On-road body mount (rear) for Optima

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

On-road body mount (rear) for Optima

Post by Coelacanth »

I've been having a challenge thinking about how to install a rear body mount for my Optima. I want to mount it/them to the rear shock tower, probably the rear side of the tower, inboard of the shock mount holes. Without having to drill, does anybody have any suggestions, or did Kyosho ever make something specifically for that?

The problem I see--at least without drilling--is that each mounting tube post needs 2 points of contact; one for the mounting screw and one for a second screw or pin that prevents the mount from rotating during a crash or stress.

I was able to custom-make front body mounts that work great but I'm being frustrated by the rear mounts, at least without resorting to drilling the shock tower.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RichieRich
Approved Member

Re: On-road body mount (rear) for Optima

Post by RichieRich »

I don't recall there being an aftermarket body mount set for the Optima. The problem is that the rear shocktower is small an there really aren't any extra holes to use for mounting stuff. I wound up using a CRP shock tower and drilling holes into it to mount the Protech 1 body on my Turbo Optima. I know I've seen Optimas with truck bodies, but they were all home-brew types of things.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I may yet have to go that route, I just want to avoid drilling my nice, shiny blue aluminum shock tower, if possible. :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Could you bolt something like a bent kydex mount (with posts attached to that) to the back side of the tower using the upper shock mount screws? You'd just need to use longer shock mount screws.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

ROH73 wrote:Could you bolt something like a bent kydex mount (with posts attached to that) to the back side of the tower using the upper shock mount screws? You'd just need to use longer shock mount screws.
Good idea, I was considering something like that, but I don't want to mount anything off the existing shock mount screws. Those aluminum towers were already quite prone to bending at the outward screw-hole areas. I might consider fabricating a Kydex mounting plate to install somewhere on the rear of the shock tower, between the shock mount screw-holes, and mount body mounts to that...

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Try to search Ebay for Kyosho Optima Scale Series, F40, or Skyline body mount. The body mounts for the 2WD Ultima-based Scale Series should also work with some modification.

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

I would try some long body posts attached ontop of the side guard where it attaches to the top plate just use a longer screw threw the underside and use the post as the nut or use a nut before you screw on the long body post this way you wont need to worry about the rear shock tower and by rights if you use a plastic body post then it should not harm the top chassis plate. Hope this helps you

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

murphy3428 wrote:I would try some long body posts attached ontop of the side guard where it attaches to the top plate just use a longer screw threw the underside and use the post as the nut or use a nut before you screw on the long body post this way you wont need to worry about the rear shock tower and by rights if you use a plastic body post then it should not harm the top chassis plate. Hope this helps you
I've considered that too but haven't found any posts long enough to work...any body post suggestions?

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

possibly the posts that are used on the sling shot
Attachments
000_0003.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Thanks, I'll check that out. Those look perfect! Anybody have a pair they don't need? :mrgreen:

EDIT: I just found out Duratrax makes long body posts in various lengths, I'm sure one of these will work...need to take some measurements tonight. :) Part #'s:

DTXC2612 2"
DTXC2613 3"
DTXC2614 4"
DTXC2615 1.5"
DTXC2616 2.5"
DTXC2617 3.5"
DTXC2618 4.5"

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Coelacanth wrote:Thanks, I'll check that out. Those look perfect! Anybody have a pair they don't need? :mrgreen:

EDIT: I just found out Duratrax makes long body posts in various lengths, I'm sure one of these will work...need to take some measurements tonight. :) Part #'s:

DTXC2612 2"
DTXC2613 3"
DTXC2614 4"
DTXC2615 1.5"
DTXC2616 2.5"
DTXC2617 3.5"
DTXC2618 4.5"
I used a JG oval mount on my Mid, I could not find a front mount so i flipped a rear mount and stuck it on the front lol, The posts are from an Axial AX10

Here is a JG mount on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/JG-Mfg-Kyosho-Optima-Mid-Oval-Mount-RC-Parts-/300522166515?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f88458f3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

That's nicely done, nvxwax. The mounts look like they're made simply enough by cutting & bending a piece of Kydex. I'm actually favoring the idea to mount the posts to the upper deck, no extra stress on the shock towers that way. Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

If you look at the Optima I bought thats what whoever built it did: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18362

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Lowgear wrote:If you look at the Optima I bought thats what whoever built it did: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18362
I have those exact same body mounts that I used with my Zebra Optima and some home-made body mounts made from pieces of brass sheet. The short front tubes worked alright but the longer rear tubes were too bendy. Look familiar? :lol:

The whole thing kinda looked too Mickey Mouse. I want to do a proper job of mounting an on-road body this time around. :)

The blue alloy tubes look nice but would probably be too stiff and could cause stress damage somewhere else in a rollover crash. I'm liking the Duratrax units, they're a lot beefier than those white tubes--who made those? Parma or Bolink or something?