brushless setup for rc10???

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

chophead69
Approved Member

brushless setup for rc10???

Post by chophead69 »

Hi i have a stealth tranny in a graphite chassis and i dontwhich kv to run.i know i want to use a 2cell lipo was thinking 2800 or 3800. I want to race if i find a vintage class or atleast have a car that can keep up with the run what you bring race. Any help would be great.thanks
My pop always said i had to many iron's in the fire

RC104ever
Approved Member

Re: brushless setup for rc10???

Post by RC104ever »

Here you go - there are lots of answers here:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=24904
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

chophead69
Approved Member

Post by chophead69 »

Ok?so would a 2800kv be to much or 3800kv or 5700kv? I am going to use a traxxas 2056stedring servo because i have one right now.with a tq traxxas rx/tx till i can get a better setup.i dont understand about the number ratings and kv

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

2800 is good, thats similar to the 17.5t racing motors we use. i wouldn't go over the 3800kv if you are new to this.
2800 will be plenty fast for ya.

chophead69
Approved Member

Post by chophead69 »

Thank you.not new to rc but the only brushless setups i know are traxxas and castles 3800 sct just wasnt sure what would be to much for my ten.some one told me the lower the number more speed the higher more torque is that true?

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

just my take on the matter, im running a velineon 3500kv in a 3S configuration.. I'm still pushing it through the 6 gear and aside from having to replace old bearings, I havent had many problems. I did blow out my idlers and melt my spur but that was probably b/c of running 2.8" wheels at one point and over tightening the slipper on the other.

I havent used castle motors yet and have heard that they put out a lot of torque compared to other engines.

torque so far has been my enemy but again, 3S battery. I can say that with this system, the rear end is much heavier than before. Right now my gearing is like 18 and 84 and it still runs around 40 mph which is plenty fast for these cars. I might try some better setups once I make my stealth trannies.

I've heard with a brushless setting, you might want to upgrade to steel gears. A robinson's racing idler for the rc10gt works in the 2.25 stealth but as far as ive seen, there is no steel differential gear available from anyone ive contacted yet. I'm not running steel idlers in my 6 gear and as long as I keep my gearing low it should last. I have put some black grease in the tranny though.

just my experience so far. hope it helps.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

If you're planning to race, check what classes they have established and buy accordingly or you'll throw away $ and not be able to pass tech. Some places are super strict to keep it fair. Keep in mind vintage is vintage and you might have to run brushed for that class.
-Kevin

chophead69
Approved Member

Post by chophead69 »

I had thought about using traxxas but i know how my rusty reaches for the sky without tryin on 3cell.so thats why i want some on 2cell but can still run fast when i need to.my anza slash with the castle is awsome but running the pro line tranny.i love it. I saw where scrap had the listing for a 5700kv is that faster or slower? I guess i am lookin for the middle? If there is one.i want to not have it where you pull trigger and its a drift car with no steer.if that makes sence

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Post by discgolfer72 »

i have a vid here running a 4000 kv in a stealth rc10
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=30514&start=15

wich is about a 8.5 t motor

and i run a brushed 9 turn reedy in a 6 gear with pretty beefy tires in the rear
so bolth trans can take the load

but id stick with 4000kv and under if running a 6 gear

and be shure everything is setup proper before each run

if you are still runnign dogbones make shure there is no chance they will pop out an d be shure the slipper is tetup good

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I haven't tried either castles in my graphite yet, but last year i did try a 13.5 LRP x11 (not sure what KV that is sorry) it went pretty good with the ole stealth and with no breakage or anything. I'd like to try a Castle set-up for it too, but I'm on the fence to which one. A 4600 maybe? The 5700 would be too much I think, I have a 5700 in my xxl chassis B3 and it's nuts :lol:
-Kevin

MattyCJ7

Post by MattyCJ7 »

It has a lot to do with what type of track/terrain you will be running on. I run my rc10 graphite with a stealth on a local indoor short course track. It has lots of jumps and turns and my 3900kv Reedy is more than enough for that track. Most times im at 1/2 throttle at best. Lower kv will give more torque which is better for getting over the jumps at a slow start. If your running a wide open track or a field/parking lot a higher kv may be better. I've found that the right tires and suspension set up often means more than the motor size.

CBR240
Approved Member

Post by CBR240 »

chophead69 wrote:Thank you.not new to rc but the only brushless setups i know are traxxas and castles 3800 sct just wasnt sure what would be to much for my ten.some one told me the lower the number more speed the higher more torque is that true?
True for the "old" "Turn" rating. Rating in turns, lower is faster and less torque. In general a 13T motor spins much faster but has less torque than a 21T motor.

From what I understand the new kV is just the opposite. It is a rating of turns per volt (RPM per voltage applied). Here lower is more torque and less spin.

KV as we use it refers to the rpm constant of a motor - it is the number of revolutions per minute that the motor will turn when 1V (one Volt) is applied with no load attached to the motor. I

Here's an web page about Turns vs kV on RcCarAction:
http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2011/08/05/brushless-motors-%E2%80%93-turns-vs-kv-rating/

Note: when Turns go DOWN, kV goes UP.

I've been running a Reedy SL-540 3900 kV setup (+SP700 ESC + 2S LiPo) for about a month and still can't comprehend how fast this thing is. With 81T spur and 18T pinion, I have plenty of top speed for where I drive, and with tight slipper and enough traction it will wheelie hard enough to flip over backwards. For my slipper test on carpet, if it's too tight and I give full Throttle, all it does is land 5 feet forward on it's roof! Is that cool or what? :D It's almost impossible to reach full throttle in my normal driving. What fun!!!! :D

chophead69
Approved Member

Post by chophead69 »

Thanks guys that helped alot not just for my rc10 but my other rc's as well.i brought a rc10b4 rtr to strip for my w.o.i.n car and i will be using the topshaft slipper set up electronics hubs wheels and 3300kv brushless setup on 2cell lipo.when you think about it the b4 rtr was the way to go cause it gave me almost everything i needed to make it more modern.so now eell off whats left and recoup something for the beer cooler. :lol: i figur if i want more power i can change out later.i feel if i put my traxxas brushless in even on 2 cell it will just reach for the sky or put it on its roof.i might go to a castle so i can program how i want it like i can with my anza slash.thanks for yhe help

Jerzi
Approved Member

Post by Jerzi »

LRP X12 17,5 with 5,5 final gear then youll be happy with the speed and accelerate.
I use LRP SXX v1 and punches in number 1.
Jerzi

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

For an affordable system, I would check out the Dynamite Fuze system.

http://dynamiterc.com/Fuze/

I think we sell them for around $150 $180 or so.

MOmo