Hobbies

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

milkyd
Approved Member

Hobbies

Post by milkyd »

I am interested to know what are some other hobbies that you fellas do outside of rc if any lol. ill start...rc,motocross,fishing,paintball,getting ladies hahahahaha. im only 16 so my hobbies will probably differ alot from you older guys but i would like to know?
LOSI LOVER!

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Re: Hobbies

Post by Y'ernat Al »

They guys with the most interesting diversions may be too busy to reply milk, but if you scroll on down through this very pile of threads - "off topic/chit chat" , there are a handfull of topics that'll clue you in to a fair amount of bmx, motorcycles, cars, home brewin', machining, home improvement, baking, rock n roll, and general thrill seeking going on. Welcome.
- Brian -

My Gallery

milkyd
Approved Member

Post by milkyd »

Thanks for the help;)
LOSI LOVER!

cunawarit
Approved Member

Post by cunawarit »

Let me see:

* 1:1 cars: OK, my Camaro is off the road and I haven't tinkered with cars properly since I became a dad. But I used to tinker with my Camaro and my friend's Camaro a lot.

I'm generally into American muscle, specifically GM stuff. But that's not t say I don't like Ford, Chryslers, or AMCs.... Or for that matter Euro or Japanese cars, I may usually prefer American, but my dream realistic every day family car right now is a Alpina D3, living in the UK with rip-off fuel taxes the diesel would be useful. And there are plenty of Japanese cars I'd love to have.

* Computers: I'm a former CTO and currently writing code for my new company, I LOVE computers and the Internet. I think about computers as much as I do about cars. And when I buy a new laptop it is a serious decision :)

* Photography: I love the hobby, I find myself photographing my kids more than anything else now. But still enjoy it very much. One thing though, I am not one of those people who upgrades camera gear religiously, my it is fairly old and I still feel I learn something new about it every few months.

* The ocean: How can the ocean be a hobby? Well, I grew up in the Caribbean snorkelling around beautiful coral reefs. I just simply feel more at home by the ocean, just typing this in the Midlands (UK) makes me feel homesick... Even though I haven't lived by the ocean since I moved out of Bournemouth 5 years ago.

Longboarding: Used to skateboard as a kid, nowadays I longboard. Broke my arm a year and a half ago so I've not done much longboarding in case I fall and damage my arm... But trying to get back to full strength in the hope I can longboard again next summer :)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

As with most of us RC car guys, my most expensive hobby would be 1:1 cars. I have a 1986 Buick Grand National but most of my time & money this spring/summer is going into my 1970 Charger, I'm pretty much rebuilding/replacing everything in the engine bay. I also have gathered all the parts I need to fabricate my own cold air intake for my 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP but that's kind of on the back burner until I get the Charger running.

One of my other passions is drumming, and I got into collecting & selling/trading vintage cymbals for a while. I have some incredible Zildjians from the 70's and a few beauties from the 60's, and I'm especially fond of the old Swishes & Pangs...these have a different shape than normal cymbals, they kind of have an upturn at the lip, but not so much as a China-type would have. The sounds those vintage Swishes & Pangs make is unlike anything made today. For drums, my favorite brand by far is Sonor, I have a set of Force 3005's in Black Sparkle that are at the high end of "intermediate" drums, and lucked out on finding a 5-piece set of Sonor Delites--a $5000+ drum kit--for $1499 somewhere in the USA, I whipped out my Visa pretty fast and picked those up. I managed to find matching 8" and 16" toms to go with the 10/12/14 toms, snare & bass in rare, discontinued finish called Metallic Marine. I might just be the only person in existence who owns a full set of 8/10/12/14/16 toms, 22" bass and 14x6" snare in that finish. The drums are incredibly toneful and resonant and a pure joy to play!

I recorded a sound-test of my drums here, have a listen (I have YouTube vids too but this was recorded with a Tascam DR-1 audio recorder, which accurately reproduces the actual sound. My Olympus camera's mic is a POS for audio-recording purposes):

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9283130

I also play ice hockey twice a week, I don't know if I'd call that a hobby, but it's my favorite sport and helps to keep me in shape.
Attachments
Delites_ThroneView.JPG
Delites_FloorTomView.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

vw's, old and new
military surplus rifles, both foreign and domestic
fancy booze, absinthe, bourbon and my own corn likker

milkyd
Approved Member

Post by milkyd »

intersesting hobbies guys! thanks for the responses
LOSI LOVER!

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Coel, that is a whoopass drum kit! Almost Ginger Bakerish. 8)
I listen to tons of music daily and get out to see many live shows per year. Suppose that is sort of a hobby.
Between work, kids, and home improvement projects, not much time for many other hobbies at the moment. RC fits well because I can stay up late and fiddle with it after the days dust has settled.

vintage88
Approved Member

Post by vintage88 »

my self as a 23 year old would be ; 1:1 cars, bmx bikes, static models, building anything(and i mean anything i have made crossbows, home made motorcycles, chopper bicycles, all terrain/amphibious toys, etc...) but also hot wheels cars, spending time with old hot rodders, chillin with friends and the occasional party

Ivan Dobsky
Approved Member

Post by Ivan Dobsky »

I play guitar, badly (really really badly). I also go to see a lot of bands because my taste in music is really eclectic.

I seem to spend a lot of time fixing up the house but I wouldn't call it a hobby, more of a necessity due to my house being so old.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

hobbies yes... atvs/atcs/dirtbikes are my fav. i still have some but with noplace to ride in nj i dont get to ride anymore ..
rokon trailbrakers (my avatar) the go anywhere moto tractors . i have 2 in storage 1 is almost mint that i rode back in the day the second one is all there but needs some tlc..
sad my two favs are in storage and i dont get to do anymore..
speaking of old hobbies longboarding/skateboarding were big 4 me back in the day i went everywhere on skateboards.. injuries told me i dont need to keep pushing my luck on a skateboard so i gave it up..
now stuff i still do all the time..
biking: i have 4 very sweet bikes 1 my old diamond back responce comp.my old do everything bike i dont really ride it,i just keep it to remember the good times 2 2011 trek soho s . my single speed get around town fast bike. 3 2011 schwinn heavy duti cruiser. love this bike did a few mods to trim the fat on this bike like new seat,removed chain guard,and trimed rear fender. 4 2011 surly karate monkey . just cause i love how this bike is made.i do some very mild trails with this bike . ever sice i broke my collarbone i refuse to risk crashing on "mountainbike" trails. so its more of a do anything bike..
trains: just a little into trains i have a very tiny ho setup and i hope to get a nscale setup
toys: i like collecting old toys ive got almost all of the heman stuff from the 80s .just really like the creativity that went into the heman stuff. plus some of the evil lookin art work they had was very cool too. i also have gijoes ,hotwheels ,and a handfull of other offbeat cool old toys too.
fish:allways got some cool freshwater fish in my 12 gal acrylic tank

slim_chance
Approved Member

Post by slim_chance »

Me I'm in to mountain bikes, model cars, making chain mail, running, and classic cars like rebuilding this 76 cougar
1976-mercury-cougar-1.jpg
1976-mercury-cougar-1.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
1976-mercury-cougar-1.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
Super phenominal cosmic plans! itty bitty bank account.

Procrastinators unite!......tomorrow.
My new Fb page by bashers for bashers. Rc bashers unite! http://www.facebook.com/RcBashersUnite

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

slim_chance wrote:Me I'm in to mountain bikes, model cars, making chain mail, running, and classic cars like rebuilding this 76 cougar
Nice ride!! What's under the hood? Did those come with the Cleve?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

My hobbies have changed a lot over the years like most people i suppose. When i was younger and had no kids i went fishing a lot, mainly for Pike and Carp. I used to go for days on end... but being married and having a kid means i have very little "me" time outside of the house. Restoring/collecting RC is something i can do at home which is great, i race too, but with my daughter so that's kind of our hobby now.

I also like photography, but my main camera is away for repair at the moment :/

Here's a pic from a few years ago of a me and a pike caught in the middle of a freezing winter (I must have been mad :lol: )

Paul.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

That's not cold, I see green grass! If the water's not frozen and icicles hanging from your nose, it's not cold! :P :mrgreen: