RC10 Wheel bearing 'kits'?

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC104ever
Approved Member

RC10 Wheel bearing 'kits'?

Post by RC104ever »

Just wondering if there is anywhere to buy a full 'kit' of wheel bearings for the RC10? Also, I know that metal shielded bearings are not the best, but then what is the best? Rubber? Ceramic? Can you buy bearings in different ABEC ratings?

Looking to soend some $$$ on bearings for my runner and I want something good.

Also, what about bearings for the stealth tranny?

If there aren't kits available, can someone list the sizes needed for a whole set including tranny?

Thanks!
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

rctenracer
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Wheel bearing 'kits'?

Post by rctenracer »

(2)- 5/32 x 5/16 unflanged
(4)- 3/16 x 3/8 unflanged
(2)- 3/8 x 5/8 unflanged
For the sleath
Flanged 5/16 x 3/16 for the A stamp rims. I think unflanged on the CE rims it has been awhile.
Metal shield bearings work just fine. But you like rubber shield just use them on the outdrives. Avid RC is the way to on bearings much cheaper that buying kits.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Thanks. Which of the above list is for what part? I only know the rear hubs are flanged and stick axles in the front use flanged bearings too
- Chris

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

If you want to spend big $ just go with ACER. Plus they always have hot chicks on their site. :wink:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Thanks - I just looked at the site and they actually list a kit for the RC10 Team Car, which I'm guessing will work? The cheap ones are $30, the expensive ceramic ones are $89.

Question though - it says to clean them you need a bearing blaster. When would you need to clean bearings?
- Chris

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Well opinions are like RC10s... everybody has one, but here's some info. :wink:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=24792
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Thanks for the info. I've been reading up on the BOCA and ACER sites about different bearing types. Can anyone confirm if these are correct / complete kits for the RC10:

Boca - http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220927126287&category=34061&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Acer - http://www.acerracing.com/ball_bearings/ASSOCIATED_RC10_TEAM_CAR_Ceramic_Bearing_Kit-623-12.html

I'm looking for a bearing that is better than most and will be little to no maintenance. I noticed Boca has an Orange Seal set which is over $200 (!) but they are manufactured to ABEC 7 specs, whereas I don't see anything about ABEC specs on the Acer site (leading me to lean a little bit towards the Boca bearings, despite the hot chicks on the Acer site, lol)
- Chris

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Anyone have any suggestions / recommendations? I'd like to hear your experiences good or bad with a particular set of bearings.
- Chris

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Chris, save yourself a bunch of hassle and cash, order from avidrc.com. Their bearings are $1 a piece and some of the best I've used. Not sure as to the ABEC rating but unless you're racing on the international stage, ceramic, ABEC7 etc is a waste of money. Part of the rating is the quality of the materials and I know that the Avid bearings are made using quality materials. The company is run by a guy that is super nerdy (in a really good way!) about that sort of thing :D

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

for what you can buy bearings for these days, it's not even worth the hassle of maintaining them. i used to milk bearings for all they were worth, back when metal sheiled bearings cost $4-5 EACH. i think back to the amount of time i've spent on my race cars over the years just on bearings alone....... it's rediculous. now, that dollar it costs for a new one, it's not even worth getting my fingers dirty. throw it out, get a new one.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I remember my Thundershot's plastic bushings being whipped and wanting bearings so bad, but they were about $55. Might as well have been a million bux when you were a kid... :roll: I agree, it's amazing how cheap they are now. I also agree that I will never pay big money for bearings. The difference would be so negligible that I'd rather spend the money on more batteries or cars for that matter. :wink:
Ken

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Thanks guys. So really I should just buy a bunch of elcheapo metal shielded bearings and be done with it then?
- Chris

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Not even elcheapo, the Avid bearings are really good. They offer a rubber seal on one side and metal on the other, great for hubs where only 1 side needs to be sealed, they spin more freely with the single metal shield, especially once they've been run a bit.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Chris,

X10 on whatever great things that have been said about Avid bearings. Even up til I was informed about them (here I believe) when I was running and a bearing would go out I went in and paid the LHS for one because I didn't have extras on hand cuz the cost was alot(for me anyway...I got the dutch in me :P ) but since then I have sleeves of spares in the box.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

rctenracer wrote:(2)- 5/32 x 5/16 unflanged
(4)- 3/16 x 3/8 unflanged
(2)- 3/8 x 5/8 unflanged
For the sleath
Flanged 5/16 x 3/16 for the A stamp rims. I think unflanged on the CE rims it has been awhile.
Metal shield bearings work just fine. But you like rubber shield just use them on the outdrives. Avid RC is the way to on bearings much cheaper that buying kits.
Thanks everyone. In this list it seems like the rear flanged bearings are missing. Are they 1/4 x 3/8"?
- Chris