My Curtis Edinger Restoration-The one that ALMOST got away

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: My Curtis Edinger Restoration-The one that ALMOST got aw

Post by Ruffy »

Thank-you!
:D

Here is this morning's effort on cleaning up the parts and assembling the front end and tires to wheels. The front end parts turned out nice, clean and white, the rear axles look new here after a lite scotch-brite pad treatment as they did not have any corrosion or wear, check out how straight the dogbone slots are!
After a week of softening them daily using food grade silicone, allowing it to sit for 12 hrs then massaging in more each day, the tires have really turned the corner here and are back in shape to put back onto the wheels, which cleaned up nicely with just simple green.
Here is a wing I just acquired from an old off-road buddy of mine that I will paint to match the color style of this body, and the pair of wing mounts I will use with this build. The wing I intend to make look close to the one slotcarrod's car has, shown earlier in this thread.

Curtis' box art car wing has arrived, so his boxter will have a proper wing soon.

More pictures to follow as the restoration matures.
71010_001.JPG
71010_002.JPG

drillNink
Approved Member

Post by drillNink »

front end looks great...tires look even better...ive been lookin for that food grade silicone but can only find teflon stuff...where can i find the rite stuff

i wish i coulda bought this one lol
with age comes a cage

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

mcmaster has silicone lubricant that is food safe in an aerosol can.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

More pics as I am finishing her up, I still have to cut, paint & mount the wing, add the stickers and solder the battery pack together for the transmitter when they arrive Monday.
FinalAssy001.JPG
FinalAssy002.JPG
FinalAssy003.JPG
FinalAssy004.JPG
FinalAssy005.JPG

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: My Earliest Edinger Restoration-the one that ALMOST got

Post by Charlie don't surf »

slotcarrod wrote:Funny, my Edinger came from Florida as well! Lakeland if I remember?
I guess mine was the closest to it's birthplace being found in So Cal :P

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

It seems most all of the early edingers are being found either in Florida or California :shock: Two hot beds of early racing I imagine.

This wing is going to be tougher than I thought. Both cars have multiple shades of blue that look so nice with slotcarrod's body having 3 shades of blue,and mine having 4 shades of blue. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that I can mix up the right shades of blue with the blue paint I have left.
The shades of blue plus deciding how to paint it, so that it is as close to what Curtis might have done as possible. I have also sent Curtis an email to see if he can remember what he might have done paint-wise for a wing on this body iI have.
Does anyone know where I might find the instruction manual for this 1st ever Novak with 3 pots, or if someone knows how to set it up please chime in.
Thanks

drillNink
Approved Member

Re: My Earliest Edinger Restoration-the one that ALMOST got

Post by drillNink »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
slotcarrod wrote:Funny, my Edinger came from Florida as well! Lakeland if I remember?
I guess mine was the closest to it's birthplace being found in So Cal :P
mine is born n raised in socal to
with age comes a cage

drillNink
Approved Member

Post by drillNink »

Ruffy wrote:It seems most all of the early edingers are being found either in Florida or California :shock: Two hot beds of early racing I imagine.

This wing is going to be tougher than I thought. Both cars have multiple shades of blue that look so nice with slotcarrod's body having 3 shades of blue,and mine having 4 shades of blue. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that I can mix up the right shades of blue with the blue paint I have left.
The shades of blue plus deciding how to paint it, so that it is as close to what Curtis might have done as possible. I have also sent Curtis an email to see if he can remember what he might have done paint-wise for a wing on this body iI have.
Does anyone know where I might find the instruction manual for this 1st ever Novak with 3 pots, or if someone knows how to set it up please chime in.
Thanks
i kno this much i wish i had one lol
car looks great buddy and good luck with the wing
with age comes a cage

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

DrillNink, you have a beautiful early Edinger car.
Keep your car in a safe, dry (not humid), air conditioned room and make sure no sunlight paths will cross it on a daily basis (not even the cracks of light through window blinds) and she will stay beautiful for a long time.
You have a very nice car!
Picture of DrillNink's Edinger!
100_1780.JPG
One thing I have noticed on your car, slotcarrod's and mine is that it seems that most all the early RC10's seemed to have the antenna up infront of the battery and on the left side. Back in the day when I ran my 1st RC10 with the stock speed control, I had my antenna going out the rear right side of the chassis,next to the controller. I must have been odd. :lol:

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Then and Now with the Associated RC10
THENnNOW.jpg

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I can't believe how quickly you have turned this around.... it was only just a couple of weeks ago i'd spotted it on ebay.... now its had the full 'Ruffy' treatment & looking absolutely stunning!! :)

Looks like the food-grade silicone has done its trick - not heard of this technique before 8) Does it leave the tyres sticky at all?

Think i've said this before - the early cars look more 'technical' in my eyes with the lighter gold anodising - the more orange colour on the later cars is a bit too 'showy'.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Tonight I tried to do the body that Curtis painted justice, by adding some decals from that era on it. My Wife and I love it and this is now our favorite body, looks "old school'!
We hope you all like it too, especially Curtis. Nice paint job!

DerbyDan, no the tires do not stay sticky. They shine for a bit, then eventually it is completely absorbed or evaporates but the tires remain a deep black color and stay pliable, retarding the aging process.
Stickers001.JPG
Stickers002.JPG
Stickers003.JPG

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Very nice. That is an awesome looking buggy. It will fit your collection nicely.

Can't wait to see the pics of the cars in the display case.

Jake

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I almost forgot, that today I also put the new Sanyo NiCad battery pack together for the transmitter and she now uses the original charger and charges perfectly. As you can see in the pictures, she already has a full charge after only a few hours on the charger (cells came pre-charged), and works perfectly. The radio was also a restoration in that the battery had corroded a bit, and some of the corrosion passed into the negative wire, so I had to replace the battery cells and the wiring with Mil-Spec teflon coated silver wire for longer life. I also soldered the battery pack using the same Mil-Spec wire on all the cells.

This marks the end of this restoration of a very early edinger RC10 with a "Paint by Curtis Husting" custom body and 1st ever Novak electronic speed control, and early 3 channel Futaba Magnum radio system. I even have a pack of yellow Sanyo 1200mAh 6-cell pack that still charges just fine and will run this in the house (on the rug slowly) a few times before parking it in the glass case with the others.
This was a fun project that I just had to get done quickly. I truly enjoyed this project!
Attachments
Stickers002_002.jpg
Stickers003_001.JPG

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

That looks great now that it has the wing and stickers. It was so hard to resist bidding on that car, Ruffy, but I just couldn't bring myself to interfere with such a supportive wife. :wink: What a great addition to an already awesome collection.
Ruffy wrote:... stay pliable, retarding the aging process.
Maybe I should spray myself with that stuff. :lol: