BIGWIG

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Rizzo
Approved Member

Re: BIGWIG

Post by Rizzo »

Mark are u using the DF-02 hop up universal shaft on the front wheels only?, or on the rear as well?
regards
jak

PS My hotshot will be racing around with u soon at Boondall, make sure jason takes good care of it!
"Don't underestimate the power of a backhander. They F&^%ing hurt" SuperWog

Rizzo
Approved Member

Post by Rizzo »

Are these the ones Mark?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Universals-Tamiya-DF02-DF-02-buggies-/120581962362?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item1c133eba7a
I saw on the Stella website for the Boomerang that these are a hop up that fit, if thats the case they should fit the bigwig as well? can I still use the standard wheels?

regards
jak

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Careful with tha universal mod. You will need to pick up the re-re Boomerang front knuckles to make these work. (they come seperate from the original parts tree on their own tree in the kit) If you don't, it will bind the front suspension due to the long length of the bone axle. I had these issues with my Vonats hotshot.

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Yes they are them and are good quality from Yeah racing,

There are some issues with these as i found out. They work only with Re RE hot shot /Boomerang drive cups.

Not a big problem but it gets a little worse, You need to buy new diff cases as tamiya changed them so slightly i thought i was going insane till i reliazed that the new drive cups take a big e clip instead of the tiny c clip from the first ones. Therfore the diff case is slightly redesigned for the larger e clip.

I have a set in my Hot Shot 2 with no problems at all and plan to put a set in my Super Shot which has a Modified Top Force bell cranks so i can get the best out of it,

Im not sure what Brandon G is saying but im sure there can be a few more minor problems. As for me i haven't if used with the correct drive cups and diff case. ( plenty on e bay)

I bought a Re RE Hot shot center Alloy dog bone drive shaft which looks a lot beefer than the music wire thats in my Big Wig. It fitted straight in my Boomerang therfore the Big Wig is getting it too.

They aren't really needed on the rear but it wont hurt. CVD's on the rear tend to bind up a little under load and can affect handling a little. Not sure weather it will be noticable in vintage. I stick with standard dog bones on the rear of my cars. The front is where they benifit with smoother steering.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I rebuilt my Supershot with all re-re hotshot parts. Basically every part was a re-re with the exception of the pressed metal bits, CF parts, and shocks. I used the red hotshot front knuckles and finally got some of the universals for the front. The bones were too long and were preventing the suspension to articulate. After talking with Tamiya's customer support many times, they determined I needed the revised front knuckles out of the new Boomerang to get these to work. (that's the only place I have seen this aftermarket option is in the re-re Boomerang manual) Hope this clarifies.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have never bought the CVD's. I thought they would offer me a little more steering but indeed they did not. Save your money.

Rizzo
Approved Member

Post by Rizzo »

thanks so much for that info, most appreciatted
regards
Jak

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Mad Racer wrote:I
I use Tamiya bladers No leaks. Losi springs ( totally Tuneable)

Drilled out pistons '

Losi Gold shafts on my Terror Conqueror.

They work so well. For $10 they are awesome.
Well - they aren't really yeah racing shocks then if you change bladder, shaft, spring and drill the pistons... neither are they $10 ;)

good if you found a way to make them work - I didn't ;)

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Just finished my re build of my Big Wig.

The cv shafts from towkeybird which are Yeah Racing ones fitted straight in. No binding at all.

I did put in near gear box case with re re out drive cups as i metioned. No problems.

My Boomerang has some binding issues at full droop though. Funny as they are expensive Tamiya cvd's.

Cant wait till i run the big wig. Looks so good.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

FasterLouder
Approved Member

Post by FasterLouder »

I did a silly thing and lost the prop shaft out of my rere Bigwig and can't find another, anywhere, except eBay, for $60. :(

Do the alloy re re Hotshot prop shafts fit right in a Bigwig?
Thanks!
All The Way Alive