Not my Thread anymore! Hijacked. Please delete ME!!!!

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

esaresky75
Approved Member

Re: W5061 Universal Swing Shaft

Post by esaresky75 »

RichieRich wrote:I have to say, never have I ever imagined that universals/CVDs for the Kyosho Rocky would generate 4 pages of posts in a thread.
Actually it started out as a CVD solution for Ultima/Optima but I inadvertently hijacked the thread. :) It's not even over yet either. I have two sets of Kyosho UM510 coming. They are 62.5mm but with an axle that is 2mm longer than the LA245. If the specs are correct, then an off the shelf 12mm hex hub will work without machining.
Burn more coal - UnderGroundMiners.com

mdp0430

Post by mdp0430 »

esaresky75 wrote:
RichieRich wrote:I have to say, never have I ever imagined that universals/CVDs for the Kyosho Rocky would generate 4 pages of posts in a thread.
Actually it started out as a CVD solution for Ultima/Optima but I inadvertently hijacked the thread. :) It's not even over yet either. I have two sets of Kyosho UM510 coming. They are 62.5mm but with an axle that is 2mm longer than the LA245. If the specs are correct, then an off the shelf 12mm hex hub will work without machining.
Please keep us posted!
Currently restoring my old Kyosho Rocky, please send me a PM if you have any parts...
WTB: W-5062

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Actually, I'm glad this thread exists and has grown. I had these same questions when I began Project CYANide. The info was pretty sparse and there was a lot of conflicting data here and on other forums. This topic is beginning to clearly specify what CVD & U-joint options will work for the Optima series, Ultima series, Rocky and other cars, and what modifications are needed to make them work, if any.

It's all good! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

Received the UM510's today, cats ass! Will post pics when the hex hubs arrive.

mdp0430

Post by mdp0430 »

How do they look? Would you say they're nearly identifical to the 5062s? Can't wait to see the pics with the hex's...

By the way, which 12mm hex's did you order? I'm assuming that you can't use the stock Rocky ones because of your previous modification and the fact that they're pin-less, right?

So grateful for this thread!
Currently restoring my old Kyosho Rocky, please send me a PM if you have any parts...

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

Damn Goldilocks syndrome! Received the UM510 and Golden Horizons hex hubs. The hubs are little thick compared to the stock Rocky ones. They will not work with the LA245, the axle doesn't protrude through the wheel to have a nut. The UM510 are longer before the pin hole but just a little longer after the hole, so there is just enough thread and too much room between the hex hub and the knuckle so 1.5 to 2mm of shim would be needed. The point? The UM510 and Golden Horizons hubs with shims would work for those that want reliability and don't have access to a lathe, but I will machine my hubs to fit so there are no shims. I just like stuff the be precise. I need two camera's, at the shop are the parts and the camera is home. This morning I forgot the camera and then I left the shop without the parts! :roll:

I will post pics over the weekend.

To admins, can you separate the parts of this thread that are Rocky related and make new thread or is that something I can do?

mdp0430

Post by mdp0430 »

esaresky75 wrote:Damn Goldilocks syndrome! Received the UM510 and Golden Horizons hex hubs. The hubs are little thick compared to the stock Rocky ones. They will not work with the LA245, the axle doesn't protrude through the wheel to have a nut. The UM510 are longer before the pin hole but just a little longer after the hole, so there is just enough thread and too much room between the hex hub and the knuckle so 1.5 to 2mm of shim would be needed. The point? The UM510 and Golden Horizons hubs with shims would work for those that want reliability and don't have access to a lathe, but I will machine my hubs to fit so there are no shims. I just like stuff the be precise. I need two camera's, at the shop are the parts and the camera is home. This morning I forgot the camera and then I left the shop without the parts! :roll:

I will post pics over the weekend.

To admins, can you separate the parts of this thread that are Rocky related and make new thread or is that something I can do?
So you're going with the the LA245's? What kind of wheels are you going to use, the stock ones? Thanks again for returning with this information!

esaresky75
Approved Member

Post by esaresky75 »

Yes, I will be using the LA245's. Wheels.... I have a set of the Turbo Rocky black plastic wheels lightly used but also have a set of Lohas 5 spoke wheels with extra spacer rings on their way so I'm not sure. Well, I am sure but waiting for something else before I make a decision. :wink:

Bo Wallen
Approved Member

Post by Bo Wallen »

Coelacanth wrote:
esaresky75 wrote:Does anyone know if the W5061 or the LA245 CVD will work in a Kyosho Rocky? If not, why? If not sure, would someone measure the diameter and length of the stub axle part?

The Rocky Dogbones are 62.5mm center to center of the pins. Option House did have them for the Rocky with part number W5062 but are hard to find even on ebay.
I can maybe answer both your and myk's questions later, I'll measure the total length of my LA245 CVDs. We already know the dogbone length is identical for Rocky/Optima (62.5mm).

Here's some info I dug up on the W5062's...man those are beautiful! Never saw those anywhere. However, it says they fit Optima, Ultima, Sideways, Lazer ZX, Turbo Optima Mid SE, Ultima Pro...so if you say they'll fit the Rocky, that's telling me that the Rocky dogbones are the same as the Optima. These W5062 just appear to be gold-colored versions of the W5061. If anyone else can confirm this, that would be great--I've never seen or owned the 5062's so I can't be certain.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/kyosho-option-house-gold-joints-74195894

Answer to myk: In a word, yes. :)

They fit Rocky not Optima i got two pair and tested......Kyosho Option House # W5062 Gold Universal Swing Shaft kit.
RedBoxRacer™

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Bo Wallen wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
esaresky75 wrote:Does anyone know if the W5061 or the LA245 CVD will work in a Kyosho Rocky? If not, why? If not sure, would someone measure the diameter and length of the stub axle part?

The Rocky Dogbones are 62.5mm center to center of the pins. Option House did have them for the Rocky with part number W5062 but are hard to find even on ebay.
I can maybe answer both your and myk's questions later, I'll measure the total length of my LA245 CVDs. We already know the dogbone length is identical for Rocky/Optima (62.5mm).

Here's some info I dug up on the W5062's...man those are beautiful! Never saw those anywhere. However, it says they fit Optima, Ultima, Sideways, Lazer ZX, Turbo Optima Mid SE, Ultima Pro...so if you say they'll fit the Rocky, that's telling me that the Rocky dogbones are the same as the Optima. These W5062 just appear to be gold-colored versions of the W5061. If anyone else can confirm this, that would be great--I've never seen or owned the 5062's so I can't be certain.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/kyosho-option-house-gold-joints-74195894

Answer to myk: In a word, yes. :)

They fit Rocky not Optima i got two pair and tested......Kyosho Option House # W5062 Gold Universal Swing Shaft kit.
Thanks for the info Bo. I assume the dogbone length is the same as for the Optima (62.5 mm), but the axles aren't long enough? I'd just like to be sure exactly *why* they don't fit. :) Also, the topic hasn't been updated by the O.P. for well over a year and a half so I don't know what his findings were...
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Bo Wallen
Approved Member

Post by Bo Wallen »

All is the same exept the axle is longer it will leave a gap in betwene housing and hex. i got a photo.......i can't uppload.....The upload is currently in progress......newer stop spinning ugh. i can email photo if you like.
Bo
RedBoxRacer™

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Bo Wallen wrote:All is the same exept the axle is longer it will leave a gap in betwene housing and hex. i got a photo.......i can't uppload.....The upload is currently in progress......newer stop spinning ugh. i can email photo if you like.
Bo
Sure, I'd appreciate a photo...I'm always looking for ways to modernize and swap parts between these old cars...a lot of the parts I used with CYANide & Barney are a mix of vintage aftermarket and modern parts for the Lazer ZX-5, Spider EP/GP-10 series, some by Duratrax, others by GPM & 3Racing.

Bo Wallen
Approved Member

Post by Bo Wallen »

I can mail photo if You send a PM with your e mail.
Bo
RedBoxRacer™

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Deleted
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

and now there is an turbo rocky out there that needs some polhems....

mvh isobarik