Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project

The place for all things Nichimo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple
Approved Member

Re: Bormac's Nichimo Midships 443 WDS - An unexpected project

Post by silvertriple »

Second 23 hours print of this project, I really want to make sure my dims are right before I can send the car and parts back to Jason.

This time it is much better

And I put the gearbox in the chassis with the propeller shaft to make sure about everything... It fits :)

I made very few minor adjustments. The Midships chassis parts are now good to go. The Midhsips bodyshell still requires few adjustments.

On the Exceed side, I still need to review the chassis, and the roll cage as well (it seats on the Exceed top chassis I may replace following the change I did on both Midships chassis parts (for which some measurements changed) - I'm going to take the time to think on the way to proceed before doing anything there).
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Excellent job :!:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Progressively revalidating every single component...
I even found mistakes on the Spirit CAD while doing the analysis (minor, but still).

Remains in the todo list before being able to send the car down under :
- rework the Midships bodyshell. I've put Jason in contact with another friend in Australia with a Vac-forming machine, and we will try to do something here starting from the bodyshell model. I need to get it right, I know more or less what to do to make it much better, but that will require some of my attention...
- rework the Exceed roll cage. I replaced the chassis component in the Exceed file, and the roll cage needs to be modified accordingly. I may have to rebuild the sides, but even if it is the case, It should be fine, I have a roadmap, and it is just to follow.

After that, I will need to work out the transmission.
- As mentioned earlier, the central diff is not currently printable. I need to change a few things to get it printable (multiple areas were thickness is .5mm or less).
- I will also review the front and rear diff to make them easier to print.

I will have to order some bodyshells to TBG, and that will include an Exceed one, with both the target of modeling a car and second to cover the printed car (once that happens - because at the end, this will happen - not sure when, though :) )

Last I want to do a fully exploded view of the transmission, juts for fun :-)

kabel

Post by kabel »

Hi,
I dont want to hijack your thread, but I am very happy to find this forum and your thread. I recently rescued my old rc car before it had been sent to the trash. It's in pretty good shape, there is an aluminium plate to strengthen the piece in front of the car, that worked very well and is decent looking. At the back the cage has been fixed, minor issue. Maybe I should clean it.. ;) I really liked that car, but rc planes were and are my main rc hobby… :) My back to boy phase is rising… ;) Here are some photos I took…

Best
Gerald
22AD4FAC-226F-4CF4-8BB8-5C4A3D768EA2.jpeg
CAB4A7CF-E397-4451-B10B-6253C7D76052.jpeg
6EAB519E-5F2E-4600-A7C2-87D0FB80A345.jpeg
72C7234A-296B-4C81-8AF0-59050E10CDB0.jpeg
4031701A-9662-464F-8A6B-2412ED4EAA4B.jpeg

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

kabel wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:56 pm Hi,
I dont want to hijack your thread, but I am very happy to find this forum and your thread. I recently rescued my old rc car before it had been send to the trash. It in pretty good shape, there is a aluminium plate to strengthen to piece in front of the car, that worked very well and is decent looking. At the back the cage has been fixed, minor issue. Maybe I should clean it.. ;) I really liked that car, but rc planes were and are my main rc hobby… :) My back to boy phase is rising… ;) Here are some photos I took…

Best
Gerald

Welcome on this thread and on this forum... The Midships is a quite rare car, and yours is in nice state compared to the one I modeled which is currently travelling to reach his owner...
In case you need parts for yours, I plan to put the files for the plastic parts at some point in the near future on Thingiverse...

kabel

Post by kabel »

Hi Silvertriple,

I thought I could repair my broken cage at the end, I pulled off the tape and saw there are two "things" missing. I think these things could be easily replaced with 3d printed parts, maybe that elements for the screw with a sort piece of rod on bothe sides, then I could cut off a little of the existing rod and join everything with something inside, what do you think? Do you have 3d printing files for this part? :)

Here is a picture of that part (the screw driver is pointing to the part which is missing for reference):
IMG_7924.JPG

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

The roll cage parts are quite long, and they may be too long for a viable 3Dprint. I'll check this.

As for the files, I'm not finished yet, as there is still some ongoing work, but I'll publish them at some point (I'm not sure when yet). Keep watching this thread :)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Those long members of the cage look like they may be similar length to the Zerda , if so they may just fit , otherwise if it's just for you could you rely on the before mentioned "flexibility" of cage parts and play with the angles a bit of put a slight curve in the shorter straight rear cage sections to shorten the length a bit ?
Or do what I did with the Zerda for a test print and split the part .
IMG_20220613_214219_370.jpg
IMG_20220613_214255_328.jpg
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

This way of splitting would not work on the Midships... It's part of the activities noted down on my todo list to find a way to split the cage.

No easy way, as I'd like to find a way to do which is not visible easily and which remains solid to allow runs, and that is not that easy...

kabel

Post by kabel »

Impressive work and thanks for your response. For my car I just need the last little element of that cage, that should be no problem for a 3d printed part. Maybe I will just glue it, or I will strengthen the joint with some thin carbon rovings.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-15 um 11.27.07.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-15 um 11.38.36.png

kabel

Post by kabel »

Concerning the whole cage, maybe you could print the cage as rods, not solid, and use some 1-2mm carbon or metal inside the rods to join and strengthen them... just a quick idea...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

kabel wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:56 am Concerning the whole cage, maybe you could print the cage as rods, not solid, and use some 1-2mm carbon or metal inside the rods to join and strengthen them... just a quick idea...
Had already some thoughts about this : the problem is that Nichimo plastic are not very strong and making a roll cage too rigid may be bad for the chassis. The roll cage have to be flexible enough to absorb part of any shock during a roll over...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

kabel wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:50 am Impressive work and thanks for your response. For my car I just need the last little element of that cage, that should be no problem for a 3d printed part. Maybe I will just glue it, or I will strengthen the joint with some thin carbon rovings.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-15 um 11.27.07.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-15 um 11.38.36.png
You may take the stls from the Spirit FF roll cage, and take the piece you are searching for from there, and split the body to get it :-)

Otherwise you'll have to wait a bit more for this, as I do not have access to my personal computer right now...

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

At the front of the cage maybe 20-25mm from front is a cross piece with screws in it, you could hide a joint there that might make it just short enough for commercial printing, it would also be away from most roll over stress.

kabel

Post by kabel »

Thanks, I just saw your Spirit FF work, just impressive and great! Now I want to print a new front bumper from your spirit ff files, it should be the same to the midships, I hope. I searched services where you can print it with that nice material you also used, but the dimensions of the bumper are too big for all services I find, where did you print? :)

Thanks a lot
Gerald