RC12E or EX?

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CAT3K
Approved Member

RC12E or EX?

Post by CAT3K »

I bought this little RC12 recently. I'm pretty sure it's an RC12E, but on the body that came with it there are decals saying RC12EX.

Even with google i've not found out much about an RC12EX, can anyone enlighten me a bit? Or am i just looking at a standard RC12E.

I've stripped the electrics from it and i'm going to try and clean up the chassis a bit. Am i right in thinking the steering isn't standard? It had the steering servo mounted at the front, flat on the chassis, rather than mounted on the top plate.

Paul.

pedro
Approved Member

Re: RC12E or EX?

Post by pedro »

Hi Paul

I have a feeling the cars that sold in japan might have had letters after the name implying that there were different models with options like the countersunk chassis on that one and the grp upper deck? I know the offroad cars sold in japan with options and they all had letters after the name.

Peter

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Let's see a pic of the decal "12EX"
Car's weight saver chassis has been modified (drilled), radio tray may be home made?

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

RC10resto wrote:Let's see a pic of the decal "12EX"
Car's weight saver chassis has been modified, radio tray may be home made?
Here's a pic of the decal :

Hi Paul

I have a feeling the cars that sold in japan might have had letters after the name implying that there were different models with options like the countersunk chassis on that one and the grp upper deck? I know the offroad cars sold in japan with options and they all had letters after the name.
Funny you should mention that. When i searched for "associtated rc12ex" most of the pages that came up were in japanese, so it was kind of hard for me to get any info from them :)

Peter

Paul.

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

A rc12 ex was a lightweight version that had the chassis lightened with the large front hole and the trumpet shaped hole in the center. The other features were the radio tray that was fiberglass with several holes and set up to have the resistor on the top drivers side,countersunk screws ,and hollow rear axel. :D your car looks like it was a ex, although the chassis has some extra holes and the radio tray is a homemade job.
Ryan

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

reign79 wrote:A rc12 ex was a lightweight version that had the chassis lightened with the large front hole and the trumpet shaped hole in the center. The other features were the radio tray that was fiberglass with several holes and set up to have the resistor on the top drivers side,countersunk screws ,and hollow rear axel. :D your car looks like it was a ex, although the chassis has some extra holes and the radio tray is a homemade job.

It's definately been modified a bit that's for sure.. At least the lightening holes have been done reasonably well. It also had cut down phantom front bumper fitted when i got it. I think i'll just give this one a clean up and try and find a suitable receiver to complete it.

Paul.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

Post some pics of that diff, could be an early Schumacher ball diff that came out before Associated released theirs.

That chassis plate is stock except for the drill holes around the motor. I'm not sure who made the upper deck though.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

WC1982 wrote:Post some pics of that diff, could be an early Schumacher ball diff that came out before Associated released theirs.

That chassis plate is stock except for the drill holes around the motor. I'm not sure who made the upper deck though.
Here's are a couple of pics of the diff :

Paul.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

It's been a long time since I've seen one, but that looks like a Schumacher diff. That's some R/C history right there. The first ball diff.

The wheels are 2-piece? The tires were mounted on a sleeve that slipped over the wheel.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Yes that´s an early Schumacher diff but maybe revision 2 or 3. I think there were some development stages even before they started using fibreglass and later graphite rear axle.
I still have the first steel axle from my Schumacher diff but it doesn´t have the hexagon machined also not the flat spot for the left hub set screw so I think it´s the first revision.
Attachments
Schumacher early diff axle.jpg

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

WC1982 wrote: The wheels are 2-piece? The tires were mounted on a sleeve that slipped over the wheel.
Yes the Schumacher diff didn´t use hub and wheels like the Associated diff and others but the Schumacher wheels actually were hubs and the tires mounted on sleeves were pushed over these wheelhubs.
This had two advantages over other diffs, first one you didn´t have to readjust your diff after changing the tires and you also could change tires in just a few seconds.

For fixing and centering the sleeves to the hubs there were some small wedges built into the sleeves. You can see this at the next picture.
The tires at the sleeves are supersoft tires covered with silicone what was used here for indoor racing at slippery tracks before the carpet tracks were introduced.
Attachments
Schumacher sleeves tires.jpg

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

WC1982 wrote:It's been a long time since I've seen one, but that looks like a Schumacher diff. That's some R/C history right there. The first ball diff.

The wheels are 2-piece? The tires were mounted on a sleeve that slipped over the wheel.
The first ball diff used in RC?

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Yes Cecil Schumacher from the UK invented the ball diff and that was the start of the Schumacher brand also. The Schumacher cars were later.
I think I have an old RRC magazine with the ad.

WC1982
Approved Member

Post by WC1982 »

V12 wrote:Yes that´s an early Schumacher diff but maybe revision 2 or 3. I think there were some development stages even before they started using fibreglass and later graphite rear axle.
I still have the first steel axle from my Schumacher diff but it doesn´t have the hexagon machined also not the flat spot for the left hub set screw so I think it´s the first revision.

That's the one I had, big hex and no flat spot. I thought mine was from about 1979 but the info I've seen about the Schumacher diff says it was released in 1980. Thx for the pic.

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

I think the diff i have may be a MK2 or 3 Schumacher diff. I'm sure i have the magazines with the adverts that might show the differences too. I don't think there was a long time between the design changes either so it's hard to tell.

If i find the adverts i'll post them up, i think i have the advert/reviews for the early XL and C cars too.

Paul.