Finally, the official Futaba FXT thread

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Finally, the official Futaba FXT thread

Post by GoMachV »

Yeah, I stepped out at about $190- fair price but really I was down to needing the body, decals, and a few little bits. I knew I would not be able to sell mine at a price that would make it worthwhile either

I scanned the manual. The guy that was selling a new-built not long ago copied it for me (amazing what eBayers will do for $20!) and I scanned it to a .pdf
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

gomachv wrote:Yeah, I stepped out at about $190- fair price but really I was down to needing the body, decals, and a few little bits. I knew I would not be able to sell mine at a price that would make it worthwhile either

I scanned the manual. The guy that was selling a new-built not long ago copied it for me (amazing what eBayers will do for $20!) and I scanned it to a .pdf
your awesome, I once purchased a manual off ebay once to find out I could print it for free if I just dug deep. I greatly appreciate you giving that out. I came across your thread once before and tried to find it again. Thanks for posting the link. If I get time this weekend I will start a resurrection thread for mine. I have the original body painted some what to the cover art. I messed up the bed of the truck and tried to fix it only making things worse. But lesson learned, I think I was 14ish at the time I did it. I am glad I held on to this bad boy after all these years. Thanks again for your help.

duder1982

Post by duder1982 »

Well after misplacing the manual, I finally located it and finished the truck over the last week. I actually drove this truck last night, felt kind of weird after 20 years. Well paired with a vintage Futaba remote, as a shelf queen she will set from here on out. If I could login to the forum via taptalk I would post some pics, as I tried to keep the original scheme.

Thanks for all the help, now time to focus on a racer for my son.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I had a FXT back around '95, have no memory whatever happened to it but really wish it was still around. After being out of the r/c game for 23 yrs, just got a new RC10T4.3. Now searching and hoping to come across another FXT for sale just for old time sake. Also would be really cool to have something older and vintage. One of my best friends still has his RC10 Team kit buggy he had new in '90-'91.
Regardless how slim the chances, if anyone knows of a FXT available, please shoot me a pm or something. It would be VERY greatly appreciated. I'd even be willing to offer a finders fee just to simply show gratitude.
-Jerry-

RE-Volt96

Post by RE-Volt96 »

Does anybody know where to find parts for this old goody? :?:
I already accumulated a pile from ebay :lol: but for the wheels i.e. I can't find any source.
Thanks for any feedback in advance.
Futaba FXT Truck-simple but good :mrgreen:

Delorean
Approved Member

Post by Delorean »

I should have posted in this thread previously, I picked up an FXT about 2 years ago to take vintage racing. It finally got a run at our mini-enduro race, its the bright yellow truck that pops up around 4:52. Keen eyes might also spot an FX10 getting around the track too.

When building the truck it was interesting to see how they'd adapted the Blitzer to widen the track and make it a better truck overall. The truck drove very well and recorded one of the fastest laps of the race!

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Just purchased a Futaba FXT and in really good condition, absolutely excited.
So early last week completely out of left field I was thinking about my old FXT I had as a kid about 30 yrs ago. So I thought to do a google search and by total pure luck there it was, a great condition FXT posted up for sale no more than 1 hour before my search by the original owner. I've been searching for one of these trucks for what seems like forever, probably around 7 to 8 years now. And I had pretty much given up, thinking there's no way I'm gonna find one and if one does pop up for sale it's probably going sell before I come across it anyways.
-Jerry-

therigliveson
Approved Member

Post by therigliveson »

I recently picked one up too, it's so much nicer than the FX10 I had as a kid growing up!
Attachments
20200623_184854.jpg
RC10, FX10, JRX2 PRO, Blackfoot, Bolink Eliminator...much more, probably too much. :lol:

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

therigliveson wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:35 am I recently picked one up too, it's so much nicer than the FX10 I had as a kid growing up!
That's a sweet example you have there therigliveson. Very nice.

The FXT I bought showed up at my doorstep last week hours before leaving on vacation. Got to take a quick gander at it real quick before hitting the road. It's in a little rougher shape than I expected and needs a good amount of work to bring it back to glory, but still a decent unit nonetheless. Going to carefully disassemble the truck and diff and clean it up real good. The original transmitter had swelled-up AA batteries in it from I assume the '90s (lol), I was barely able to pry the battery holder out of the transmitter very carefully without breaking it and the antenna is missing. But not a big deal as I was already expecting to replace the original Futaba transmitter and receiver with a new Futaba 3PRKA 2.4GHz FHSS radio w/R203GF receiver, which I'm thinking is a decent option for $85...? Also planning to get a new ESC, I just don't have a clue what would be some good options yet (please, opinions welcome)...? The truck still has the original brushed motor it came with, which I'll see if it still works, either way I'll likely upgrade to a new brushed motor anyways. I'd like to keep it brushed for vintage purposes and I'm not going make this thing as fast as I can. I'll be running this truck but certainly won't be beating it, definitely gonna keep it in good condition. Also need to rebuild the shocks and replace all the bushings with new bearings. So gotta find out what all the bushing sizes are.

The body was spray painted green and the original decals are in rough shape, so I'm ordering a new MCI Racing FXT decal set and will try to carefully strip the old paint off. Which brings me to ask, what is the best process to remove old paint off of these bodies? Regardless how long and tedious it is. I want to make this truck "like new" as I can.
-Jerry-

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Brake fluid or nitro fuel work well, and are minimally damaging polycarbonate paint removers. There are threads around the forum dealing with this in greater detail, but these are the best options I've used. Be warned, however, that some hazing of the lexan is often a side effect of using these products.
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

therigliveson wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:35 am I recently picked one up too, it's so much nicer than the FX10 I had as a kid growing up!
therigliveson, do you know what color your FXT is? Is it a pearl white? I was thinking about spraying the body of my FXT pearl white instead of just plain ol' white, the two options I've seen are Tamiya PS-57 pearl white and Duratrax pearl white.
-Jerry-

therigliveson
Approved Member

Post by therigliveson »

Negative, the previous owner sprayed it metallic silver. I just added the MCI decals upon arrival and touched up some of the black areas.
Attachments
20200623_184916.jpg
RC10, FX10, JRX2 PRO, Blackfoot, Bolink Eliminator...much more, probably too much. :lol:

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

For my FXT rebuild. So far I've picked up a full set of bearings, new original front tires, MCI replica decals and a 15T Dynamite 540 brushed motor (small local hobby shop had the motor in stock and let it go for $12) . As far as paint, think I'm going to go with Tamiya pearl white paint for the main body color, black for the bed, side windows and spare tire in bed. Then gun metal paint for the spare wheel in bed and competition orange the roll bar. I plan on getting a Futaba 3PV radio w/ R203GF receiver and Futaba servo (from what I understand, I think I can bind the transmitter to multiple cars..?). Haven't really looked into a new ESC yet, what would be an ideal ESC for the truck? I'll be running 2s Lipo battery and the Dynamite 15T will eventually get an upgrade in the future. But nothing overly powerful because I'd like to keep the gearbox alive of course.
-Jerry-

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

I just noticed RCScrewZ offers a stainless steel screw kit for the Tamiya Stadium Blitzer. Would anyone know if this kit would also work with the FXT? The screws seem to mostly be hex head, so that would be nice to replace the factory phillips head screws.
-Jerry-

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Probably not all the screws will work since the FXT is based off the Stadium Blitzer but not a carbon copy. It's one of those things where unless you buy all the screws individually, it's your only choice. The screws will work on the parts each model has in common, obviously. If you do decide to get the kit, it will be interesting to see how much of it will be compatible. Maybe one day I'll get around to building my NIB one.