RC10 truck conversion

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

RC10 truck conversion

Post by GoMachV »

I was always a sucker for the old truck conversions. I had a John Gudvangen conversion when I was growing up and it was a very fun truck. I had some wheels kicking around, and they still mke the old proline tires, CRP still has the body mounts....so why not! Just need a period body and she's good to go

Oh, and white battery cups are on the way!!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: RC10 truck conversion

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

gomachv wrote:....so why not!
"So why not" he says as if it's just that easy... :roll: That's a killer example, but those body mounts have always bothered me. Could they not make them a little less obtrusive?? :? Don't get me wrong, I wish I had one and yours is pure vintage exactly as they made it, but couldn't they have made it just a bit more streamline? Nice break from the vintage norm with this post too. I personally haven't seen many of these on here. :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I like the jg conversion body mounts better, but I don't see them often. They are just a bent piece of Kydex so to make them wouldn't be that bad but since the CRP are still available, and the andys are on eBay a lot and are also obtrusive, I decided to use them. Glad to see CRP is still around. The single front post is a little cleaner setup, I'm not convinced on the double. It might go away
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Luckily those tires grab all the attention anyway. 8) As I like to tell my wife "Ya know, you could put somebody's eye out with one of those things.". :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Luckily those tires grab all the attention anyway. 8) As I like to tell my wife "Ya know, you could put somebody's eye out with one of those things.". :mrgreen:
Turkeys done lol!

Yeah I was surprised those tires were still produced. I had Blackfoot tires on mine bitd and they sucked arse
Factory Works website

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

gomachv wrote:Turkeys done lol!
"Can you get ESPN radio on these things?" Or to go true vintage "Tune in Tokyo!". :lol: Ahh, ok. Now I'll leave this thread to people who actually know what they're talking about.
Ken

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

gomachv wrote:I like the jg conversion body mounts better, but I don't see them often. They are just a bent piece of Kydex so to make them wouldn't be that bad
I know its kydex but which one is the JG :oops: ...might have a set or two sitting here that will never get used...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Not the best pic but....
Factory Works website

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Very nice truck, I love these early conversions, I have an Andy's one.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=77088&sid=18028
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

gomachv wrote:I was always a sucker for the old truck conversions. I had a John Gudvangen conversion when I was growing up and it was a very fun truck. I had some wheels kicking around, and they still mke the old proline tires, CRP still has the body mounts....so why not! Just need a period body and she's good to go

Oh, and white battery cups are on the way!!
I.have some early Proline AT 34 front tall ribs that would go perfect with the look of those rears!!

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Ribbed tires on a truck? Say it ain't so! Actually depending on the body I end up with I may get a hold of you on those. I haven't decided if it will be more "heavy metal" or more "monster" bodied yet
Factory Works website

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I'll dig them out and shoot you a pic, I got them years ago for a similar project, then scrapped the idea later on-

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

You could contact nvxwax and see if he's still got that Dahm's Super Sport 454 body for sale.

A little surprised you didn't cut your own tall front shock tower. :wink:

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I would like to find some long front towers and matching rear, something like a jg or a&l tower, that I can copy but haven't found any I like. The jammin rear on my houge build I "think" is a bit new for this project, and I don't have a matching front yet.

But there is still a part of me that likes her really stock, that's how mine was bitd
Factory Works website

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

That looks cool! Run it! :)