RC10 rerelease is this rumour true?

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Live_Steam_Mad

RC10 rerelease is this rumour true?

Post by Live_Steam_Mad »

Hi, someone just left a comment on the RC10 " The Winning Edge with Jammin' Jay " video which says "I hear that 84 rc10 coming back with aluminum wheels and aluminum gear boxs. my dad going buy one and his friends will to. when will new rc10 be out?".

Is this true?

Anybody got any gossip on this one?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Re: RC10 rerelease is this rumour true?

Post by mrlexan »

What video are you talking about.... the one you are referencing is just as old as the car is, unless I am missing something. How could a comment be left on an old video?

Don't stur up this hornets nest. I would doubt that Thunder Tiger would see the business sense in today's economy.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

It's a comment on his Tamiyaclub page about the video.

Either way, don't read into the commet. Probably just a kid. Not going to happen.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

I highly doubt a re-release of any kind is coming. AE hasn't even acknowledged the 25th aniv. of the rc-10. How hard would it have been to put up a logo or something on the website, or even to do a limited edition B4-RTR with a retro paint scheme?
Too busy churning out 1/8 scalers and short course trucks I guess.

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Too much labor cost involved with the stamped tub to make it profitable, and too many old worn out molds that would need to be refurbed or remade all together. That's why some old parts are not available anymore, the molds are simply worn out.

Bottom line an RC10 rerelease aint gonna happen.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

its a shame too since tamiya can re-release the rough rider (im sure they had to make new molds for that too) and turn some sort of profit, but associated isnt/wont.

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad »

aconsola wrote:I highly doubt a re-release of any kind is coming. AE hasn't even acknowledged the 25th aniv. of the rc-10. How hard would it have been to put up a logo or something on the website, or even to do a limited edition B4-RTR with a retro paint scheme?
Too busy churning out 1/8 scalers and short course trucks I guess.
Good point. Yeah I love those Short Course trucks, the more realistic the better though.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad »

markt311 wrote:Too much labor cost involved with the stamped tub to make it profitable, and too many old worn out molds that would need to be refurbed or remade all together. That's why some old parts are not available anymore, the molds are simply worn out.

How do you account for the re-release Rough Rider then?

They sold many many thousands of SRB's so the moulds must have had some wear, and yet still re-released the RR, even though they had to in some cases I imagine make new moulds?

Regards,

ARG.

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad »

To be honest the one I really can't figure out is Kyosho. Kyosho usually watches what Tamiya are doing quite closely it seems, and you would have thought (given the stupid money Optima's and Scorpion's are going for on the bay) that Kyosho would see a few Yen profit in the re-release idea, but apparently not? Maybe it's to do with the culture in the company management, more than anything else?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i read somewhere that kyosho destroys/recycles old molds and they wont re-release any cars that are discontinued, dont know where it was read but it was a somewhat reputable source i think if i remember them saying that, otherwise i woulda discarded it as BS

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Don't shoot...this is just my 2 cents worth:

It's kind of funny that a product with such a historical significance goes virtually ignored by the company that made it. Good old AE ain't what it used to be folks....they sold out in the name of quantity vs. quality a few years ago.

I'm sure 99% of us would jump at the chance of a brand new aluminum beauty, but let's face it...if it isn't produced in the USA, it will never be the same car we all seem to waste much of our free time over..

If Ford decided to make the Mustang in China, how many of us would jump at the chance to buy one then? Wouldn't it be a slap in the face for those of us who are into unique Amercian icons?

I like the idea of a special "team" edition B4 w/Halsey colors (for at least a little recognition of the 1st world champ), but I guess our friends in Taiwan are more interested in cranking out plenty of replacement chassies for the current SC10. Plastic is cheap to produce. (and profitable when it breaks a lot)

The real RC10 was as much a significant part of our hobby's history as the German made VW Beetle was to small cars. I miss 'em both, but they're not coming back.

Tamiya can do what it wants in regards to the re-releases, I'm holding out for the 'Scorcher. At least there's no quality issues to worry about...

This forum, and the lucky few of us who find our favorite toy through estate sales, flea markets, old friends... & outbidding our fellow enthusiasts on E-Bay each day will keep it alive.
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Live_Steam_Mad wrote:
markt311 wrote:Too much labor cost involved with the stamped tub to make it profitable, and too many old worn out molds that would need to be refurbed or remade all together. That's why some old parts are not available anymore, the molds are simply worn out.

How do you account for the re-release Rough Rider then?

They sold many many thousands of SRB's so the moulds must have had some wear, and yet still re-released the RR, even though they had to in some cases I imagine make new moulds?

Regards,

ARG.
It's a different company with different priorities, call AE if you want a straight answer. We are just guys speculating on an internet forum.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

JPAE07
Approved Member

Post by JPAE07 »

It's a different company with different priorities. x2

When I first got back into R/C over a year ago I went to Associated. I asked someone in customer service (who worked at AE since the early 90's) whether a re-release was possible. He told me the chassis' molds got corroded and were subsequently thrown away. Plus, the reproduction of the molds would cost more than the estimated demand.

Pure speculation but...
Its simple to realize, keeping what I said above in mind, that TT purchased Associated for brand name and presence. Not to dig up and hail its past, which it didn't even participate in. The Company is lucky to still have pieces of its current direction forward driven by those like Cliff Lett. I believe he is the Product Development Manager over there so I'm sure the re-release idea has been kicked around.

tamiya
Approved Member

Post by tamiya »

does everyone (apart from me) on this thread own at least 1 goldtub? :)

are you all nervous that a re-re will decimate resale values? :D

was heaps of SRB owners that swore black-n-blue that T would never re-re those yet 2009
here we are... yes all the molds are "fresh" newies - but Tamiya do all that inhouse anyway.

All told... its probably less risk to tool up for a re-re than a all-new unproven design;
there's a huge fan base and there's good chance you'll sell enough to breakeven.
Although once the fans have bought their share... sales would probably plateau
& convincing modernday shopkeepers to stock them could be a challenge.

yes Kyosho don't believe in reliving their history, they prefer to design new stuff

then again, some of their original engineers are now at HPI? :P

as for a authentic re-re of a 1:1 VW Beetle, Model-T Ford, MGB or other iconic model...
it AIN'T NEVER GUNNA HAPPEN purely due to modern safety & emissions legislations.

Remanufacture of any old design will make them current-year vehicles and
that requires them to pass current Rules to be able to be registered for public road use.

But if you have enough $$, plenty of small firms out there today doing authentic replicars of
famous racing icons for track use etc. Some authentic enough to enjoy parts interchangeability.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

are you all nervous that a re-re will decimate resale values?
to care about resale value one would have to want to sell there rc10 one day ...if anything it would be good to have low resale,then i could get stuff cheap :mrgreen: :mrgreen: