RC300

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

BrakeTurnAccelerate

RC300

Post by BrakeTurnAccelerate »

So, I'll be the first to admit I am not an Associated type of person. This is my first vintage AE, before this I was big into BMT onroads, owning 30-40 over a short amount of years. :D

Anyhow, I recently picked up what I believe is an RC300 (it was just delivered 3 hours ago :)) and was wondering if anyone recognized the front wishbone/bulkhead, and the fuel tank? I have seen some of the tin fuel tanks on SG's and PB's but never really seen them on an AE. Here's a couple pics. I'm planning to give it a nice restoration before moving on to a new project. Came with a Veco .19 and a decent shape F1 style body. The rear wing is a hand-made aluminum piece.

(Not my pictures, haven't had a chance to take any)

RC10resto

Re: RC300

Post by RC10resto »

Nice score - Looks like an RC200

BrakeTurnAccelerate

Thanks. I should really have researched it more (ie; RCMV), cause it is definitely an RC200.

Now I need to find a upper tray and bumper. There's probably 5-6 coats of paint on them. :|

AndrewSi
Approved Member

Post by AndrewSi »

try soaking the parts in brake fluid before losing hope in the painted parts.

BrakeTurnAccelerate

AndrewSi wrote:try soaking the parts in brake fluid before losing hope in the painted parts.
Good idea. I'll soak them this weekend and see how they turn out. Unfortunately the upper deck does have some cutting and damage, and the front bumper is warped, so I don't have a ton of hope. I can always get some cut for me if I can't find anyone doing it.

Thanks!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

BrakeTurnAccelerate wrote: I can always get some cut for me if I can't find anyone doing it.
if you can't find someone local there is a wiz at making some of the part you mentioned right here in this section. When its done he makes them look factory+ and more like a piece of art than a car part. Do some searching for some builds and restos of these cars here and you'll find him...I don't want to make it too easy for you :wink:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

BrakeTurnAccelerate

Pulled it completely apart tonight. Going to give everything a nice cleaning (not restoring) and then will probably try to get her running. I'll need some bearings, a spur gear and a back plate for the Veco 19. Shouldn't be too much $ to get her rolling again. :mrgreen:

bearrocco
Approved Member

Post by bearrocco »

front end is an aluminum machined front end from an rc 100. and the fuel tank is a chicken hopper type . dont ask me why there called that???
IT'S OLD AND DIRTY LIKE ME !

s10 warrior

Post by s10 warrior »

wow , that is a nice find

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

bearrocco wrote:front end is an aluminum machined front end from an rc 100. and the fuel tank is a chicken hopper type . dont ask me why there called that???
Nope, RC100 had a double steel bar front end, the aluminium one was released with teh RC200 and might (key word here) have been available as an option already for the RC100.

bearrocco
Approved Member

Post by bearrocco »

Asso_man! wrote:
bearrocco wrote:front end is an aluminum machined front end from an rc 100. and the fuel tank is a chicken hopper type . dont ask me why there called that???
Nope, RC100 had a double steel bar front end, the aluminium one was released with teh RC200 and might (key word here) have been available as an option already for the RC100.

I agree , my rc100 has steel front end . When I bought it 1983 the lot the guy gave me had that aluminium front end with it. I thought it was an aftermarket mod.

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

i think everyone who has commented on this would agree with me on this. More pictures of it after cleaning? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

Yes the aluminum front end was a hop up part from R&A design for the rc100 and became the kit front end on the rc200 and there is holes in rc300 chassis also to mount this beam. I restored the car and will start a thread soon :wink:
Ryan

bearrocco
Approved Member

Post by bearrocco »

reign79 wrote:Yes the aluminum front end was a hop up part from R&A design for the rc100 and became the kit front end on the rc200 and there is holes in rc300 chassis also to mount this beam. I restored the car and will start a thread soon :wink:

Can't wait to see it Ryan

ken campbell

Post by ken campbell »

a bit late here, ... ( g ) ... but some more trivia ... butch and judy beaver from miami used to make those chicken hopper tanks in kit form ..if this was one of those, you really have a bit of history !!

judy by the way was a master artistessa; her custom painted car bodies were simply collector quality !!

nice to see some of the old stuff getting put back together !!

ken

oh, they were called chicken hopper because they delivered constant fuel pressure ... like a chicken water feeder ...kept a already lean carb setting from going way way too lean when the fuel was low ... usually either killed the engine ... or melted it down .. ( g ) ...