good road tires?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

good road tires?

Post by Rootdown4594 »

i had some proline dirt hawgs on my gt. i haven't used it much at all in the dirt and i've completely worn down the rears. the fronts are almost good as new. i was looking to get some long wearing low profile street tires. i went ahead and purchased some duratrax street tracs. these have been around FOREVER so i figured they must be good for something. when they arived in the mail i instantly noticed how hard they are. they have absolutely no traction at all. they look great but they just simply suck.

just wondering what experiences everyone else has had with good street tries. preferably long wearing ones.

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Re: good road tires?

Post by SRTracer121 »

road hawgs and road rages. i prefer the hawgs since they are a bit more aggressive and the asphalt around here is rough but if its smooth then id jump on the rages

tim.sanderson
Approved Member

Post by tim.sanderson »

Hands down, Proline Gladiators.
Tons of traction on road and off. I bought a set to run on the tarmac with a 5.5t motor, and never even saw any tire wear. I actually had to loosen my slipper to keep from pulling wheelies on the asphalt.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I used to use Proline Strikers on my LX-T when I raced at a local asphalt parking lot. I ran them for two seasons and they still look new.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

SRTracer121 wrote:road hawgs
+1 :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Heres a similar thread that might help: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=20439

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

oh wow there was a similar recent thread. sorry.

the search funchtion here is horrible. unless im doing something wrong.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Rootdown4594 wrote:oh wow there was a similar recent thread. sorry.

the search funchtion here is horrible. unless im doing something wrong.
Certain terms just get too many hits to weed thru. The search function works well, but you have to be looking for something very specific. I don't feel too bad when I start a new thread that's been discussed before. Chances are other people are interested and don't know about another thread either.

This forum runs pretty deep and there are some really cool threads in the murky deep. I've spent hours and hours at work when it's slow looking thru here. I'm still searching for a hilarious thread I saw years ago. When I find it I'll give it a friendly bump. :wink: Looking for it gives me something to do when I'm bored. :lol: Of course right now I'm buried at work... :roll:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

The more the merrier. I just posted the link to that thread as it might of contained some useful info.

I've run the speed hawgs before and they didn't provide much traction. I ran them without inserts on a regular old parking lot so that could have been the problem.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

hpi v-treads are another option. 2 different compounds. never tried them, just throwing it out there......

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

those gladiators look interesting as the tread pattern appears to be for loose chunky dirt. but it seems others think they're great for road use and wear. then when i did want to run in the dirt i wouldn't have to swap them out.

Rootdown4594
Approved Member

Post by Rootdown4594 »

well i brought my gt to the local park and ripped up a large parking lot with it. the duratrax tires had more grip there. but not nearly as much as the dirt hawgs. the surface was newer/cleaner. the were rears bald by the end of the day. i went through only one field bottel of fuel with them. while the dirt hawgs laster through a gallon and a half of fuel... and had tons more traction...

stay away from these duratrax tires. im sure a lot of you guys alrady knew that, though.