Ryuz FF

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

BloodClod
Approved Member

Re: Ryuz FF

Post by BloodClod »

dldiaz wrote:Super Freaky! The back end, when the narrow tires are used, kinda looks like some sort of mutant swamp-buggy... I want one!

For names, I like Stinkbug (as mentioned above)... or, of course, "Halgar" :mrgreen:

BTW - We hear it handles quite well, does that include jumps?

Here's a 2nd request for some action videos!
I promise to try to get some videos the next time we're at the track. Have been wanting to do that the last couple of days but the weather here has not been cooperative. :(

As for performance... here's a post on the performance I posted on another board.

Performance Report

The car was tested and it really ran better than anyone expected. The other drivers today generally rated the track as "inconsistent" but towards the "loose" end of the spectrum.

Car on the track and off we go!

This buggy doesn't drive anything like a mid or rear motor car (expected of course...). It can be driven with the throttle on throughout the entire track - in fact, it performs best when driven that way. Going into the turn the rear end comes round nice and crisp and once the car is past the apex, throttle up again and it's off we go without a fuss.

While the other rear driven buggies had to contend with the rear ends losing traction and spinning out if the throttle was applied too quickly, this never happened with the FF. On the other hand, what the FF had to contend with was wheel spin. Punch the throttle too hard and the front wheels would spin and hunt for forward traction - but without losing it's heading or composure. This meant that on the straight and out of turns it takes a tad more time to get up to speed.

However, any time lost there is gained back by the speed it carries into the turn. With the throttle on throughout the turn and no fear of the rear end kicking loose, the car handles the technical sections of the track with ease. In fact, one "stick" only racer took my wheel radio and drove the car round amazingly well. His comment "I only need to think in the steering channel". :)

Now I was worried about the jump handling of the buggy given it's front weight bias, but it appears my fears were unfounded. The car was driven by at least 4 different drivers at today's run and within a lap or two everyone was tackling the jumps with relative ease. The suspension soaks up the landings well and with a tad more throttle the car flies level without the much feared nose-down attitude. On the downside, our track has a triple jump coming of a 180 turn that some 2WD buggies clear at a go. The FF didn't do this comfortably today not because of jumping attitudes, but more because the earlier wheelspin characteristic meant the buggy couldn't pick up enough speed to clear it. It *almost* did, but didn't actually do so. perhaps on a better day with better traction or perhaps with some setup to increase the front traction a tad this buggy will do the triples.

Everyone who drove the buggy had a big smile on their face... it was just unlike driving any rear-driven buggy and the experience was truly unique. :)

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

The thing I have always loved about your reviews is not only the depth, you also paint a picture so that it's almost like the reader is right there watching or driving with you. 8)
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Halgar wrote:The top 10 Reasons it should be called the Halgar:

10 - It is one of a kind, just like me.
9 - It handles abuse well, just like me.
8 - It was made with love, just like me.
7 - It's easy to use, just like me.
6 - It likes to play in the mud, just like me.
5 - It's photogenic, just like me.
4 - It's a little strange, just like me.
3 - It's a little annoying, just like me.
2 - It's coveted, just like me.

And the number one reason why it should be named Halgar:

It drives BloodClod nuts that it's cooler than he is, just like me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Man oh man... how long does it take you to come up with crap like that? :lol:

One more to add to your list...

"everyone would like a stab at it, just like Halgar"

Couple of reasons why this car *ISN'T* like Halgar

5 - The car is rather quiet
4 - People are genuinely interested in the car
3 - The car is neat and clean
2 - I can shut the car off

And the number one reason why this car *ISN'T* like Halgar...

1 - - The car doesn't wander off track!!!

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

BloodClod wrote:Man oh man... how long does it take you to come up with crap like that? :lol:
Now, now, don't be jealous. :wink: :mrgreen:

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

First off awsome build!

Could the traction problem be solved the same way that was talked about in the mid motered cars. The rotation of the motor, depending on the location of the motor will load or unload the suspension. If you swapped the diff and ran the motor on the other side would the torque of the motor load the suspension, helping with traction? Just a thought,

Mike

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Maybe it needs a turbo encabulator?

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

fastang wrote:First off awsome build!

Could the traction problem be solved the same way that was talked about in the mid motered cars. The rotation of the motor, depending on the location of the motor will load or unload the suspension. If you swapped the diff and ran the motor on the other side would the torque of the motor load the suspension, helping with traction? Just a thought,

Mike
Thanks.

The gearbox should be easy enough to mod so I might try that. I did think about this when I was designing the buggy and while I'm no engineer, my thoughts are that in current configuration, the motor rotation is actually giving more traction to the front end of the car... where it is needed to counter wheelspin. Mid motor cars run the idler or RHD mod to give more rear traction on RWD buggies.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

my idea for a "4" gear conversion: replace the spur by a pulley (like a losiXXX diff) and use belt drive. No modding off the gearcase , swapping moter plares etc. now only if moter pulleys were easier to find :?

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Mr. ED wrote:my idea for a "4" gear conversion: replace the spur by a pulley (like a losiXXX diff) and use belt drive. No modding off the gearcase , swapping moter plares etc. now only if moter pulleys were easier to find :?
Excellent idea - I wonder if a pulley system would work at the pinion-spur part of the transmission though as there would effectively be no gear reduction and all the torque of the motor is transmitted through the belt. Curious if there'll be any belt skip issues.

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Don't think I posted this update here yet...

Today I cut new chassis plates out of carbon fiber and while I was at it I decided to make some small changes. I changed the shape of the upper deck slightly to add strength to some areas (although I didn't really have any problems with breakage yet) and removed some area for aesthetics.

Biggest change to the bottom chassis is that I've modified it to give more front kickup. The hingepin mounting block used to be mounted on top of the lower deck but now it is sitting flush with the bottom of the upper deck. This is done via spacers which will also allow me to add or remove "kick-up" if I need it.

In case you're wondering, the hingepin blocks come from a DB-01. :)

Hingepin blocks now sit flush with chassis bottom to give more "kick up"

Pic of everything mounted up in front.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

BloodClod wrote:
Mr. ED wrote:my idea for a "4" gear conversion: replace the spur by a pulley (like a losiXXX diff) and use belt drive. No modding off the gearcase , swapping moter plares etc. now only if moter pulleys were easier to find :?
Excellent idea - I wonder if a pulley system would work at the pinion-spur part of the transmission though as there would effectively be no gear reduction and all the torque of the motor is transmitted through the belt. Curious if there'll be any belt skip issues.
Thanks. I figured there would be less torque because the belt wil turn at a higher speed than a traditional belt from the topshaft to the diff. My misconception?

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

Blame US TV for the French, I had never heard the word till I watch NCIS, just thought it sounded cool and was appropriate, that's even weirder US TV teaching people French :mrgreen:

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Re-cut the delrin parts in black instead!

Hopefully a video to post soon!

BloodClod
Approved Member

Post by BloodClod »

Everyone's asking for a video so here you go!

In the vid the buggy is being driven by different drivers having a go at it. :)

[youtube]xk2NaOM6VcU[/youtube]

In case youtube is giving errors playing here, you can view it direct on youtube here.