Value of our cars

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

wiremonkey73
Approved Member

Value of our cars

Post by wiremonkey73 »

How many people here care more about havin fun with your RCs than how much they are worth. Ive only chilled on bashing my RC10 because parts dont grow on trees for it like the old days. Id rather hear mine makin angry noise that electric whine and the diff noise than stare at it on a shelf. I cant build something I dont use but hey thats just me
If you drive a prius you arent saving the enviroment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Value of our cars

Post by Lowgear »

It shouldn't matter one way or another. This hobby is a lot of things to a lot of different people. The personal gratification you get from it is all that really matters. :)

Me personally I'm a collector. I enjoy buying, building, restoring, and displaying them. It just dawned on me that I don't even own any current electronics. :shock: :lol: Though I would like to have at least one vehicle thats drivable whether it be modern or vintage.

Jedi Master
Approved Member

Post by Jedi Master »

I have some that I get more joy from how they look on a shelf, than I would if I ran them. Eg; Kyosho Assault. I love how mine looks, but it would handle like crap!

Others do both, and some I only own to run, regardless of value.

I love the technical part, I love the racing part, I love the social part with great, like-minded people! :D

I also get a lot of satisfaction from the 'making' part too! :wink:
Do, or do not! There is no 'try'!
RC; Boats, Buggies, Trucks, Bash's, Racing and of course 'VINTAGE'!
My Ebay Feedback: http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jedimaster768&ftab=AllFeedback

YZ-10
Approved Member

Post by YZ-10 »

I do spend far more time building/restoring than I do running them, I guess as I've got older I've become more of a collector. I appreciate the fine details and always look for something special in a build.

wiremonkey73
Approved Member

Post by wiremonkey73 »

Imthat way with everything I do. The last thing I restored was a 72 chevy truck and I drove it like I stole it........ and that was alot more than restoring an RC car thats for sure...... Once you get past the first mud scratch its really easy

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I really don't give any thought or even care how much my cars are worth...and with something as custom and one-off as the CYANide car, I don't even know how one would appraise the value, anyway. :? It's about the hobby, the time invested, and actually enjoying it when it drives (or for those who prefer shelf-queens, the enjoyment one gets gazing fondly at it and showing it off).
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

fordtransman
Approved Member

Post by fordtransman »

*The faster they go, the faster they break*

*A ship in the harbor is safe, but they were not built for the harbor*

It feels strange sometimes that my 12L is almost totally NEW and has never ran... (except for the Novak stuff) So building my RC10 Blue chassis was a great twist. Its an original early cad. car, but instead of "writing a check" and getting a new chassis set, I toiled blood (really) sweat and tears to make the chassis the way that it is... My RC10 had a fun life with its first owner. Now its "out of the dark" attic and on display for the world to enjoy.

What is it worth? The sum of the parts will never reach the personal value I feel when I look at it assembled. Despite the ebay chopshops that would beg to differ.

my $.02

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

I run my Kendrick Sprint and edm but think once I build a new one, they'll go on the shelf for good. Right now my 1yr old loves cars so much, I built a shelf and display them in the boys room.

wiremonkey73
Approved Member

Post by wiremonkey73 »

Thats cool as hell man. Start em young and teach em to be self reliant. I started with RCs and moved to big toys but it was because of what I learned fixing and assembling the little guys that made me realize I can fix almost anything if I apply myself. I very very rarely have to get someone to fix somethin for me. sorry that was off the subject

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

funny that you brung this up. i was thinking about it the other day. what makes you think about it more, is where will the projects, replicas, and others go when your dead and gone? you know the wives, girlfriends, family members are itching to sell them and get some coin out of them. thank goodness for wills.

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

That's a good point about the wills. Actually I'll wrench at kitchen table as its still chilly in the basement. The 4yr old and 1yr old "wrench" with me. About the only reason I Hung onto the Cobra nemesis junk so they can "bash wrench". Will introduce them to Karts this year and hope the oldest boy (8) takes interest. If so, its all downhill for the wife from there!

wiremonkey73
Approved Member

Post by wiremonkey73 »

my little bro was runnin my rc10 today and broke 2 of the white 20 year old tie rod ends. The last thing I was gonna upgrade well anyways he was a little freaked cuz he knows how hard parts are to find sometimes and I had to just laugh. 20 year old plastic is gonna break and im getting the turnbuckle set from AE they make that fits the original rc10

proffesso
Approved Member

Post by proffesso »

mine dont have a value right now...of course, if somoene offered some obscene price, I would part, but ive never even thought to put a price on them thus far. for me, they are childhood memorabilia :)
I'm a retro radio control hipster - I only like the stuff no one bought!

wiremonkey73
Approved Member

Post by wiremonkey73 »

Im the guy who would buy a NIB put it together and drive the wheels off it. But im redneck like that....... Im so redneck I lost a gun in my divorce..... thats redneck LMAO

neil1983

Post by neil1983 »

All of mine get used and bashed alot apart from the Juggernaut, which can be hard to find spares and when I do find them there out of my price range, so when I do use the Juggernaut I try and take it easy and drive carefully. I don't mind bashing the TL-01's as there cheap and easy to get spares for.