Fridays race report and a surprise

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

farmer
Approved Member

Fridays race report and a surprise

Post by farmer »

well guys i finally got the time to go race my orange racer build last friday
well here is the nights recap
i got there pretty late so i was scrambling to get things ready. i have only ran 2 packs in this car ever and that was just practice a few months ago, one of the things i knew i needed to do was change my gearing i was running a 19/81 but it was no where in the ball park everyone i talked to was running 34/72 in stock
so i changed my gearing to a 30/72 the hobby store didnt have any larger pinions, ran one real quick practice pack just to see the power and it wasnt bad i was still getting eaten down the straight but i was making it up the the turns
so there where 19 buggys so 2 heats of buggys i was in the second heat
in my heat i was in the number 3 on the grid so after a few hot laps i knew my tires where not the rite choice i had hole shots on and it was real loamy and wet so mud was just caking up on the tires,but they where the only ones i had so i had to make them work, than everyone started asking what buggy is that and the normal comments,why u running that ,etc etc etc,
the bell toned and the race was on, of course the normal first turn pile up took 1 and 2 out which let me snake the inside and i was gone, i was leading the race by about a half a lap at the 2 min mark
when the race director started in on the fact that i was out in front with a 20 yr old + car
and no sooner did he start saying that,i was coming over a double set and it happened snap i was done
than the race director started in on, well! old parts are fragile and such i was burnt ,when i picked it up it wasnt a old part the broke but in fact it was a new b4 front axel that snapped rite where the pin goes through uggghh new parts oh well there is always the second heat
second heat
i started in the the rear on the grid bell toned and the same thing happened pile up in turn one i slipped through and was sitting in third, we where all nose to tail for about 5 laps i was was eating them up in the turns but they would pull about 6 lengths in the straight, we have a hairpen on the track that i was making up real good time on second so i decided it was time to make the pass i set him up out side in the cha cane that leads into the hair pen sure enough he went to block the outside so i dove inside and skinned the corrugated pipe and popped a ball cap! ughhhhhhhhh i asked the turn marshall to pop it back on he looked at me like what! do what to what!!! so one of the old guys ran over grabbed it and tried to pop it back on by the time it was on i was 2 laps down ugghhhhh oh well there is always the main
so here i em last on the grid in the b-main well at least they have bump ups
tone rang and guess what u guessed it pile up in turn one i was out in front within a half a lap from start (thank you first turn ) i was thinking wouldnt it be ironic all the problems i had all night to come from last place in the b-main bump up and come back and win the A-main! well my race night dreams came to a screaching halt as i heard my pinion let go :cry: so there i was sitting in the infield as the race went on

ya i didnt make it nor even finish any of my heats but i had a smile on my face and it put smiles on other peoples faces seeing the potential that this old car has, ya its has some modern parts on it but its still a rc10, so ya i did learn some things, never forget loc-tite on the pinion grub screw even in a hastey rush and modern parts break just as easily as the old ones,and as bad as a race night can get, always remember that we race these cars as a hobby we love and that the fun is in the comradery of being out there with fellow racers like you enjoying this lil cars
than as i was packing up a fellow racer that knows i race and collect vintage cars came and put a box on the table and said here you go I know you like vintage cars you can have these, i looked in the box and i had to do a double take and this is what was given to me
well i hope you enjoyed the report
farmer
Attachments
race 011.JPG
race 013.JPG
race 014.JPG
race 012.JPG
race 017.JPG
race 016.JPG
race 015.JPG
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

SFC K
Approved Member

Re: Fridays race report and a surprise

Post by SFC K »

That was a great story with one heck of a happy ending! Good for you! :wink: You will get them next time on the track, but what was in the box would have made up for it for me! :wink:
Jeff

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Really great story, I so wish I had something like that near me. Glad you had a good time, and thanks to some nice people you walked smiling no matter what.

Love it!!

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

Cool story + IS that my dream Rc the Tamiya Hilux? Sweeet.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

What a great story, I can't BELIEVE a new B4 front axle snapped up front, WTF?

Awesome giveaway too on the Tamiya, jeez....

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

Holy mackerel, I thought I was there with that play by play!

Just goes to show that even a bad time can be a good time! :mrgreen: Now, about that truck! :shock:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

Really great story. I'm sure you'll get the bugs worked out by next race and really give them something to think about....and it looks like you left there a winner, anyway!
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

That was a great story and so descriptive I could smell the clay and heard the motors on the track.

Once you work out the bugs(sounds like you have very few) you will be showing the modern cars a thing or two. Always fun when people either don't know what you have, or they are shocked you racing a 20+ year old car.

Looking forward to another race update, with a picture of the orange racer on the podium. :D

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Thanks for the report. Great story and great guy with the gifts! Tear 'em up next time!!!

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

That was a good read, I felt I was track side watching 8)

Funniest thing my daughter just asked me, while sitting with me reading your thread...............

Why is that monkey smoking???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

thx guys ya it was a interesting night to say the least, you know what the say the worst day racing is still
better than the best day working or something like that
the buggy was pretty much on rails just underpowered but that was a gearing problem
some different type of tires also have to be sought out
on a another side note i noticed post race that my dyed rims for some reason repelled the CA under race conditions, so if your going to run dyed rims make sure to scuff the inside rim bead and tire bead for a more consistent adhesion, the tire held but was releasing in a lot of spots.
than probably a lil heaver oil in the rear.
than it should be dialed!
ya its a big hoot for the people at the track like im sure a lot of the fellow racers can concur
when u bring out a old rc car
im glad everyone liked the race report ill keep them coming!

ya and the bruiser and CF wasnt that bad ither
thx farmer

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

That's a great post Farmer, thanks, I really enjoyed reading it! You must be one heck of a nice guy, the karama force with you is strong!

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

slotcarrod wrote:That's a great post Farmer, thanks, I really enjoyed reading it! You must be one heck of a nice guy, the karama force with you is strong!
thx Rod
i really do try to be a good person and help out when i can
lets just take the track for example, im out at the track 2 to 3 times a week not to race (get off work to late)
but to just enjoy the race atmosphere and also help the track owner Randy with running the race program
and announce yes announce!
also helping out people,newbs or just about anyone that needs help with there setup and such
one of the things i really enjoy is seeing someone thats struggling with there car and helping them with setup, than explaining to them what changes we are going to do and what effect that change is going to have on the handling of the car, i remember when i was a young racer and i would have a problem with my cars handling, and some one would say change this but not explain to me why to do it ,so once i had a grasp on how to make changes on my cars and understand what these changes did, any time i helped someone i explained what those changes would do and why. Kinda like that saying if u give some one a fish you feed them for a day but if you teach them to fish you feed them for a life time! i guess that could work against me to, lol oh well i welcome the competition
im the same way when it comes to someone needing a part are a tool etc etc etc
i use to be bad yell at the marshalls in the heat of battle and was really burnt when i lost
all i wanted to do was win, im not say that having a competitive attitude is bad but mine was savage
i still have a competitive attitude but im way more mellow now,not saying i wont give you the wheel if your trying to make a dirty pass, but you catch my drift
i also try to practice a step back and look from the outside-in to life
for example! the person that cut you off this morning on your way to work, that you just want to flip off and speed up and re cut back off,,, i just step back and think maybe, that person was late and his/her boss is going to fire them,or maybe they are having a emergency you never know, I just had a scenario a few weeks ago where my wife and i had to rush to the hospital for her father was having chest pains,so you never know why that person cut you off, it will also be better for your emotions not to get all worked up to be one more car back in the line for a few seconds,its not worth it
im rambling but i hope you understand
lifes short so enjoy every minute of it, and hug your kids everyday!
thx
farmer

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

And your spelling is improving tremendously!!! :lol: :wink:

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

That's it!!!!!..... I'm movin next to farmer!

Where the hell is Bakersfield??????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

[youtube]XBaVUaHlZm8[/youtube]