Losi Strike,quality???

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vintage racer
Approved Member

Losi Strike,quality???

Post by vintage racer »

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else on the board has run one of these trucks.My local hobby shop recently had a sale on the Strike as a roller and my Brother was looking at getting back into RC after a 7 or so year absence.I recomened the Strike as I have allways thought of Losi being a top quality product and appart from the gay looking decals all over the truck I thought they looked OK.The first thing we noticed was how loud the transmision is and on the first run a turn buckle snapped after a collision with my SC10.It was nothing major,we replaced that and then on about the 6 or 7th pack the gear box stripped the idler gear.I also noticed both dog bones are bent and the out drives are starting to wear allready.He was highly disapointed and I feel like a tool for recommening this truck to him.I told him not to worry as there is companies out there that make after market gears and after a long search came up with nothing untill the other day when we found someone on ebay with these.http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280432906378&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Im hoping these work as he has also bought a 9 turn EZrun system for it and the original gearbox blew with the standard ready motor/speedo that came with my SC10.I wish I would have told him to spend the extra on a SC10.
So does anyone else here own a Strike and how have you found them?

tulsa
Approved Member

Re: Losi Strike,quality???

Post by tulsa »

i have been beating the hell out of one for about a month now and only broke 1 turnbuckle. i'm running a novak havoc 17.5 2s lipo and the trans has held up so far. no excessive wear on anything yet.

iamogre

Post by iamogre »

The strike seems to have some issues. I do not have a strike, (yet) but before I bought my sc10 and blitz I researched the strike for awhile. There is a good bit of info on rcshortcourse if you want to get yours to where it will survive. There is a strike section with lots of info. Hope this helps.

junkman
Approved Member

Post by junkman »

I have a high roller with an ezrun 9t in it. I haven't really had any problems with it, but have noticed the outdrives are worn pretty bad, and have broken the turnbuckles, (replaced them with some off an xxxt that was laying around). I thought the strike had a steel gear trans, at least thats what I have read from high roller threads saying they use them to beef up the HR. Has yours had plastic or metal? I think the slider, strike, and high roller all share a fair amount of the same parts. They all 3 are def not up to the quality you would think of when you hear losi, but I think their whole product line is pretty much heading down the toy store crapper. Their 1/8 scale stuff wears out parts like crazy too. Just cheap plastic and metal. I lost my cool with them a while back on a mini-lst2. That was the single most aggravating pos I have ever owned. They cared nothing about trying to help the problems, or even send me the parts to fix myself, they just said to box it up and send it back and they'd take care of it. That is fine I guess, but being a hobbiest I would kind of like to take care of things myself, and fix it right ensuring it doesn't happen again, not just replace it with the same pos.

m2fit4u2
Approved Member

Post by m2fit4u2 »

My brother owns a Strike, slash and 4x4 slash. I have driven all of them. The Strike has had no durability issues thus far. On the other hand it handles poorly compared to the slash. My brother purchased it for racing in short course but it is far from being competitive. Other racers at the same track all seem to agree. So if your purchasing for bashing, may not be a bad choice. I do have to say that the Slash 4x4 with 1/8 tires handles beautiful.

vintage racer
Approved Member

Post by vintage racer »

I hear you on handling,my SC10 runs rings around it.While we were waiting for the hardened gear set we fitted another stock idler gear and it striped again.The guy in the shop said thats a common problem they have.Would have been nice for Losi to do some proper testing and fix the issues before releasing the car for sale.I wouldnt recommend this car to anyone,some seem happy but I am far from,I will never buy a new Losi product again.My Brother has asked me to sell his Strikes but I done even feel good about offering them to anyone as they will have the same problems.I think he will be happy enough with them for bashing so long as the new gear set holds up and he replaces the turn buckles with some better quality ones.

tamiya_d1_junky
Approved Member

Post by tamiya_d1_junky »

I'm with you James, I was wondering why the price of Strikes has dropped drastically the last month or so. I found them for under $200AUD plus post the other day, and I have to say, I WAS tempted. I'm DEFINATELY not anymore. Thanks for the heads up champ.

Conrad
I LOVE VINTAGE!!!

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

I have raced with Losi cars since the xx buggy and after Horizon bought out losi their quality has gone to the bin.

I bought a spare race car for parts and couldn't believe the small differance's .

I refuse to buy a Losi again after 10 yrs with them.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

m2fit4u2
Approved Member

Post by m2fit4u2 »

I agree regarding there 1/10 scale products, they haven't come out with anything new and exciting either. There Losi 8ight however is dominating the 1/8th scale class.

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

Word is the Strike is on the way out and is going to be replaced this year with something better. Horizon has seen that it isn't a very good product and are working on something better. They know it can't compete with the sc10.

Now I may be repeating what has been talked about on other boards, I don't really keep up with things as much any more. I heard this from a friend who talked with someone at Horizon. They didn't say if it would be based off the xxx-t. Can hope that is what they are doing.
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models