SWB CAT

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

uzzi
Approved Member

Re: SWB CAT

Post by uzzi »

You are very fortunate indeed....its like you have a cellar full of fine wines and just waiting for those special occasions to enjoy them :lol: Do you collect any 1/8 stuff by the way (onroad or offroad) or planning to review any?

I know what you mean about the those old ABC models Kyosho stock. Once they started to close the shops down they had boxes with huge price reductions but who wanted those old rc parts? :lol:

I am from WA btw

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Yep - collect all the stuff I loved when I was a kid.....very tragic! To be honest - I have less than 10 cars to go now and I have every car on my list. Then I will get rid of the ones I dont feel ïn love with" anymore. I love the early 1/8th on and off roaders - dont have alot of them though. More of a "buggy boy" to be honest.

WA - sweet - beautiful State, would love to holiday there sometime - only go for work at the moment.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Well Darryn if you are ever in the area drop me a line be good to meet.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

RETRO R/C wrote: I have about 9 or 10 cars to resotre/build.
Game on!

I still need to find me a new SWB undertray.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

mrlexan wrote: I still need to find me a new SWB undertray.
I'm working on trying to get one to you. Just taking a little longer than expected to have my original copied before I send one over to you. Any news on when you think you will be producing your SWB body trays?

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

www.gojammedia.com

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

What fantastic news that is! Thanks a lot for doing these repros! You already have a pm from me... :D

Lode1975

Post by Lode1975 »

Uzzi,

I see why you recognized my SWB cat on the XLS forum!
Stunning car you got there!
Do you think it would be possible to reuse my bodyshell?
I tried to get rid of the red paint, but it was horrible.
I'm not sure repainting it from the inside would do any good.
That explains why i'm reluctant to start with the undertray...
Any suggestions?

Cheers

Lode

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Hi Lode,

It really depends what you want to do with the car as it is a really rare buggy....keep it a runner or turn it into a shelf queen? In its condition (and its really nice I might add) I would get a repro body from Mrlexan and shelf it (but that is me :lol: ). Get a newer buggy for running as you can at least get spares for it. However, if you still persist in running the car I think you could still salvage the old shell.

Firstly, find out what paint was used...proper lexan paint or plastic model paint. If plastic model paints was used it will flake off readily...maybe use a bit of steam (however be very careful here) to soften it and scrap it off using something soft (e.g. cotton buds/pop sticks).

What did you use to remove the paint originally? I normally use nitro fuel to remove proper lexan paint...just dip a rag in fuel and rub it into the paint (I did an article in the paint section about paint removal by the way). It might take a few attempts as the paint could be stubborn. Any really stubborn spots I use old wet and dry sandpaper under water (very lightly) to remove. Do not soak the lexan in the fuel or leave it on for very long periods as it will cause it to 'cloud' up or turn white (it also 'cracks' up the lexan). Be very careful around the windows area (maybe even mask it up to prevent damage). Wash off the nitro fuel with dish washing liquid and water before painting of course.

What colours are you thinking of repainting it? I noticed your shell now has a pinkish hue...if the nitro fuel method does not work I would go for a darker colour. However, if you want to use lighter colours once I would go over the entire shell with very fine wet n dry sandpaper (under water) to even up any blemishes. Do not worry too much about the scratches, you would be surprise what the new paint will cover up.

I can't really tell but if the holes in the undertray are damaged I would get plastic washers to prevent any further tearing or reinforce with shoe goo and lexan pieces. I hope this helps.....see how you go and good luck with your project.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

For what it's worth, I have a couple repro SWB bodies available.
www.gojammedia.com

Lode1975

Post by Lode1975 »

uzzi wrote:Hi Lode,

It really depends what you want to do with the car as it is a really rare buggy....keep it a runner or turn it into a shelf queen? In its condition (and its really nice I might add) I would get a repro body from Mrlexan and shelf it (but that is me :lol: ). Get a newer buggy for running as you can at least get spares for it. However, if you still persist in running the car I think you could still salvage the old shell.

Firstly, find out what paint was used...proper lexan paint or plastic model paint. If plastic model paints was used it will flake off readily...maybe use a bit of steam (however be very careful here) to soften it and scrap it off using something soft (e.g. cotton buds/pop sticks).

What did you use to remove the paint originally? I normally use nitro fuel to remove proper lexan paint...just dip a rag in fuel and rub it into the paint (I did an article in the paint section about paint removal by the way). It might take a few attempts as the paint could be stubborn. Any really stubborn spots I use old wet and dry sandpaper under water (very lightly) to remove. Do not soak the lexan in the fuel or leave it on for very long periods as it will cause it to 'cloud' up or turn white (it also 'cracks' up the lexan). Be very careful around the windows area (maybe even mask it up to prevent damage). Wash off the nitro fuel with dish washing liquid and water before painting of course.

What colours are you thinking of repainting it? I noticed your shell now has a pinkish hue...if the nitro fuel method does not work I would go for a darker colour. However, if you want to use lighter colours once I would go over the entire shell with very fine wet n dry sandpaper (under water) to even up any blemishes. Do not worry too much about the scratches, you would be surprise what the new paint will cover up.

I can't really tell but if the holes in the undertray are damaged I would get plastic washers to prevent any further tearing or reinforce with shoe goo and lexan pieces. I hope this helps.....see how you go and good luck with your project.

Hi Uzzi,

Thanks a lot for your reply

The condition of my car is nothing compared to yours, I guess :D

I think the main reason that it's condition is ok, is that besides a few laps on my parents lawn a long time ago, it only did some runs in the living room... :wink:
Sometimes I think it's a pity that my old Grasshopper (which is quite ruined) saw more action than this competition car...
Now, i just want to make sure it's fully functional, but it will clearly spend 99,9% of the time on the shelf, maybe just some laps around the table when there's people over for dinner :lol:

I tried to clean the bodyshell with cleaning fuel, which didn't work at all (the original paint job was really bad, and paint was like 2mm thick...), and then tried with nail polish remover, after a hint I read on the net :?
Paint came off already, but now there's a pink hue on the shell, with clouding everywhere...
Originally I thought of repainting it in white, but maybe I'll make it red again, and try to save what's possible. All the other body parts are undamaged, there's just some paint that came off around the screws in the undertray.

Anyway, I'll see with MrLexan about the SWB repro bodies. I could finally get my white body for on the shelf :)

Cheers

Lode

PS: I'll add some extra pictures of the car and body, all remarks and suggestions are welcome

Lode1975

Post by Lode1975 »

mrlexan wrote:For what it's worth, I have a couple repro SWB bodies available.
Hi MrLexan,

I'm more than interested in the getting a new SWB body!
Do you have a complete bodyset, including undertray and wing?
Can you give me more details?

Don't hesitate to mail me to discuss...

Grtz,

Lode

jeroen206
Approved Member

Post by jeroen206 »

PS: I'll add some extra pictures of the car and body, all remarks and suggestions are welcome

Great looking SWB cat do you got there Lode.

But you should install the upper frontwishbones the other way round.

Lode1975

Post by Lode1975 »

jeroen206 wrote:PS: I'll add some extra pictures of the car and body, all remarks and suggestions are welcome

Great looking SWB cat do you got there Lode.

But you should install the upper frontwishbones the other way round.
You're right! Never noticed it before...
Gonna check the manual about how to fix it.
Hope it will be possible without taking apart the front differential...

Grtz

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Mate,

That is a really clean looking swb CAT, they are really rare and simply deserves a new shell. Save yourself a lot of grief...just get a body from Mr Lexan and be done with it. I removed the paint on mine as I did not have that option at the time (but have since gotten myself afew sets). The only thing is Mr Lexan's shells does not come with a wing so you might still have to work on that one.

In regards to the suspension it was kinda weird as mine came like that as well but when you turn the steering it comes out with the weirdest suspension movements. Its a simple job really......what you do is remove the 2 screws that attach the suspension arms to the shock tower. Swap the left to the right...you are done.