also a good write up on it here by terry.SC
I have copy pasted it from tamiya club.

The first Mids were the Optima Mid and the Turbo Optima Mid, released at the same time. These were short wheelbase cars running stick pack batteries. They had white Peugeot style 8 spoke wheels and both came with Option House Gold shocks.
The Mid has alloy shock and rear upper link mounts. All other versions had shock mounts and upper rear link mount made from black fibreglass. It had a 2mm thick narrow alloy chassis with round head screws. It comes with Kyosho Lemans 240ST motor and mechanical speed controller.
The Mid Turbo has black fibreglass shock and rear upper link mounts, anti roll bars, and a 2.3mm thick narrow alloy chassis.The thicker chassis meant the underside could have countersunk screws. It has turnbuckle upper links on the suspension and uJs on the front driveshafts, but no motor or speed controller.

The Mid SE was an updated Mid Turbo fitted with chrome plated 8 spoke wheels. Option House Platinum adjustable shocks and anti roll bars. Still short wheelbase and stick pack batteries. Includes Lemans 240ST motor and mechanical speed controller.

Kyosho released a long wheelbase chassis conversion kit which included a carbon fibre chassis, longer belt, top deck, belt covers and bodyshell (which later became the Mid Custom shell) It was designed to use saddle pack batteries. This was then produced as a kit called the Mid Special, a Mid Turbo with the conversion kit fitted. Came with 2 sets of Turbo Optima style 8 hole yellow wheels with 2 sets of Option House tyres. The only kit that came with ball differentials. This is by far the rarest kit as it did not have the worldwide release all the others had, it was also the most expensive.

The Mid Custom was next, basically a cheap version of the Special. Long wheelbase alloy saddle pack chassis with black plastic shocks. Yellow dish wheels. No turnbuckles or front uJs. It comes with Kyosho Lemans 240ST motor and mechanical speed controller. Rare these days as racers just went straight for the Custom Special.

The last Mid was the Mid Custom Special. Similar spec to the Mid Turbo but with a long wheelbase fibreglass saddle pack chassis. Option House Gold shocks, anti roll bars and front uJs. Yellow dish wheels. No motor or speed controller.

There weren't many optional parts for them made by Kyosho as most parts were included in the kits. All cars came ballraced, but with gear diffs so the popular hop up was kyoshos front and rear ball diffs. They also had a front one way diff hop up. All the other official Option House hop ups just upgraded the cheaper models to Turbo/Custom Special spec, e.g fibre shock mounts, anti roll bars, etc.
Gone fishing

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Cool - I really like the details.
Being from Denmark and interested in Kyosho before the WWW, was just like a notch after the stoneage.
We had wheels - but we were still kept in the dark
Gone fishing

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

So now I know where those tires are from. I have a set and they look cool.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

tamiyadan wrote:...This same mess exists with the ultima chassis.

There was the ultima pro, And the ultima pro xl.

The pro was the top tier model but it was stick configuration, the xl was top tier but in saddle pack configuration.
The xl robbed you of some features they traded the extra cost of saddle pack for some options off the pro.
Both good cars but different battery configurations...
The Turbo Ultima was stick pack config only where the Pro had slots milled into the alloy chassis for saddle pack config (could also use it in stick pack config with minor mods). The Pro XL offered both the possibility to run saddle packs or stick pack from the kit. On top, the PRO XL had many more "new" features compared to the Pro (longer wheelbase, different chassis, longer arms...).