Project OverKill !! RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

KHShapiro

Project OverKill !! RC10

Post by KHShapiro »

my first post
In 1987 while in 7th grade i conned my father into buying me my first radio controlled car , an RC10.
This is what lead me into my love affair with cars... RC's where my gateway ..

Fast forward to 2011, after owning and building a few Pro-Touring cars , i started getting bored while waiting for varies car parts to arrive. While in Dallas Texas on a job site a co-worker talked me into to going to Mikes Hobby shop with the indoor 1/10 scale indoor track and the 1/8 scale out door. i got rehook, so i bought an sc10 4x4 and race prepped it , then i bought another sc10 4x4 and did (what at the time was told could not be done) an 1/8scale swap in it . i now how (2) sc10 4x4's , Merv,Blitz , Mini8, Domnius and now an RC10 goldpan A stamp i bought off of ebay.
When i bought this RC10 my plan was to restore it . In all of my excitement i failed to notice the two cuts in the pan on the pictures before i opted for the "buy it now" .
So when i got the RC10 and saw what i blantly failed to see before , i was a little bummed , clearly it was my fault and not the sellers.
So i figured what the hell im not going to resotre it but Build it the way i want to .so here we are .
after doing as little digging and finding a lot of confusing information i decided to just try to figure some things out for myself . This is what i came up with on the first day. im not sure if anyone else has already done with , but it cost me less and $25 to do it. ive got a pretty good idea on how to use pieces off a modern AE slipper top shaft in the orginal 6 gear case BUT like all things some ideas don't work out to well , so we shall see with this.. i do have a good feeling though... more to come
Attachments
50.5.jpg
50.5.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
50.5.jpg
50.5.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
50.3.jpg
50.3.jpg (33.86 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
50.3.jpg
50.3.jpg (33.86 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
50.2.jpg
50.2.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
50.2.jpg
50.2.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
50.1.jpg
50.1.jpg (68.4 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
50.1.jpg
50.1.jpg (68.4 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
50..jpg
50..jpg (47.52 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
50..jpg
50..jpg (47.52 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Pro-Touring/Restomod RC10

Post by scr8p »

just a heads up... that's a diff on the outside of the 6 gear trans, not a slipper.

KHShapiro

Post by KHShapiro »

scr8p wrote:just a heads up... that's a diff on the outside of the 6 gear trans, not a slipper.
That's a spur gear.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

ya, there's one of those too......

KHShapiro

Post by KHShapiro »

i prefer slippers pads instead of the ball diffs. I can either machine a slipper hubs(s) or modify an old topshaft. hope that clears things up for you.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

not really, but i'm not working on much sleep either, and now's as good a time as any to go get some. so with that, welcome to the board, carry on....... :wink:

KHShapiro

Post by KHShapiro »

scr8p wrote:not really, but i'm not working on much sleep either, and now's as good a time as any to go get some. so with that, welcome to the board, carry on....... :wink:
i'll post some pictures , to modify the shaft is going to require me going to the shop and using my drill press, lathe and a press. Tomorrow being sunday , kids come first or im sleeping on the couch for the next week. :wink:

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Welcome !

You'd need some sort of diff unless your inventing some kind of revolutionary slipperental. 2wd cars dont handle well with locked diffs. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

KHShapiro

Post by KHShapiro »

OK now I'm starting to get confused. On the outside of the trans is that not a ball style slipper? the diffs are fixed to the output shafts which ride under the idoler and the input shaft which has a ball diff type mounted on the input shaft inside the case,no?
What I don't like is what I have always referred to as the slipper clutch being ball bearings on the spur. I prefer a pad type set up. My thoughts where to basicly adapt a pad slipper to the trans by turning down part of an SC10 input shaft, trim it then pressing on the correct gear or making a slipper hub with a smaller notch to fit the original shaft dia.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

This is where the 6 gear Associated trans is a bit different than a more conventional 3 gear trans. On a 6 gear the differential is the spur gear, there was no slipper. If you hold the spur gear and turn one tire you will see it work. The gearbox is split in half with 3 gears per side which work independently of each other. If you got rid of the balls/rings and used slipper pads you would esentially be removing the diff and locking it.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

KHShapiro

Post by KHShapiro »

lil_general_lee wrote:This is where the 6 gear Associated trans is a bit different than a more conventional 3 gear trans. On a 6 gear the differential is the spur gear, there was no slipper. If you hold the spur gear and turn one tire you will see it work. The gearbox is split in half with 3 gears per side which work independently of each other. If you got rid of the balls/rings and used slipper pads you would esentially be removing the diff and locking it.

Now don't I feel stupid! Took me a minute to work it out in my head with out looking at the trans. Now i understand how what i was planning on doing would not have worked out as i had planned. Well damn, downside is I have to rethink this, upside is I won't waste me time making modifications to the top shaft.

KHShapiro

Post by KHShapiro »

In between watching cartoons and playing with the kids today I've been searching this forum. All of this information is going to save me a TON of time and save lots of money on useless parts. I did decide to look for another rc10 as well. :P

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

KHShapiro wrote:In between watching cartoons and playing with the kids today I've been searching this forum. All of this information is going to save me a TON of time and save lots of money on useless parts. I did decide to look for another rc10 as well. :P
And let the madness begin! Welcome by the way and enjoy the addiction.

KHShapiro

Post by KHShapiro »

i am now calling this project OverKill ! i finished up my steering and did some clearancing of the front a arms to get to lock to lock and reworked my rear axels for the correct hex seating. originally i was using the stock axels but i found making drilling out the hexs to be a temp fix. now i am using Gen 1 HPI Blitz axels in the stock RC10 rear hubs. i only had to press in the proper bearing to use the axels . I switched over to a VTX8 and tekin 2650 t8 on my SC10 4x4 sooooo i thought what better place to put my Mamba Monster system than in my RC10. I was thinking i was genius when i decided to modify the top shaft of the 6gear trans but soon realized what everyone was trying to tell me about the spur also bing the diff. i soon decided to attempt to use the 6 gear and just make some mods. Again i thought i was a genius when i figured out the output shafts had the same size gear as the plastic idoler gear..... then i remembered i read it on this fourm first! so i cut down some worn out drives and now i have metal idolers. i am also using a steel pinion and spur and i did ditch the ball diff. what i am using now is garolite discs . as they heat up they get "tighter" its a quasi diff but it works very well with this 2650 . i have a few more things to do and test out before i rip it back part and rebuild it with my keeper parts. i have 2 more transmission types to try out before i decide on which one, i am just wait for parts ...... as usualy :lol:
Attachments
rearhex.jpg
rearhex.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
rearhex.jpg
rearhex.jpg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
sideview.jpg
sideview.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
sideview.jpg
sideview.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
front arm.jpg
front arm.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
front arm.jpg
front arm.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
rc10.jpg
rc10.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
rc10.jpg
rc10.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
clearancearm.jpg
clearancearm.jpg (32.63 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
clearancearm.jpg
clearancearm.jpg (32.63 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
armgears.jpg
armgears.jpg (47.48 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
armgears.jpg
armgears.jpg (47.48 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

KHShapiro

Re: Project OverKill !! RC10

Post by KHShapiro »

i am using 2 2lp packs for the 4c that is required for the 2650 . i will be looking into a thinner 4c pack because i do still want to run a buggy body