what do i need to get o.s. .18 cv-rx (s) to work on old gt

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

airbats801
Approved Member

what do i need to get o.s. .18 cv-rx (s) to work on old gt

Post by airbats801 »

I can't find any info on what parts I need to get this thing to work on ny original rc10gt. The engine is a os. 18 cv-rx (s) abc. It has a short threaded shaft with a smooth section. You can find pics on tower. Any help would be appreciated.
2x rc10 A stamped, rc10t, rc18t, 3x rc10gt tamiya stuff - fox, lunchbox re-release, Custom chevy clod crawler, cc-01 pajero, 2x cc-01, kt full option, and 3 HL tanks. Looking for a rc250 and rc500

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: what do i need to get o.s. .18 cv-rx (s) to work on old

Post by aconsola »

it should bolt right in just like you would mount a .12
everything from the pullstart version of the GT kit will fit directly on. only thing to watch for is the clearance from the top of the flywheel to the carb, it is close so you may have to use a shim on the crank to push the flywheel out slightly.

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

you have whats called an "sg" style crank, this is what is used in the newer gt2. so you have 2 options.

1- use the slipper, brake disk, spur gear, engine pinion, and a pull start fly wheel, from a gt2 and a b4 t4 top shaft

you also have to mod the case-

-ream out the output hole on the trans so the slipper/brake hub can meet up to the bearing inside the trans with the help of an additional top shaft spacer "same spacer used on the inside of the gt on the top shaft"

"only one issue with this set up; the gear ratio needed to get a good gear mesh is retarded fast, 22-56...."

or

2- cobble up some traxxas parts and make them work....

MY ADVICE.. sell it and buy the right engine with the right style crank

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Greg is right, best bet is probably sell or trade the .18 is the best bet, if you are gung ho on making it work I did it years ago, and it requires a TMAXX clutch bell, flywheel, clutch, and cone, then you have to use the pullstart GT mount and it will need to be shimmed up a little bit. Even at that, I think the smallest clutch bell is still a 20T. Klein (the now defucnt company that used to make oval parts) made a nice machined aluminum mount that had two sets of holes on it so you could run the tc3 clutch/sg crank on a gt, but those are like hens teeth.

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

Thanks for re replies. Is there a. 18cvrx I can use?. Ill take this engine back. Another lhs has a short stubby shaft that's all threaded but I assumethat wont work either. What exact engines will work?
2x rc10 A stamped, rc10t, rc18t, 3x rc10gt tamiya stuff - fox, lunchbox re-release, Custom chevy clod crawler, cc-01 pajero, 2x cc-01, kt full option, and 3 HL tanks. Looking for a rc250 and rc500

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

he's got the right engine. you need the (s) for the GT. buying the version with the full threaded shaft just means you have to cut the threads down to the length of the (s) shaft.
http://osengines.com/engines/osmg2105.html

it is not a pilot shaft, that would be an .18 cvr-x (p)
and that engine does not exist. The pilot shaft .18cv-r was only available in non-pullstart, the "X" indicates pullstart

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

i recommend posting a pic..... if the threads are out ward of the smooth section then its the right motor.

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

Here is a picture.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP8&P=0

How is the clutch bell n what not suppose to attatch to this? On my old Ae. 15 it has a very long crank snout.

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

You the man! I know I should read but trying to do anything on this cell phone f'n sucks. I appreciate the help. Iendedup buying a bump box today for my old Ae. 15. Engines. Adam these things are a blast. We ran about 3/4 of a gallon between 2. Trucks n only broke one rear arm and a upper rearbulkhead. Due to a Adamn vine catching the side. I scored my second rc10gt for 75 the day before and its the. Bump start version.

I don't know what kind of power the ae15 old version makes but it already seems more than enough. I can't imagine a .18

Oh and I must have the bump start is the best thing since sliced bread. Coming fromthe old deteriorating pull starts lol.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

I ran an rc-10gt converted on an outdoor dirt oval. I had a .18cv-r in it to compete with the other guys running expensive race .12's

one day after a bit of rain soaked the track it was super tacky and I got my lowered gt to do wheelies up the back straight with the .18.

If you don't already have one I highly advise getting a MIP clutch for the bigger engine, they are much more durable than stock.

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

thanks for the reply. I will probably mess with it afer I move. I went and bought the parts I need to convert to the 18, but I just found a gt2 roller for 50 bucks im thinking about buying... I really dont need 3 though...

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

airbats801 wrote: I really dont need 3 though...
then buy some more so you don't have just 3 8)
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

found another deal on a tube converted to blue pan. It had a nice os .18 cv in it already, so I figured what the hell, I can see what one is like before I install the other 18 I bought into the steel geared truck.

I have the ae .15s going so good right now I dont think I will pull them for the 18 even though I already bought all the parts I needed for the engine. I love these things.