== Who the Heck Are You? ==

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

wts873
Approved Member

Re: =WHO THE HECK ARE YOU?=

Post by wts873 »

Hi! Im Matt and I've been colecting these little cars for about 10 years. My first car was a Used Jr-T I got when I was 14. That car slowly became a LXT, then I got a duratrax gas conversion and blew the engine. I ended up trading it for two subs and a amp and didnt mess with them again for along time.
I was introduced to ebay around 2002 and that is where I found my two gold tubs and A&L trailing arm kit. The used 6 gear tub got the arms and a matching set for the front and became my runner. The other tub was new built never ran CE and still is today. From that start came the addiction that I have now :twisted:

Edited for content.

Keyz
Approved Member

Post by Keyz »

Hey Guys,
Just thought I would say hi from NZ, and that I am glad I have rediscovered this website, boy it's got good since I first visited here! I race offroad buggys, and collect a few too, and am an obsessive compulsive when it comes to the offroad worlds.

Hence, I am absolutely loving the scans section of this website! I once had that 1993 Worlds magazine, boy am I kicking myself I got rid of it. I will hopefully have some treats of my own to add to the great selection of articles available, it is great to know I am not alone.

I will post pics at some stage of my collection, as well as a wtb list, as I am sure this is the right place to find the stuff I need.

Just coming up to my first wedding anniversay, though we have been together over 10 years.

Started racing my Tamiya Falcon in the late 80's, had a Schumacher Cougar (would kill for one! lol..), then quit while at high school. Returned to onroad racing when my (now wife) girlfriend asked me what 'that car' (my cougar) was on the garage shelf. Boy, whe didn't know what a can of worms she opened.

Got it going, sold it (doh!) to buy a second hand mini and raced onroad in various classes for about 5 years. Got pretty good by our standards, then realised what a money pit it was when I had spent $400 on foam tyres for one nationals in TC mod and that I needed new batteries to be fast. Quit onroad and sold everything except one 2wd buggy and my radio and old batteries and motors. Started racing again a year later, and here I am still racing off road.

Started collecting cars with my RC10 new Built and restoration project in 2002. Still haven't finished the resto'... I'll fit right in lol...

R-NO
Approved Member

Post by R-NO »

My name : Arno
Picked up my first r/c magazine back in ’89. From that day forward I drove my parents nuts constantly asking for a Tamiya Monster Beetle. Later that year I went to see a race. The hook was set.
With my personal driving abilities being ‘limited’, I finally figured out some years ago I would never become a pro, still my fascination to pro level rc was very strong so I kept going to races just to watch.
I started taking pictures at the races. Racers asked for my photos, things slowly got busy and I got noticed by a magazine and started to write race reports. I now mainly cover 1/8 off road races for a website.
Photo courtesy of Jason Boulanger©

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

My name is Joey King, and I have been addicted to RC Racing for over 20 years. I got my first hobby grade RC car for helping paint the inside of my neighbors house. Took my 2 weekends, but he went and picked up a Frog for me. From there I went nuts, after high school, I bought a blackfoot, grasshopper, then an Ultima...started racing with the blackfoot & grasshopper (dirt oval). Ultima started me in off road, then I picked up a JRX2, first day they were released to the public, went to Ranch Pit Shop and bought one. Plain white box with big red JRX2 on the cover. Hooked with Losi from then until about 2 years ago when I broke down and bought a B4. Tried that for a bit, converted it to an X6, sold that and went back to Kyosho...where I am still now. On the 4wd scene, been pretty limited, XX4 (still have it), Academy SB V1, SB V2, and now ZX5 (main racer). I happened across a beat RC10 gold pan, did some work on a neighbors TMaxx in trade, and have been cleaning up and setting some up to race ever since. Hopefully I will have things sorted out enough to actually hit the track after the first of the year. Plan on getting 2 race ready, one for brushed stock, and the other for brushless modified. I currently have 3 complete (minus running gear) and 2~3 in process. As the wife keeps asking...how many am I gonna "collect"...dunno. Just got a line on a full runner 10T team truck from an employee for $50. Gotta figure out how to pass this one into the house....hmmmmm.

I am based in Orange County California and am an RC Junkie......

R-NO, what track is that? I know Jason is based out here, he takes awesome photos.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

skunk.werkz
Approved Member

Post by skunk.werkz »

Name :: Andrew
Years in R/C :: 15
First R/C :: RC10 Champ Ed. w/Stealth tranny
RC10's owned? :: ~10 or 11 currently, sold 4-5 in the past years

BeerGnome

Post by BeerGnome »

good evening lady, and maybe a few gentleman..

I figured I'd introduce myself before I played any further in yer site..

I'm PJ From Richmond, Virginia. I'm a brewer by trade and help crank out the product from Legend brewing company. I regularly keep my fellow employees entertained by floating micro helicopters around the fermentation tanks.

I grew up in RC, my father was a top pilot in our region back in the 70's and 80's, and we built my first plane back in 86, a plane I still fly to this day..

one summer back in the late 80's/early 90's I started begging my dad for a RC car, my young mind figured it would be far easier to just play with it around the homestead, and learn simple orientation techniques..

the old man in his wisdom did his research, and picked out for me the leading kit of the time.. the venerable RC10 aluminum tub with all the bearings..

I never got past the veritable resiter servo throttle, and when that died.. I hooked up the servo arm to a momentary switch to keep it running..
eventually, my cheap little AM band futaba radio crapped out and I became a teenager.. and the poor little RC10 was retired to collect dust and debris.

truth be known.. most of the time I kept her tuned to a street configuration, and my bodies were all the hot rods I dreamed of owning as a kid..
A Shelby AC cobra body was my first on body for the car..
followed by both ZZ top bodies.. first the venerable 34 ford coup, then the little known Cadzilla body.

now I'm 33 years old, married, and settled down.. not much hope for kids, but plenty of varmints me and the missus can live vicariously through.. I've picked up that RC bug back up since my Home brewing hobby turned into a carrier.
the planes are flying, I'm playing with live steam for the boats.. and I'm in the midsts of restoring that old gold tub RC10 that gave me so many good memories.

below is a rather recent pic.. I'm the one in the middle
Attachments
santa and the girls.jpg
santa and the girls.jpg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
santa and the girls.jpg
santa and the girls.jpg (52.81 KiB) Viewed 2852 times

Chrominator
Approved Member

Post by Chrominator »

Hi my name is Mike , I'm from AZ.
I got my first RC, a Associated T3 in Aug. of 02 for my birthday.
Since then I've owned and raced T3, B4, T4, GT and then switch to losi and now race a BK2 and MF2 .

I race at SRS in Scottsdale Az.

I also have a Kyosho SP2 1/8 buggy and a Xray T2 touring car, that I race every once in a while.

I stumbled on to a pretty clean RC10 CE gold tub a few years ago , at my local hobby shop, for $50.

I obviously was not into RC cars back in the good old days , but I had heard lots of the old time racers talking about the old gold tubs , so I thought it would be cool to buy it, and clean and restore it .

I did not know that there was such a big following for these old RCs till I found this web site , which I think is pretty cool.

Now that I've been looking at all the other members shelf queens and restorations , I finally got the bug to start my RC10 CE restoration.
Attachments
18732_seconds_at_Catus-med.jpg
18732_seconds_at_Catus-med.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
18732_seconds_at_Catus-med.jpg
18732_seconds_at_Catus-med.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
Hi my name is Mike and I'm a Chromaholic, my wheels have been chrome free for over a year, thanks to everyone that made fun of them.

The older I get , the faster I was.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

wellcome buddy,
We planned on getting a picture contest with the combination of nice lady/ladies and your personal car.
Unfortunately for you, it never took of after the initial enthusiasm.

rc10DS fan
Approved Member

Post by rc10DS fan »

hello, im mike.
hobbies: too many lololol
employment: shipping
gf/w: none
fav car: AE rc10DS seris
pic: none right now.

stulec52
Approved Member

Post by stulec52 »

Hi all,

Stu from Scotland, now living in Calgary, Canada.
Many of you will know me from TamiyaClub and other forums, but I wanted to join up here as it's about flippin' time I got my RC-10 finished properly.
My most noted race history with RC-10s is that my original car was the first car I ever got into a Scottish National A final. Back in the days with lots of entries only racing the 1 class....
I miss those days, and also being in the top 6 !!

Stu

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

"I wanna know where da gold at!"

I've been registered here for a while now and I haven't taken the time to do this. Anyways, my name is Rich, I'm married with 2 baby girls and I live in Southern California. I am a Project Manager for a large national health care company. My first rc car was a Tamiya Frog which I completely wore out. Then I wore out a Kyosho Turbo Ultima. I would hang out at the RPS raceway in Pomona and dream about Yokomo SEs and RC10s. Then I took a break when I got a real car and discovered boobs. :) I didn't pick up the bug again until I moved back to California from Atlanta in 1998. Yeah, somewhere in there, I lived in Atlanta, GA. Nice place, but the south is a bit odd for a boy from southern california. People would tell me I talked funny. :| Anyways, here's a pic of me and the oldest. I'm always looking to trade though my collection is small and I don't "stock" tons of parts. You know how it is with kids...all about Dora, Handy Manny and baby dolls.
Attachments
small.jpg
small.jpg (178.81 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
small.jpg
small.jpg (178.81 KiB) Viewed 2535 times

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Hi all - Paul from Switzerland here, first post. Started in the hobby in 1986 with a european car, an Bullit, in electric version, slow as a dog ;) then monster beetle, then optima mid custom and so on... I started running in a club in 1995, 8th scale track, then moved to the US in 1997, and started racing electric TC in Austin, Texas, in 1998, mainly at Discount Hobbies (Tony and Joe, if you read this, Paul says hi :) ), but also some offroad 2wd truck and 4wd in Killeen, K&M and Performance in Houston, also travelled to Louisiana and such... great memories from my US years. Then I settled in switzerland end 2000 and started racing 8th scale onroad again - then I definitely moved to electric DTM in 2003, and now I'm racing a cyclone hara. I've never owned an RC10 before as they were way too expensive when I was a kid, and Losi was way better supported in my area when I was in the US... but frankly this is one of the cars I've desired the most and now I'm searching for a mint goldtub (offers by PM welcome btw)!

On the personal guy I work as a finance controller (let's call it this way) for the european headquarters of a big, big US company. I am married to a lady who's 99% wonderful (the remaining 1% is linked to the fact that she thinks I'm a retard who plays with little toy cars) and I have a one year-old baby girl whose arrival has seriously perturbated my RC racing schedule ;)

TTYL on the forum
Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

My name is Brandon, married to Kimberly, son's name is Owen. I currently live close to Nashville, TN, and I work for a paper mill as an instrumentation tech, vibration analysis, and infrared scanning.

Got my first R/C, I remember, on the way home from watching Back to the Future in theaters. Hornet it was. Started racing a Turbo Ultima in San Diego, CA at El Cajon, Del Mar, and the track beside Jack Murphy Stadium. I have been collecting and selling for many years now, and have finally realized that every car I have ever sold, I wish I hadn't. I have about 30 vintage cars in my ever growing collection, and now race 1/8th buggy, Slash truck, and 1/10 2wd buggy. Can't seem to get anybody interested in vintage racing out here though.....
Attachments
DSC01109.JPG

dangermouse
Approved Member

Post by dangermouse »

Hi my name is Doug and I am from Queensland Australia.

I was 14 when I got my first RC car, a Tamiya Fox. After hacking around on the street for a while I took it to few indoor race meets. At the race meets I was blown away by the SWB Schumacher Cats which had just come out. They were a class above all the modded Tamiya and Kyosho 4wd cars of the time. I really wanted one.

After moving interstate my parents bought me a Cat XL which I went on to race successfully. I progressed though an Ultima, Ultima pro, Losi Jrx2 and Cougar in 2wd. In 4wd I raced the XL, XLS, Procat and also a modded Yokomo Dogfighter.

I've still got quite a few vintage cars, my favourites being the early Schumacher 4wds. I don't have any pan RC10's though I would snap one up in an instant if the right one came along. I do have a nice B3 which I run on a regular basis.

Anyway, this is a great forum you guys have here. I'll put some info and pics up of my cars as time goes by.

Cheers, Doug.

skimr2

Post by skimr2 »

Allright,
I recently bought a used rc10 on ebay, slapped some new electronics in it and primarily use it to chase my dog around the cul de sac and yard.
I do enjoy modeling however, and am working on getting a set of old school wheels and tires and getting a nice old school paint job on my new body.
I just got back in the hobby this year as something to do and work on in the winter.
I used to have a number of cars, a Kyosho Turbo Optima, a Tamiya Clodbuster, and even took a Losi Jrx-2 to the races a couple of times.
Other hobbies are real cars, I have a Toyota MR2 Turbo for the street and a Porsche 944 race car that I run in 944 spec class at the track.
I ski a lot in the winter, and know you know a bit about me.