The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Red or Blue? YR-F2 x2

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

red-or-blue.jpg
Red or Blue?

This has a little history. I pick up my first YR-F2 years back, and around the same time source some nicely discounted Fastrax Millenium alloy parts and compatible YR-4 Team Suzuki bits - okay, I bought the parts first :oops: Upon arrival, the YR-F2 turns out to have some of the worst steel screws I've ever seen. I have to chuck out about half of the screws because they were bent or broke while I was trying to remove them :( . So the car sits in parts in a box for 3-4 years. Fast forward to last year. I spot a seemingly nice YR-F2 with the proper Fastrax alloy bulkheads and bid it up high - turns out to be another bum, with a busted chassis and several parts missing :cry: . Another year passes, during which I buy a Tamiya body and interior set for my eventual-to-exist perfect YR-F2. And then I find a cheap, but incomplete and very dirty YR-F2 (yet it includes the hard to get updated motor mount), which I buy. This car sits for several months on top of the box containing the parts of the two previous YR-F2's, as I dread the horrors I will likely discover when I take apart YR-F2 #3.
Then this month I feel rather depressed after some stupid XXXX that went on at work. I look at the box, and think "Why not? It can't be worse than how I currently feel...". I take out all of the parts, clean up the dirty plastic parts with water and dish washing liquid, clean up the metal parts with a degreaser, and start building. I dig around in my spare part boxes to find additional parts. I first decide to build my perfect YR-F2: Fastrax Millenium parts coupled with the best bits of my 2.5 YR-F2's and some titanium screws and replacement ball bearings. Then I look at what I've left, and realize I can build another 99% complete car and still have spares.

Oh, and car #3 turned out to have some horrors alright: busted diff that apparently was never rebuild or cleaned with visibly flattened balls, chassis intact but battery post crooked because apparently the battery had been ejected once, bent hinge pin. It also had a different thickness topdeck compared to car #1 and #2 (aftermarket part?).

And I found car #2 had one I hadn't spotted earlier: bent shock shafts. :(

So let's have a look at these two bad boys. Red Car is first:
red1.jpg
red2.jpg
red3.jpg
red4.jpg
Updated Yokomo motor mount, alloy layshaft pulley, Fastrax Millenium stainless steel universals, Reely alloy red hexes, reconditioned ball bearings, some red alloy screws. It uses the chassis from car #3, the thankfully not totally worn out ball diff from #2 and the best carbon fiber bits I had left. No bumper. Two of the shocks have straightened shafts and the springs are Yokomo's optional ones. A single turnbuckle for the servo link.

And the Blue Car:
blue1.jpg
blue2.jpg
blue3.jpg
blue4.jpg
Fastrax Millenium alloy motormount, bulkheads, wishbone mounts, ballbearing steering set, and delrin diff halves, Team Suzuki rear uprights and c-hubs, unknow manufacturer delrin spur, alloy antenna mount, titanium widening rear axles, Yokomo universals and titanium turnbuckles, Corally titanium screws, Avid bulkhead bearings, Tech Racing YR-4 alloy hexes. I had to improvise a bit because the Fastrax Millenium steering set came with the wrong center link parts. The diff is perfectly smooth yet tight. :mrgreen:

So, Red or Blue?

The Blue one will receive a Tamiya Volvo 850 BTCC body with interior in time.
Last edited by klavy69 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: watch the language please

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Red or Blue? YR-F2 x2

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Awesome!! Love them BOTH!

paul1600
Approved Member

Post by paul1600 »

Love these cars wish i could find some Fastrax Millenium parts for my cars, have some parts & tean suzuki, love your blue diff mount. :mrgreen:

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Lovin the blue one. I passed up one awhile back and after seeing yours I now regret it. Someday another one will come by again and after seeing yours sitting here I'll take it for sure. Hope it comes out as nice as yours are. Keep up the updates please 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

love these cars, the shop i worked at in 2002 had a ton on the shelf, bought one for 50 bux. (new in boxes) but regretfully sold it, made it a drag civic. iim going to see if he still has some still. fun little car.