My Ultima Pro -

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Re: First Ultima Ever!

Post by losiXXXman »

HMMM. Well now I beg the question how wide my car will be with stock arms and RB5 carriers.. Richie, can you measure the Andy's arm pin center to pin center for me :oops: PLEASE? I know that the stock arm is 2.25 (roughly since it truly is a metric item.) Then I'll be able to estimate my finished width, can therefore eye different wheels w/ different offsets.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Ok, roughly, they are 2.5 inches (63.5mm) from pin center to pin center. It looks like they will give a stock Ultima at least another half inch of track.

Oh, don't forget that the RB5 front wheels have more positive offset than an RC10 or original Ultima front wheel.

Dragonii

Post by Dragonii »

Hi guys, I'm new here. Signed up just because of this thread in fact.

I have an old Outrage that was purchased as a "Stadium Baja Beetle" about 12 years ago. I recently bug it out of the closet and decided to rebuild it. I tore it all down, cleaned it up, ordered all new bearings and a new body for it. I remember loving the little car so much.
The only problem that I ever had with it was the resistor for the mechanical speed control burning out and the chassis breaking. Resistor issue has been resolved (an esc is on it's way) and the chassis was reinforced by bonding a piece of sheet metal to the rear section of it between the chassis and dif years ago. I have always wanted to replace the chassis with something stronger than the original plastic but in the days before the internet all I had for info was the lhs guys and they all pretty much said "shouldn't have bought a Kyosho". (The few lhs that we have are all Traxxas or nothing and have been so for a long time.) I have even thought about making my own aluminum chassis for it.
So in my research I came across this post and I see that you are using what looks like an Ultima Pro chassis with Outrage parts on it. Is it really as easy as buying an Ultima Pro chassis and transferring my existing parts to it? Or am I missing something?

So far your build is looking great and has really fueled me to get this old car running again.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Welcome Dragonii!

Basically, an Outrage is the all-plastic version of the Ultima. Most of the parts are identical except for the chassis and a few other bits and bobs. You can get an Ultima pro chassis and transplant all of your bulkheads, suspension components and transmission to it. You'll have to source some parts for mounting a battery and a steering servo.

Here's my build thread: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15755

While you're at it, you may want to replace the plastic shock towers from the Outrage to some Ultima ones. That's the great part of the Outrage is that you can use almost all the mods and Option House parts that work for the Ultima.

Create a build thread and take some pics so we can see your progress! :)

Dragonii

Post by Dragonii »

I'll have to start looking for a chassis then. :)

I'm going to have to take pictures so I can open a thread on it. I am also working on a Tamiya DF02. Bought it as a Monster XX truck from Target for $99 ($43 out of pocket as I had a gift card). I like it but it is all plastic as well. Since I would enjoy building one vs. buying a new one I have decided to gradually upgrade the DF02 to all aluminum parts, with the exception of the chassis that is.
The third vehicle I have is a Redcat Shockwave that was given to me. I have an SH .18 engine, two speed tranny and aluminum clutch on it's way for that one, along with a few other little pieces and parts.
I just like to tinker with things. :)

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Erik,

I saw that those Ultra wheels had less offset. So I was thinking of two options to gain back that width. TG10 axles/long hex. OR Optima rear hub carrier like in your Hot Shot Ultima..Richie's build used a low offset wheel too, and he only spaced the axle out .125.

Richie - Thanks for all the great info and measurements!

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

So I had some $$$ and bought a body and wheels/tires. Haven't had any time to paint and assemble. But here's a preview:

GHOST ULTIMA

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

LOL Now that's what I call a stealth chassis! :mrgreen:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Finally got some more of this together. As I was timmin gth body, I decided I didn't want to sacrifice some of the lines wiith deep cuts for the rear shock tower. So I flipped the rear end around and made here a mid. Don't worry, I've got an idea to fix the anti-squat. I'm either going to run brushed mods rotated 180 degrees or sensorless brushless with two switched wires. I think I;m even going to get inline battery placement as well. Pardon the marker lines on the body, trying to decide on a paint scheme idea.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

losiXXXman wrote: Also, is this a common issue on the Ultima series?

Well, that explains why the Rampage 10's front bulkhead is reinforced past the screw holes on both sides and requires longer hinge pins despite being exactly the same as the Ultima bulkhead design in every other aspect...

dave fugate

Post by dave fugate »

to answer your questions about the jrx2 arms, they are the same as the andy's arms as I used the andys arms on my jrx2 before andys made them for them. If you use the losi arms, use the losi carrier spindles and front axles. the stock bearings fit the duratrax wheels, as that is what I currently use on my jrx2.

Also since you have a ball diff, Robinson Racing made a 48 pitch gear set for the tranny. I see them for sale on ebay alot.

Dave

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Thanks for the comments Dave. Where are you seeing all these 48p sets? Next time you see one pop up - pass the word to me if you don't mind :lol: Fireboy has one up BIN but $35 plus shipping is a little steep for me - I need to snipe one cheaply on an unnoticed auction. BTW, do you see the 48p external sets come up any? I'd like to snag one of those as well.

I managed to squeeze some time in this weekend to throw some pain down. Now that I have, i have decided that I'm undecided about the mid setup. In order to get the body down a little more, it'll have to have a clearance hole like the Optima Mid. So going mid isn't going to preserve the look of the body all that much. Also being that it's a SWB Pro chassis, the Mid setup might make it a bit of a handful to drive. Now that I look at it, i could mount the wing up and to the rear just a little to clear the shock towers for a clean look as well. Maybe I'll drive it like this, and then decide whether to go back - probably the best thing to do honestly. Anyway here's what she looks like with paint.

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Re: MY First Ultima - update - FINISHED.

Post by losiXXXman »

SO I took it back to its original config -rear motor. Re-trimmed the body to fit and added a JG radio tray. Threw what few stickers I had on it - although I wished I had at least one that said Kyosho. Only thing left to do is make a motor guard. (I think I'm going to be able to fit a B4 plastic one on there.) And I still need a gear cover hint hint anyone who's got spares.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: MY First Ultima - update - FINISHED.

Post by Coelacanth »

losiXXXman wrote:Threw what few stickers I had on it - although I wished I had at least one that said Kyosho.
That looks great, Wes. The paint job is simple but bold and effective. PM me your mailing addy again and I'll mail you some Kyosho stickers. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

vintage88
Approved Member

Post by vintage88 »

it looks simply awesome maybe you can take on my rc10 im getting scared lol