Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619

Post by silvertriple »

The helmet was refined this afternoon.

After quite a few step of 2 minutes job, with some time in between, at the end of the paintjob operations, the driver helmet took shape.

I decided to add a visor before putting it in the car

He is alive now :-)

Time for a photoshoot within his brand new car.

The car is not yet ready as the motor is not soldered yet...

... but the driver is fully focused on the coming tasks :)

Next steps : soldering the motor, and add stickers. There will be a few sponsors, a number and driver name maybe...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Received today the famous optional brushless blue spur gear OTW126
51T vers 61T, that makes a lot of difference.

For information, both Javelin and the Turbo Optima are including a 25T pinion and the 61T spur gear.

The 51T brushless spur gear came with another gearing chart.

I did some calculation to identify what would be the proper gearing ratio for both the Javelin (13.5T - supposedly around 7) and the Turbo Optima (10.5T supposedly around 8).

I have 48dp pinions from 20T to 30T available, and will check the highlighted yellow elements, likely for short 3-5 minutes runs and temperature measure with a infrared thermometer... And will decide what to do next. But definitely not today, as the weather is terrible outside... And definitely, the motor will find it's place easily with the smaller spur gear (no problems anymore with the contact tabs slightly exposed to the motor guard...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Time to call it done.

The motor was connected this morning. And this afternoon, I took care of the finition and the stickers. Some of the stickers are coming from the kit, and some have been prepared by myself (either because what is within the kit are not white, either because I wanted something else than what came in the kit.

And here is the (almost) final result...

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Wow, the car looks great!
Another nice departure from standard box art. :D
Doug

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

A small modification with Molotov Liquid Chrome pen in the evening, because, that looks like it is made for this...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Finally tested the updated part for the front led with the Turbo Optima sway bar and it works... (It's published it on Thingiverse, in case you search for it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4938849)

And while I was ordering my prints for the Marui Hunter, I also included replacement parts for the sway bar attachement (the design was pretty straight forward, it went untested to final print). I tested the parts and they work perfectly (they are on the picture with the other part. I will publish those parts at some point, but I want to complete this with a few other parts. I will also work out a steering link part as I saw some mentioning it breaks sometime. MJF PA12 print should work perfectly for this purpose...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I published the parts mentioned during the previous post here : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5021935
That was pretty straight forward to change the length of the link while the balls used are the same as for the sway bar...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Finally, the Turbo Optima made its first run today in the garden. I could have done it one the track, but where I was, there was a tremplin in the middle track with no possible shortcut, and I was not ready to get the first run of the Turbo Optima there due to this (I did not really succeed to pass it smoothly with both the Turbo Scorpion and the Javelin, and my friend broke a 1/8 car on it). So it was the garden at the end of the day.

At the end of the run it was a bit dirty

I did manage to check the temp of the motor in the middle of the run and it was quite cold. I believe that I can add some tooth on the motor pinion (not even one but more than this, and by the way the statement is similar for the Javelin - the recommended gearing for 10.5T or 13.5T motor I found on internet seems to be overly conservative).
Another statement : the sway bars present on the Turbo Optima are making a huge difference on curves on the garden slope. It is definitely easier to handle than the Javelin with no sway bar in those conditions...

USAPaulo
Approved Member

Post by USAPaulo »

That's a fantastically detailed build thread, many thanks :D

I'm still trying to get my hands on a Turbo Optima kit, some places here in the US are suggesting they'll have them this month but who knows if that's true?! If anyone happens to spot one online then I'd appreciate a steer! :wink:

I love that colour scheme, I was thinking of gun-metal and orange with black wheels but we shall see if I ever get the chance.

Can I ask if you posted the makes and details of all the electronics you used during the build? I wizzed through it again but didn't see any details except briefly in the first post? I got that you went brushless (with the blue spur gear) but not which motor/ESC/battery and steering servo you used, any chance of listing what you used?

Thanks again for a great build thread :D

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

USAPaulo wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:51 pm Can I ask if you posted the makes and details of all the electronics you used during the build? I wizzed through it again but didn't see any details except briefly in the first post? I got that you went brushless (with the blue spur gear) but not which motor/ESC/battery and steering servo you used, any chance of listing what you used?
That's very simple. Let's go. I'll add the details as well for the Javelin and Turbo Scorpion, but the approach is similar.

Turbo Optima
ESC : SkyRC Toro TS120A no fan, mounted under the the top deck.
Motor : Performa Racing (sensored) stock 10.5T
Sensor cable : 200 mm
Servo : Low profile SPT4412LV (12kg, 0.09s/60°) : it's low budget, works well and is direct fit within the chassis size - a non low profile servo may be too large to fit within the chassis size.
Receiver : flysky FS-BS6 placed under the driver. I don't really use the gyro included, though I've tried in a gymnasium track and it works well.
Mounted with OTW-1126 blue spur gear and 25T pinion to fit with the motor recommended gearing, but I can probably add a few teeth to the motor pinion as per my temp checks during runs.

Javelin
ESC : Performa Racing P1 no fan, mounted under the the top deck. (This ESC is the same as the Kyosho Le Mans brushless ESC, with a different color, and cheaper. Plus the programmation card exist for it)
Motor : Performa Racing (sensored) stock 13.5T
Servo : Low profile SPT4412LV (12kg, 0.09s/60°) - same as Turbo Optima
Receiver : flysky FS-A3 placed under the driver. It's easier to place the driver, as it is lower profile than the FS-BS6
Mounted with OTW-1126 blue spur gear and 28T pinion to fit with the motor recommended gearing, but I can probably add a few teeth to the motor pinion as per my temp checks during runs.

Turbo Scorpion
ESC : Performa Racing P1 no fan
Motor : Performa Racing (sensored) stock 13.5T
Sensor cable : 230 mm
Servo : Low profile SPT4412LV (12kg, 0.09s/60°) - same as Turbo Optima. On this car, a low profile servo may not be required, but you need to pay attention two things : it's a 2WD so speed is important, and a servo with a bulky head won't fit under the body shell.
Receiver : flysky FS-BS6. I had in mind the gyro with the idea it could be useful, but actually I don't use it most of the time...
Standard gearing

In terms of Lipo battery, I have some vintage cars and some Tamiya cars and they are more constraining in terms of battery size. I use Lipos in stick format 134 x 46 x 23,5 mm in 4000mAH/45C or 50C. I works perfectly, and provides a quite decent running time with a discharge rate largely enough for those motors. The Kyosho legendary series are largely easier than the Tamiya in terms of lipo pack choice, and I may consider some shorty pack in HV and higher capacity eventually. I've not made any decision yet, as I don't need to change any of my Lipos yet.

Hope this helps.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I like em dirty :twisted:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:04 am I like em dirty :twisted:
Well you may like those pics :mrgreen: :

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

YES! I like it!!

Hey Dadio, this one's for you. :D
Attachments
P1010310.JPG
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Steady on guys this is a family forum :lol:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

USAPaulo
Approved Member

Post by USAPaulo »

silvertriple wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:40 am
USAPaulo wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:51 pm Can I ask if you posted the makes and details of all the electronics you used during the build? I wizzed through it again but didn't see any details except briefly in the first post? I got that you went brushless (with the blue spur gear) but not which motor/ESC/battery and steering servo you used, any chance of listing what you used?
That's very simple. Let's go. I'll add the details as well for the Javelin and Turbo Scorpion, but the approach is similar.

Turbo Optima
ESC : SkyRC Toro TS120A no fan, mounted under the the top deck.
Motor : Performa Racing (sensored) stock 10.5T
Servo : Low profile SPT4412LV (12kg, 0.09s/60°) : it's low budget, works well and is direct fit within the chassis size - a non low profile servo may be too large to fit within the chassis size.
Receiver : flysky FS-BS6 placed under the driver. I don't really use the gyro included, though I've tried in a gymnasium track and it works well.
Mounted with OTW-1126 blue spur gear and 25T pinion to fit with the motor recommended gearing, but I can probably add a few teeth to the motor pinion as per my temp checks during runs.

In terms of Lipo battery, I have some vintage cars and some Tamiya cars and they are more constraining in terms of battery size. I use Lipos in stick format 134 x 46 x 23,5 mm in 4000mAH/45C or 50C. I works perfectly, and provides a quite decent running time with a discharge rate largely enough for those motors. The Kyosho legendary series are largely easier than the Tamiya in terms of lipo pack choice, and I may consider some shorty pack in HV and higher capacity eventually. I've not made any decision yet, as I don't need to change any of my Lipos yet.

Hope this helps.
Fantastic, many thanks for the additional detail. My background is very Tamiya, NiCad, rotary speed controllers, etc but I'd like to move with the times for any new cars (even 'vintage' re re's! Cheers,
Paul