shelfer poll

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jon burrows
Approved Member

shelfer poll

Post by jon burrows »

im coming to the end of my first restoration :D
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26082
although its far from perfect, i just cant bring myself to run it, so i decided it will sit on my shelf. however, i cant decide its fate... electronics (which i have for it) or a roller with no motor, servos or e/sc :? . in my opinion, it looked far better when there were no electronics in it, but i feel its just not complete without em.

i went through almost every posts in "the gallery" section and it seems like a 50/50 split of electronics / no electronics. after cleaning the drool off my keyboard, i still couldn't decide
*i just wanted to get peoples opinion on what they prefer in their shelfer, if any preference at all...and possible why

disclaimer - *a search was performed via the use of the rc10talk.com search feature prior to posting this :wink: :wink:
i think i may have come up with a sig... :lol: :lol: :lol:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: shelfer poll

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

jon burrows wrote:it looked far better when there were no electronics in it
Because wires are a drag man. If my shelfers had them I'd use them to hang myself... :roll:

That's just me though. :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

note to self...keep all wires away from thumbs

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

jon burrows wrote:note to self...keep all wires away from thumbs
Well, I've been boiling eggs for my daughter and nieces to dye tomorrow for about an hour now(I'm off :mrgreen: ), so a Novak 4 with nice long motor wires would look pretty good right about now. :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I always put servos in my shelfers because I hate floppy wheels... :wink:
If I have a motor that matches the theme of the car I put it in, other than that I dont bother. I know they will never see a radio signal again anyways
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

jon burrows
Approved Member

Post by jon burrows »

i was thinking about just a steering servo also, but what about the wire. do you just clip it?

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

jon burrows wrote:i was thinking about just a steering servo also, but what about the wire. do you just clip it?
Joking aside I like a servo for the same reason as slapshot. Curl the wire around a pencil tight and leave it for 24hrs or heat it and let it cool for a nice tight spiral. 8)
Ken

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

jon burrows wrote:im coming to the end of my first restoration :D
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26082
although its far from perfect, i just cant bring myself to run it, so i decided it will sit on my shelf. however, i cant decide its fate... electronics (which i have for it) or a roller with no motor, servos or e/sc :? . in my opinion, it looked far better when there were no electronics in it, but i feel its just not complete without em.

i went through almost every posts in "the gallery" section and it seems like a 50/50 split of electronics / no electronics. after cleaning the drool off my keyboard, i still couldn't decide
*i just wanted to get peoples opinion on what they prefer in their shelfer, if any preference at all...and possible why

disclaimer - *a search was performed via the use of the rc10talk.com search feature prior to posting this :wink: :wink:
i think i may have come up with a sig... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I put electronics in all of the replica's and "themed" cars, other than that I like them without personally-

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

I think it depends a lot on whether or not you know what would be the correct electronics. I usually do not, therefore it doesn't matter to me. If I was an expert I'm sure it would be very important to me. One thing I dislike very much though is a vintage shelfer with incorrect electronics. That to me defeats the purpose entirely. Like everything though, I think it's up to the person that will be looking at it and fondling it everyday, which is the owner. :wink:
Ken

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Herein lies your problem - "Shelfer"
You need to have "Shelfers" so you can have one of each :wink:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

my goal is to fully outfit my shelfers with electronics. but i have a hard enough time even building the friggin cars to put stuff in. :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I'll chime in. I think an RC car project doesn't do much for me...without any *RC* stuff in it. :P If it isn't capable of electronically-assisted motion, it isn't RC anymore. :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Coelacanth wrote:I'll chime in. I think an RC car project doesn't do much for me...without any *RC* stuff in it. :P If it isn't capable of electronically-assisted motion, it isn't RC anymore. :?
Does mental telepathy count? I'm asking for a friend...
Ken

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Definitely needs electronics. Otherwise your shelfer is just a roller. I think the electronics are as important as any other part of the car.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

You can use colored fuel tubeing sliced all the way down.Run The wires through it place the cut side down.Plus you got colors to match your setup/DON :lol: 8) 8)