Remember 3 minute races?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

soniccj5
Approved Member

Remember 3 minute races?

Post by soniccj5 »

I was just thinking back to when batteries would only last 3-4 minutes. I could not turn my car on until the race was ready to go or else I would have no more juice at the end.

Times sure have changed for the better.

ED

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: Remember 3 minute races?

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yep. I remember leaving my car turned off and waving it over the start line so the transponder would register.

I remember racing my car up hill both ways in an ice storm too! Kids today have it easy. :lol:

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

MelvinsArmy wrote:waving it over the start line so the transponder would register.
People complain about marshalling today. I remember when we had to be the 'caller' at least once a night. We had colored flags on the antenna and as they went by the 'caller' would yell out the color and one of the officials (usually someone's wife or girlfriend) would tally the laps. :wink:
Transponders. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

LowClassCC
Approved Member

Post by LowClassCC »

the days of having a pit guy wait until the 10 second count down mark to unhook the home made bump box and press the body down on the velcro then toss your buggy onto the track with just a couple seconds left.

at the end of the race you cross the finish line and only made it half way back to the pick up area because your was done and your car wouldn't go any farther.

lets not forget the 2 man/woman team calling out the car numbers as we crossed the line during each lap. one called out the car number and the other hit the corisponding number on the commodore computer to count your lap. transponders? what are those? :lol:

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Remember when we had to push our cars manually ... :mrgreen:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the callers in the days before transponders. I'm getting old.

pancar
Approved Member

Post by pancar »

Yup, I remember 3 minute races, we weren't lucky enough to have a computer, just paper, pencils, and lots of extrra people! If you think it's hard enough these days finding corner marshalls, just add a bunch more people to count. Of course the cars were a little slower back then.

I also remember running a few 3 minute races when everybody else on the track was running 4 minutes...can you say DUMP!! :shock:
Years ago I started off with nothing ... and I still have most of it left.
-----------------------------------------
You know that as soon as they make something "idiotproof" they'll just invent a better idiot!

Der Kommissar
Approved Member

Post by Der Kommissar »

pancar wrote: I also remember running a few 3 minute races when everybody else on the track was running 4 minutes...can you say DUMP!! :shock:
Now this I remember all to well. :oops:
If it isn't broke, I haven't driven it yet.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Der Kommissar wrote:
pancar wrote: I also remember running a few 3 minute races when everybody else on the track was running 4 minutes...can you say DUMP!! :shock:
Now this I remember all to well. :oops:
Yup! Fo sho!

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

I built a battery bump box for my Bolink.

Doc J33P
Approved Member

Post by Doc J33P »

I remember those days and I remember having packs that would last 2 1/2 minutes sometimes, lol.

I also remember how important marshaling was and how it affected your night at the track. You did good on your corner or you didn't do it at all. We did not put up with bad marshals, EVER!

I also remember being taken out of the B-Main in stock Stadium because I was winning and the old guy behind me didn't like it. Broke the kickup on the front of the LXT and there were no parts at the track. Took me a month to save up for the parts.

I would sell my soul to do it again. :oops:
35 years of RC and still broke!

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

yea i Remember 3 minute races..even 4 minute was cool with me.. i like the shorter races.it was fun when there was a few classes and short races...with all the classes now and long races its just too much at some tracks..who wants to be at the track a whole day to race 1 class .
long races are what got me out of racing back in the day.. i won for the longest time with 1700 race packs.. i had the my rc10t set up great..then they cam out with 2000 packs so they made the races longer...id have 1st place then the last 20 seconds the 1700 bat would die off and id get passed by a lesser driver that spent more $$ on new 2000 race packs.. if they kept the race the same time i would have won... i didnt want to spend alot of $$ on 2000 race packs so i stoped racing for years.. i got back into it when 3300nimh bats were in.. i got some 3300s and was doing good... then everyone got brushless and after spending all that cash on 3300s i was not ready to spend that much on brushless system so i stoped again ...one day i may race again..i bet it will be 10minute races then :lol: :lol: