Old is New JRX2 (Arms mounted)

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Seabass
Business Member

Old is New JRX2 (Arms mounted)

Post by Seabass »

Hey guys after months of searching I found a donor for a new project. I have been on the hunt for a JRX2 and found a vehicle that had some Pro SE, JRX2, JRXT, LXT parts on it. The price wasn't bad but close to the max I was willing to pay. I think I ended up with $45 to the house. Not a bad deal.

The vehicle made it to the house and I removed the electronics to get a decent assesment. Man this thing was ugly. I got rid of the truck body mounts and removed the LXT wheels. I pulled out an old set of B4 wheels and they fit perfect. No modification needed.

Here is the what I started with and what I ended up with after removing alot of the nonsense. The B4 wheels will look good on the car and will give me the option to run newer tire combos. I am really looking forward to this build since I was running Losi cars in my racing days.

I also want to upgrade to the B4 slipper parts people have mentioned here. So that will be in the works.

First thing I need to get in the tranny and see why the diff is so gritty. I know these cars didn't have the smoothest diffs and this doesn't feel too terribly bad. Hopefully everythng checks out and a fresh new build will cure the issues.

I already have some ideas for parts I am planning to machine for this build.

Enjoy the pics.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Old is New JRX2

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Holy crap, that car has parts from every Losi made! But I can't wait to see what you doctor up.with this!

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Reg, I knew before I got the thing it was coming with a slew of random parts. It is in alot better shape then expected. I tore into the tranny and found it is in really good shape. The main gear is a little trashed but can be used as a back.

I do have something in store for this car if i can get the artwork done. I suck at CAD so I have requested some help in that department. I have some CAM software here at the house, just waiting to spit out some G-Code :D :D

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

i can help with the CAD, let a brutha know :)

if you get and tire rub in the rear with those wheels, and choose to look for an alternative, new Duratrax Evader wheels still have a slight bow in, pushing the offset out enough to clear.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

No rubbing with the tires at all. Thanks for the CAD support but I was able to link up with the guy from a previous build. Got something pretty cool coming, you will see.

Anyway I ordered some Grade 5 titanium so I can get started on this car. I learned a great deal from building my Old is New RC10 so I will be applying those lessons learned into this car.

I was taking some measurements tonight man this car is absoultely filthy. Greta news though it looks like the greasy film helped keep many of the parts in great shape.

I should have a new gear set, front shocks, RPM brace for the rear, battery hold down, and hopefully a Hydra slipper shaft coming in for this car soon.

I will start tearing the car down and will post some pics of the rebuild prgress. This will be a great car when finished.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Sometimes it's best to just take it all apart and start at square one. My RC10 gave me big problems a couple of weeks ago. I got the car used from a friend and then I proceeded to make changes. Some things weren't right or were worn and not corrected and the flaws became painfully apparent at the track when it tried to disassemble itself after ever bump and jump. That car was stripped down and is going back together one piece at a time with improvements/fixes being made along the way. I'm really liking the car more and more now and can already tell it's going to be much more durable and reliable when I'm done. I'm also doing the same thing with an old Tamiya Fox restoration. Take your time. You'll be glad you did.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

is "Old is New" from another thread, like a special site build-off contest? just curious... also, if you make any custom X2 parts, please share :D

I got about a dozen different shock towers designed, along with a bunch of X2 things, even got as far as prototype plotting some of them out of thin lexan. I should get my a$$ to the machinist, just so damn busy... oh, and lacking funds doesnt help :?

cant with to see what you do with the X2 (4wd would be awesome!)

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I own a 3 axis cnc router but don't have it mounted in a cabinet right now. That's my next project for the fall. Then I'll be able to make nearly anything I want!
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

The Old is New theme is something that was developed here on this site about 2 years ago. A lot of guys were building AE cars and using a mixture of B4 parts incorporating them into the RC10. You will see a ton of threads in the RC10 section.

I will be making some custom parts for this car as well. I am starting with the titanuim front axles. No point in buying some when I can get the material to make 6 pairs for the price of one pair.

I have other ideas but I am not ready to disclose it yet. In other words, yes there are some parts coming that will be machined from a CNC Haas Mini Mill. Might be called a Mini Mill but trust me this machine is no slouch :mrgreen: .

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Mmmmmm, Haas equipment.......

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Reg I need to get a picture of the shop I have complete rights to. You will completely freak. The only problem I have is the shop is 6 hours from the house. Next time I go, I will snal a few pictures for you, you really have no idea :mrgreen: .

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Damn, i am truly jealous... but in a good way :)

About 8 years ago, i bought a Sherline 3 axis. Never did anything with it except truing tires, and made a few Tamiya 956 deck separator posts. Sold it before i knew what i had. I would trade my print setup and knowledge for the same in the world of machining.

Food for thought... Clip-on Hyperdrive spur adapters, pleeeaase!!! haha :D

http://ultrahive.com/ultraHIVE/video/JRX2-spurAdapter-explode1a.mov

delsami
Approved Member

Post by delsami »

your rc10 inspired me to build a old is new rc10. i regularly finish 4th in stock with it! I look forward to seeing this build!
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

I'll be watching this one closely, all of your builds have been great Jake. I have wanted to do a NisO ( can I coin a new abbreviation?) Losi myself. Unlike the other cars I have pieced together, I was planning my losi out in my head to get it just the way I want it from the start. Right now all I have so far are ProSE towers, Andys front arms, and RPM rear H-arms, and a 2.19 retro gearbox...I have to find an X2 swb chassis, and bulkheads yet to get started. I want to do 2.2 five spokes, and dye them light orange too. 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i have an old is new concept in my head for a losi as well, but i already have enough junk that doesn't get finished. :lol: