$15.00 lipos

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mikedealer
Approved Member

$15.00 lipos

Post by mikedealer »

has anyone tried these or any of the similiar hong kong $15-$30 dollar lipos?

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-4v-5000mAh-30C-Lipo-Li-Po-RC-Battery-1-10-Car-Boat-WF_W0QQitemZ270527064258QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles?hash=item3efcab68c2

i know they are soft cased obviously, does roar require hard cases for them still?

will these work with a car ok? obviously they maybe a fire hazard since they are made in hong kong but for $15 i may try some if the specs seem to work, im not expert on lipos so maybe someone wants to chime in?

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Re: $15.00 lipos

Post by purpletimbo »

I might chance soft in an on-road if it was well protected, but never in an offroader, for the price, those a-main new range look a good deal, roar approved as well. they are cheap enough to consider UK postage let alone if you live there.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/155518/n/ProTek-R-C-2S-Sport-Race-Li-Poly-25C-Battery-Pack-74V-5000mAh-w-Traxxas-Connector
:D

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

ROAR legality I'm not sure of, but they should work fine. I personally run soft lipos on extremely rough terrain and have had no problems. I'm not suggesting it, just stating that I do. Those should be fine. This place may have more reasonable shipping, but they are out of stock on a lot of 2s stuff. I know someone that has used them and they gave great reviews.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/batteries.html
I would try and get a 40c 2s 5000mah if they ever get back in stock. :roll: Of course, you need to have the right balance tap which I haven't priced. They have a nice priced charger on there too.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

I have been useing these and find them great for bashing.Its a good way of keeping your good batteries for racing.Its amazing how cheap these are[$15 AU posted] and they are still way better than any nimah on the planet.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160399168658&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

DrumAnBass

Post by DrumAnBass »

Just bought a pair of those myself; $25 US shipped, for 2 of the 4000 mAh 15c from eBay seller demonerrr. Still probably a week away from receiving them in the mail. I plan on using them strictly for bashing; good to know they work well!

Any issues running these with a old brushed motor and esc? I know I can't let them get down below 3v - I bought a couple of the LiPo alarms since my ESC doesn't have an auto-cutoff.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

2 issues I think, the low voltage cut off you mention. Be sure to use an alarm or cut off, stop if you notice any drop off in performance, remember to unhook the battery when done.

And watch you brushed motor temps and such, lipos run longer so it’s harder on the motors!

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

I only run old speedos and motors and havent had any problems at all.I allways run fairly low gears though so the motor can rev and it gives better run times with less heat.I use the 'when it slows stop' method and it is allways around the 6.8 volt mark which is fine.The soft case is fine so long as you secure the battery properly and its not flopping round.I give em the thumbs up for the best value bashing packs around.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Actually I’ve ran old stuff with no cut off a fair amount too. I use the ‘I’m old and my eyes start hurting’ method. :(

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

Common,1/10 scale arnt that small or you running on too big a track :lol: :mrgreen:

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Post by RC10WORLD »

Numbers not as good but for goofing around it is more than enough... hard case though.

ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 2S1P 25C Car Lipoly... $24.79

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8357
RC10WORLD

budhatrain
Approved Member

Post by budhatrain »

I don't know about the ebay ones but hobbyking.com has a good user turnout. I picked up 2 5200mah 2s 30C turnigy hardcase pack for $22.50. Shipping isn't bad either- depending on weight and time you can spend as low as $20- I chose for expedited Registered EMS Express to USA (MAX 1kg) and only paid $25. I was able to get two packs, some bullet connectors under 1 kg. I ordered a Turnigy 6 charger under $45 on a seperate order shipped and got it within 1 week.

they also sell polyquest packs which are roar approved but almost double the price that turnigy and zippy's (flightmax). At which point I figured buying protek's from amainhobbies would just be as good.

Here's the packs I got http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10277

Here's another pack from zippy
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9436

The reviews on any of these batteries are not bad at all. I want to use the higher C discharge because of clods and brushless slash (rumble tumbles). If you can go hardcase why not go that way... Like I said there are very few negative reviews. here's a link that will help with understanding lipo makeup and he plugs the hongkong packs. Just keep an eye out on backorders (said to be a maximum of 30days), the weight per order and understand you are probably gonna have to change plugs. Returning a pack to them will cost you more than the pack itself in return shipping but that's the gamble you have to take. I am gonna bash with these and when it comes roar time pick up a pack that will get me through the weekend.

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

hope this helps- I have done a lot of lurking on this subject and just made the dive in- converting to lipo and brushless. Just picked up dual 4600 sidewinders for my race clod and traxxas velineon for my slash. After this I want to pick something up for rc10T and HPI rs4mt.

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Post by RC10WORLD »

I am sure they do not fit the RC10 cups without cutting them. I wish they had some batteries/top connectors with better numbers for the same price. Still, I think top connectors looks better and more clean.

Anyone got better? :mrgreen:
RC10WORLD

budhatrain
Approved Member

Post by budhatrain »

you can always use velcro and no cups?!

did a real quick search again:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10098

Turnigy 5000mAh 2S 20C hardcase pack for under $20
Length-A(mm) 135
Height-B(mm) 45
Width-C(mm) 22

Will these fit? It just looks like the battery world is getting better and better making the hobby fun again!

DrumAnBass

Post by DrumAnBass »

Yah planning on using the velcro method in my basher. I will be interesting to see what kind of run times I'll get on the 4000mah lipo.

Bought a lipo bag as well, and a Thunder AC6 charger. The charger has been working great on my NIMH batteries, now we'll see how it handles Lipos.