Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Sprocket
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Turbo Optima Legendary series - 30619

Post by Sprocket »

Where can I find an OTW-1126 blue spur gear?

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Sprocket wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:58 am Where can I find an OTW-1126 blue spur gear?
It comes back in stock time to times... I backordered mine to my dealer few months before it came back in inventory... And there is ebay, as well, where people are selling some at higher price to benefit of low inventory available. It seems that Kyosho applies a "always produce one less than the demand" approach on those...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Sprocket
Approved Member

Post by Sprocket »

Found one on eBay, the only one I could find is asking $55. I think I can wait this seller out for new product

USAPaulo
Approved Member

Post by USAPaulo »

Sprocket wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:12 pm Found one on eBay, the only one I could find is asking $55. I think I can wait this seller out for new product
I'm on the lookout for one too but I assume they're all sitting in a shipping container waiting to be unloaded somewhere! :lol:

$55 seems steep for something that normally sells for $13!! :shock:

Cheers, Paul

optimaforever
Approved Member

Post by optimaforever »

I had some torsion on my Turbo Op rere chassis. I think the culprit was the rear gearbox. the parts were a little bit skewed and therefore the front and rear gearboxes weren't perfectly aligned. After I screwed the upper plate and the mid spacer it wasn't that obvious anymore but it's surprised me nevertheless to see an imperfection of that scale on a contemporary kit.
I have more than 30 original optimas/mids and never detected this kind of issue. I took some pics but I can't retrieve them on my phone...

That aside, this is a beautiful kit! gold anodizing is too orangish though, compared to the 87 original. Your build reportage is very nice Marc!

One of the reasons I'm not that excited by the Turbo Op rere is because of the tires and no 240S brushed motor :D

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

optimaforever wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:34 am I had some torsion on my Turbo Op rere chassis. I think the culprit was the rear gearbox. the parts were a little bit skewed and therefore the front and rear gearboxes weren't perfectly aligned. After I screwed the upper plate and the mid spacer it wasn't that obvious anymore but it's surprised me nevertheless to see an imperfection of that scale on a contemporary kit.
I have more than 30 original optimas/mids and never detected this kind of issue. I took some pics but I can't retrieve them on my phone...

That aside, this is a beautiful kit! gold anodizing is too orangish though, compared to the 87 original. Your build reportage is very nice Marc!

One of the reasons I'm not that excited by the Turbo Op rere is because of the tires and no 240S brushed motor :D
After the Javelin build I was expecting the same for the Turbo Optima: a build without any issues... or almost issues free. One thing is that the gold treatment maybe the culprit in most of the issues I figured out (that's the key difference with the Javelin): I had to file the rear left arm slightly to achieve a free movement like on the right side, one of the gold shocks internal treatment was also preventing the piston to move in freely... On the different groups and forums I frequent, it seems I'm not alone to have figured out similar issues. Wrong batch? Supplier change? ... I don't know. I reported the issues to Kyosho and moved on. Nothing than sand paper or a file would not be able to fix, and for what I was not able to fix myself, Kyosho Europe was very prompt to react (I'm so used to see some case where you have to wait between 6-8 months to get a replacement part from the manufacturer that I was very happy with that - Don't ask, it's not RC related, but I'm riding a rare motorcycle from an Italian brand, and the spare parts supplies are sometimes an issue)...

optimaforever
Approved Member

Post by optimaforever »

And? what was the reply of Kyosho Europe?

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

optimaforever wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:25 am And? what was the reply of Kyosho Europe?
As mentioned in the thread, they sent me replacement parts (I was having them less than 48 hours later), and for the gold shocks, they propose a replacement, but it would have mean remove the shock from the car, while I had already fixed the issue using some sand paper on the piston part. I responded they were mounted, and indicated the way I fixed the issue, and that's it... (nb: they also mention they will report the problems I highlighted to Kyosho)

USAPaulo
Approved Member

Post by USAPaulo »

I'm just looking forward to the opportunity to see if my kit (if it ever arrives) is complete or not...! :lol:

There's still no indication of when we might see the next batch of rere TO's in the USA :?

Paul,

RIrc10

Post by RIrc10 »

What an awesome build thread the turbo optima is on my list of new buggies

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Personally I'm not a fan of the TO's wheels, they have very light greyish tinge to them (the re-release Optima wheels are the same) and don't look as nice as the originals that are distinctively whiter. I'd also prefer the original 3 piece design so you don't have to glue the tyres on.

Keith :wink:

Zaskar

Post by Zaskar »

Great build thread with some good extra info. I have just got the same rere kit and will be starting the build later today, i'm sure i'll be referencing back to this thread during the build! :D

Zaskar

Post by Zaskar »

@silvertriple

I have just finished the front hub carriers and am puzzled by the O ring for the dogbone into the out diff?...

you did mention earlier-

"And the bag D finishes with the front hub carriers, and the dog bones join the chassis. One small difference again with the Javelin. On the Turbo Optima, there is some O-rings to insert in the out diffs (I don’t remember having done this with the Javelin, and I checked, it is not in the manual for the Javelin)…"

would you mind elaborating please? The manual is not clear because you cannot see the O ring in its final resting place so I really can't figure out where and what to do with this O ring exactly, many thanks!

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Zaskar wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:21 pm @silvertriple

I have just finished the front hub carriers and am puzzled by the O ring for the dogbone into the out diff?...

you did mention earlier-

"And the bag D finishes with the front hub carriers, and the dog bones join the chassis. One small difference again with the Javelin. On the Turbo Optima, there is some O-rings to insert in the out diffs (I don’t remember having done this with the Javelin, and I checked, it is not in the manual for the Javelin)…"

would you mind elaborating please? The manual is not clear because you cannot see the O ring in its final resting place so I really can't figure out where and what to do with this O ring exactly, many thanks!
I just took a screenshot of the manual and highlighted the o-rings... The O-rings goes in the out diffs.

As per my understanding, this is not present on Optima and Javelin Legendary series kit. And often made afterwards by owner to avoid the front dog bones to pop out...

Zaskar

Post by Zaskar »

Yes thankyou, so you mean the dog bone just squashes the o ring into the cup?, surely after one run the o ring will be trashed?

PS sorry if i'm ruining your thread!