RACE PREP PRO RADIANT

The place for all things AYK.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rocketrandylee
Approved Member

RACE PREP PRO RADIANT

Post by rocketrandylee »

I HAVE BEEN OUT OF RC A LONG TIME BUT I WAS A RACE PREP TEAM DRIVER IN 1988-90 AND RECIEVED ONE OF THE 1ST 8 CARS THAT CAME TO THE USA. I STILL HAVE IT AND WOULD LIKE TO RESTORE IT BACK, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXTRA PARTS FOR THESE CARS? THEY DID A WRITE UP ON ME IN RC NEWS OCTOBER 1988 PAGE 64-65 I WOULD LOVE TO FIND A COPY OF THAT ALSO. MIKE DUNN WAS ALWAYS GOOD TO ME AND TOOK CARE OF EVERYTHING I NEEDED AT THE TIME. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO RESTORING THIS CAR. RANDY LEE OKLAHOMA

Bormac
Approved Member

Re: RACE PREP PRO RADIANT

Post by Bormac »

Glad to see you here Randy. There are a few of your former Race Prep drivers on this forum such as Jeff Harris and Steve Dunn.
I am a big fan of both Race Prep and the AYK buggies. I have 2 cars plus some new spares for the Radiant and Peo Radiant cars. You are welcome to shoot me a PM if youlike.
Cheers- Jason
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

rocketrandylee
Approved Member

Post by rocketrandylee »

Thanks for the reply Jason, I will look over my car a little better. I am pumped about this deal almost as much as back in the 80's and 90's. Randy

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

Welcome Randy :D in the Pro Radiant familly, thinks to post some pics of your car ... :wink: :mrgreen:

rocketrandylee
Approved Member

Post by rocketrandylee »

This is a small world, I just seen one of my team cars that I raced on here with a pic from mallos2000 that he had bought from woober goober, That is one of the 2 cars I had from Race prep, the other one I still have, There is a picture of it in the scans section with the interview with Mike Dunn. Randy Lee Oklahoma
former team driver for
Team Race Prep
Team Hyperdrive
B & R motors

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Hello Randy.
Well it realy is a small world isnt it. I am good friends with Paul Mallos (we used to race in the same club 'BORMAC' back in 80's here in Australia). Woober had your car and he was kind enough to let me borrow the saddle chassis from that car which he posted to me all the way out here. I had a CAD drawing done of it and now have files from which to make reproduction items from. After returning that chassis plate to Woober he sold the whole car to Paul. Paul has driven your old car in a few vintage meetings here in Australia. I even have some pics of it in action.

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Wow, rocking the X patterns on a vintage meet. Too cool!

rocketrandylee
Approved Member

Post by rocketrandylee »

WOW!!!! What a cool deal !! That brings back alot of good memories. Good to see it in action Jason, Thanks for the pics, I raced alot of cars back in the day before I was sponsored by Race Prep, The Pro Radiant was always my favorite car to drive. I won alot of races with those 2 cars. I am glad I still have the 1 car left. I am going to restore it back like it was, It is in pretty bad shape right now! I still have some motors and Batt. that Mike Dunn sent me for races around the midwest that I went to. Some of my best memories in life!!! Randy Lee

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Ive had lots of contact with Jeff Harris over the past year and he says much the same thing. I have a great deal of respect for the Dunn family and Race Prep. They certainly took on the 'big boys' and did well with such a cool lot of cars.
Paul is a great guy and he absolutely loves his Radiant's. Here's some more pics and Ive thrown in some of my Boost also.

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

rocketrandylee
Approved Member

Post by rocketrandylee »

Jason, Your Boost looks great, It looks like a good setup, I like the original Radiant pics as well you don't see many of those cars. I remember hearing of the B.O.R.M.A.C. club years ago. I tried alot of differant things with my Pro Radiants through those years but the basic setup was about as good as any, I spent alot of hours and r&d working on that car and really had it dialed in, Tell Paul I won the 1988 ROAR Region 4 championships in Dallas,TX. ( over 400 entries ) with that car he has against some great drivers like Scott Montgomery and Team Schumacher, Team kyosho was there also. They did a write up on me in October of 1988 in R/C news, I would love to find another copy of that. The car was fast and handled like no other and you really had to get use to it, but was extremely fast once you got the diffs sorted out. I traded that car in 92' to a friend in ST. Louis, Mo. And I lost track of it. Alot of memories come back though. Randy Lee

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Hi Randy.
Its hard to resist the Pro Radiant/Boost buggies. Paul proudly states that its gotta be chain driven or nothing. LOL! I found the Boost to drive well and with a 12x1 bolted in and 4200 lipo saddles the car is a weapon. Ive had some Yoke diveshafts modded and I run the wide alloy square hubs and 2.2" black yoke rims along with modern rubber and the car is a BEAST! Ive also been working on a 2 speed Maverick which has a similar shell to the Pro but has the original gold chassis from the rear motor Radiant.

Jeff Harris is an awesome guy. He's currently been building up a few Pro's to run against the modern guys. You should seriously drop him a line.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Pretty cool to see a Team R&R decal on a car on the other side of the world. :o

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Yeah Australia has quite a huge vintage following over here and a few of us have been trying to nurture it along for years now. Alot of the cool vintage racers are ending up on our shores now days.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I found it hard finding any parts let alone a complete car so I started to think outside the square. I knew i wanted to run 2.2" rubber so the obvious choice was to go with some black Yoke 2.2" disc rims as the yoke style was big back in the day. Its funny what you can acheive when you set your mind to it. I even began a belt conversion from Lazer ball diffs too. Im running a WASP slipper assembly meant for a Procat too.

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

rocketrandylee
Approved Member

Post by rocketrandylee »

Jason, It sounds like you guy's have some stuff sorted out. I remember running a 12x2 wind in 88 Roar races we had to worry about batteries lasting long enough so motors were really limited as to what we could run, I started with a 14x1 but ended up running 12x2 but had the best batt. Race prep had at the time, I only run them 1 time a day at races to keep them fresh, I am glad those days are gone, I ended up getting some onroad Batteries from Team Hyperdrive when I got sponsered with them around 1990, Ralph Burch was there Team Captain and Snuffy Smith owned the company and Ralphy and I became friends and I got alot of his stuff ( Batteries and motors ) and that stuff Ripped Like no other, Super fast motors and long run times with there batteries, They got Sanyo batteries in 5000 at a time and matched them very well. They were also a great team to be with, Ralphy is a great guy I seen him last year at a offroad race I went to to watch and he was there with the ray team taking care of there needs, WE had a good long visit about the old days, He is a great guy, Sorry I could tell alot of old story's but everyone has them. Randy Lee
Former Sponserd driver
Team Race Prep
Team Hyperdrive
B&R motors