The fall of old Tekin...

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

isobarik
Approved Member

Re: The fall of old Tekin...

Post by isobarik »

Tekin 410K best speedo ever...love them and still run them since i have no newer stuff ...Black and gold rulezzz...

But it explaines why the novak always was like having a brick in the car compared to the Tekin.

mvh Isobarik

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

I have to say I bought a G9 during the 1996 Onroad Worlds at the Ranch Pit Shop. My G9 has the high frequency according to the specs and it really had more punch than any other ESC I owned that time. I verified this with electronic testing device also you can hear the difference in frequency. But maybe there were different vesions of the G9 as some had an other number below the G9 label at the ESC as mine.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

wyldbill wrote:
[Tekin always seemed to have a better punch over the Novak stuff I ran]

most of the tekins had a lower drive frequency than the novaks. sure they were considered a high frequency esc but when it came to stock 27t oval classes the lower the drive fraquency the more punch they had. like the almighty tekin g-9 they called it supersonic but it had the lowest drive frequency coupled with tripple voltage regeneration. it wasn't the smoothest esc due to the low freq but it was just shear raw horsepower. in order to smooth out the drive freq they added a bank of high freq low esr surface mount caps on a separate board above the main board. i have 2 of them one i modified with lower resistance fet's that cost me quite a bit, added buss bars to increase current flow along the tiny circuit traces, tweaked the voltage regeneration circuit a bit, and increased the capacitance on the cap board that really helped it out alot. everyone at the track use to think my motors were illegal but there is nothing in the rules about building your own speed control, being an electronic tech has its privileges.
There was a reason that Putnam always had a horse in the lead pack at stock races, sure we had a great group but a few home made esc's were in the mix too :wink:

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

But maybe there were different vesions of the G9
a few of the early g-9's were released as a U-10 it was a prototype case that had a slightly different board but it was still a g-9. they had a small round black sticker over the U-10 so they actually never had a number unless you peeled off the sticker but it still said tripple regenerating supersonic. one of mine is a u-10 and one is a g-9.

davsrc

Post by davsrc »

I once sent in a tekin pro to be fixed and weeks later a post man showed up at my door with a Tekin speed star saying it was cod and I owed 60.00 that was very fare price so i payed it but i was pissed I wanted my tekin pro back,so I called and called finally got thru I was like wats the deal you never contacted me are nothing just sent me a lower grade esc whats the deal well to make the story shorter I recived a G9 top of the line esc at the time airmailed to me the very next day no charge, Ive still got it in my LAZER ZX-r and its still very awsome so they kept one tekin fan for life. I think I reminded them at Tekin how I spent thousands of dallars on there products and was very loyal ,now it all makes sinse about there tec department treated the situation I called weeks latter to thank them and they were closed, I raised a lot of hell and talked to alot of folks over my displeasure I always thought it was my phone call that was the last straw,After reading this post I was just lucky to get my free G9 before they closed,I won many races with tekin speedos being that im 50 years old and burnt many a one up,but in there defense most was from bad gearing and hooking them up backwards He He most people just arent honest with what happened to that speedo Davsrc

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I like the Tekin gear and still use their FX PRO esc's today.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

randy pike's tekin doesnt have anything in common with kevin orton's but they re still making top of the line stuff!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

alsoli

Post by alsoli »

Really enjoyed reading this...

It's sad to think that many of the founders that ran such company's are no longer in the business after selling up. In fact its difficult to think of RC companies from the late eighties that still exists under the founder. Team Associated - Losi, this list goes on. Many no longer exist at all, like Victor Engineering.

I am certainly a fan of the original Tekin product, racing with the 411P in the day. Currently have:
- Pro Tempfet
- 411P
- P-12

All work perfectly.

Would love to get a 410K

Thanks for the post...

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Just wondering if there might be a good resource out there for a timeline of the first through to last of all the old Tekin gear (with release dates perhaps?)
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

It is much more difficult finding informations on vintage Tekin gear than on Novak but I´m working on this. The first Tekin ESC and charger could be found at Classic RC http://classicrc.wordpress.com/

vintagercaddict
Approved Member

Post by vintagercaddict »

Thanks for sharing that story on tekin... My first esc was a tekin 310 red case purchased by my old man back when hobby shack was around!

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

Interesting story. It does not put the old Tekin into a good light! If I decide to fit a vintage ESC it will definately be a Novak!
GARBO 1/8

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Wow. Very interesting read. I actually feel bad for the guy. Imagine what he could have done if he had gotten some help for his troubled mind. I have always been a Tekin fan, for no real reason other than that is what I chose to buy as my first "real" esc. IIRC, it was because I wasn't a fan of the orange case. If I had known all this back then,I might have got a Novak instead. That being said, I don't recall having many issues with Tekin products, but I have had problems with the brakes going out on Novak's.

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I know what you mean regarding the orange case! But looking back now they do look very vintage and cool.
GARBO 1/8

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

kink wrote: If I decide to fit a vintage ESC it will definately be a Novak!
I don't understand the link...
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.