First Time Painting Lexan

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Re: First Time Painting Lexan

Post by TM Ru22311 »

I actually had good luck using glass cleaner. The stuff I have is concentrated for commercial use. I tested it on a cut out window and the paint just rubbed right off. I will have to say though (because of the issue I had with the airbrush) I ended up using Krulon Fusion to paint it. That trick may not work as well with polycarb paints, but it worked good for the Krylon. I was just trying to paint the 2 roll bars on a Tomahawk, so this wasn't a large area anyway. I used an SOS pad and washed it good after removing the paint. I did that before painting as well since someone mentioned it helped the paint to adhere better scuffing it a bit (Less the windows)! :shock:

I had decided that since it is such a small and narrow area, I am going to redo it with a paint pen. I can get better detailing with that. Hopefully my airbrush issue is solved and I can finish the rest with better luck.

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Well, the paint job turned out okay except for in the sharp corners. It looks like when the paint dried, it shrunk and pulled away from the edges..I don't know. It looks great everywhere, except those tight corners. I used Pactra Fluorescent Green (RC281) It was in a spray can. I was trying to find it in a bottle and see if I could strip it out and brush it into those tight areas. I have seen Pactra Fluorescent Blue/Yellow/Orange in a bottle, but not the green. :roll:

Not really sure what to do at this point, it's pretty disappointing :cry:

The only other bad spot is above the front window where the black bled through the mask. I cleaned it up and repainted, but there are scratch marks in the lexan. That isn't really a concern since there is a Kyosho sticker that goes right over that, but those corners on the back are very noticeable. Anyone got some ideas?

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

you can spray some of the paint into the cans lid .. then use a small paint brush to paint in the problem areas .. make sure you back the green with white or it will be dark

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

you can paint the outside of the body but you will get a matt finish, this is not necessarily bad as creates a contrast of finish. I have painted the pseudo roll bars on my sct and it makes them match the bumper finish and actually looks more realistic than painting on the inside and having a glossy finish. I also did this on a bulldog lazer fs body that I got used with a crappy paint job. I masked off the cab and painted it on the outside. the contrast of finishes really worked well and combined with pin striping stickers, and vinyl the body turned out pretty good. One thing to note is that being on the outside the paint is exposed to scratching off but you could always repaint.

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I don't see why the paint will not adhere in those tight corners. Could it be that I didn't wash good enough in those tight areas? I removed most of the paint and tried it again and got the same results :roll: I tried spraying some paint in a jar and brushing it in, but the paint is very thin and doesn't seem to cover well. I may just leave well enough alone, but I just won't really be happy with it. If I ever have to do another lexan body, I am going with a brush.