My Ultima pics and some RC10s from the local vintage meeting

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Mr. ED wrote:Asso-man,
Tulsa or shodog had an original rollcage awhile ago: in case you wanna start looking out for one of these bodies.
I have one...somewhere. :)

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

do you think that Butterfly body would fit an Ultima Pro chassis?

Snake Plissken
Approved Member

Post by Snake Plissken »

Asso_man! wrote: Snake, sorry I didn't see you were living in Israel, you must be the only one here... is vintage racing popular over there?

Cheers :wink:
Actually its just the three of us running the vintage cars over here. We also all run Mini Coopers (Tamiya M03) but the turnout is much better with up to 10 cars in every meeting. Here's a link to some pics I posted at tamiyaclub about two years ago, since then it got even more popular. http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=41109&id=1147
Asso_man! wrote:do you think that Butterfly body would fit an Ultima Pro chassis?
Sorry I can't answer this as I don't have a Pro chassis to test fit it. You may not have a problem lengthwise (the body can be mounted a little short from the front bulkhead and still look nice) but the chassis is wider in the front and the body may not clear it.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

great Mini's, gotta love them 8) do you still easily find parts for them?

Snake Plissken
Approved Member

Post by Snake Plissken »

There is no problem getting parts for M03 either in ebay or in online stores, after all, Tamiya still makes them.

Snake Plissken
Approved Member

Re: My Ultima pics and some RC10s from the local vintage meeting

Post by Snake Plissken »

I just finished painting a new body for my Ultima so thought I share it here. Decided to treat it with a new body as its one of my favorite runners and I really enjoy running it. Its being continually upgraded whenever I get the chance. Currently it has a Duratrax carbon chassis with alloy upper deck, ball bearing steering, ball diff, universal shafts and I just replaced the worn rear tires with new bowties. Future upgrades/wish list would be installing a Triumph gearbox like Bormac and some other members recently did (I race against stealth RC10 tubs and the Ultima is definitely the noisiest car on the track plus, I really would like to have a decent slipper!) and Pro XL suspension for better handling.
The body is a Kamtec repro for Turbo/Pro Ultima and was a real nightmare to finish -the window lines were non existent and it took me some time to get the masking right.
Attachments
P5152815s.jpg
P5152811s.jpg
P5152806s.jpg
P5152802s.jpg
P5152797s.jpg

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Looks great! How does it handle?

Snake Plissken
Approved Member

Post by Snake Plissken »

I'm not the best driver at the track but with this car I can definitely keep with the pack of RC10 tubs. Sometimes I even lead! :)
The Ultima has inherent understeer which I manage to control with suspension adjustment and driving style. Personally I prefer understeer over oversteer so I guess thats part of the reason I like driving it so much. The previous tires (also bowties) were worn which I guess helped with the handling (the local track is dusty which helped me do power slides into corners), I haven't had the chance to drive it with the new tires so I can only hope it won't have much affect on handling.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Hey Snake, great to see you hopping by again!
The new body looks pretty; for a moment I thought you had a box-art optima body on it.

you brought up an interesting subject with the triumph slipper: would love to hear how well/bad it handles from the guys running one.
The A&L slipper works very well for me but I too would prefer a triumph transmission for its stronger belt if the slipper is equally good.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I think the Triumph slipper works well. Though, I've only used a Triumph transmission on a Triumph. :) The only problem is finding slipper pads and spurs if you wear them out.

Snake Plissken
Approved Member

Post by Snake Plissken »

Mr. ED wrote:Hey Snake, great to see you hopping by again!
The new body looks pretty; for a moment I thought you had a box-art optima body on it.
Thanks ED, I've been pretty busy lately and didn't get much time working on my vintage stuff (suffice to say that it took me about 6 months to get this body painted). Getting bit by the crawler bug didn't help either! :)

Its funny that you mention the Optima as I recently finished building a runner, the only thing missing is a painted body (I wonder how long it would take to paint that one!).

mmbackpacker
Approved Member

Post by mmbackpacker »

Car looks GREAT though, e ven if the painting was a nightmare. I like the integrated wing a lot.
Snake Plissken wrote:I just finished painting a new body for my Ultima so thought I share it here. Decided to treat it with a new body as its one of my favorite runners and I really enjoy running it. Its being continually upgraded whenever I get the chance. Currently it has a Duratrax carbon chassis with alloy upper deck, ball bearing steering, ball diff, universal shafts and I just replaced the worn rear tires with new bowties. Future upgrades/wish list would be installing a Triumph gearbox like Bormac and some other members recently did (I race against stealth RC10 tubs and the Ultima is definitely the noisiest car on the track plus, I really would like to have a decent slipper!) and Pro XL suspension for better handling.
The body is a Kamtec repro for Turbo/Pro Ultima and was a real nightmare to finish -the window lines were non existent and it took me some time to get the masking right.
B chassis RC10T Sport Truck project
RC10 B2 Buggy... project in waiting
1/6th Land Rover Sport
1.9 Pacer
1.9 Jeep TJ
Hyper 10SC on 2s
RC10 B4 buggy on 2s
Savage Flux on 4s
Nexx8 1/8th running 2650 on 4s

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

Snake Plissken wrote:The body is a Kamtec repro for Turbo/Pro Ultima and was a real nightmare to finish -the window lines were non existent and it took me some time to get the masking right.
i use the parma liquid mask for windows, it brushes on easily, if you have a steady hand its pretty easy to get the lines perfect, and if you dont you can easily exacto off the excess. plus not a drop of paint should get under those masks, they stick like a mofo and are easy to pull off when done. One tip though, if you are using faskolor paints, run a sharp exacto over the lines again because with the thick paints like that, sometimes you get a paint pull when you remove the masks, unless you cut a line first. rarely happens but u want to be safe.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Hey Snake, any chance you have photos of the car without the body?
I always wander hoe the Duratrax carbon chassis for Ultima looks like.

The car looks good. :D

Snake Plissken
Approved Member

Post by Snake Plissken »

have a look at this thread: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2660.
I've made some changes to the car since, but there are some good pics of chassis.