Mid Motor Scorpion

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DennisM
Approved Member

Re: Mid Motor Scorpion

Post by DennisM »

Sorted the chassis plate, dampers, wheels and replaced the bushings with bearings.
Bearings made a night and day difference on the gearbox - it runs kind of smooth now :-)
Still have to sort the steering and eletrics in general.
Attachments
Scorpion belt drive 005.jpg
Gone fishing

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

Looking great! :mrgreen: Dennis. Yeah bearings are a major upgrade. Could you post a vid of how she runs, not actually running on ground but having the car elevated wanting to see how the wheels spin, and the noise. I was looking at the old kyosho promo vid about progress, out of interest and man that thing is well built and functions beautifully. I'd like to see how much of a diff the belts do to your setup. Finer pitched gearing inside the gearbox should help quiten the noise down. Also a bit of oil in the gearbox, a tea spoon as suggested in the manual.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Thanks Ron,

I not much of a video man, but if I ever get around to it, it´ll be the first video I shoot on purpose.
I guess that teespoon of oil is what makes the gears so hard to turn after 30 years.
First time it had a Scorpion in my hands, I thought the gearbox was worn or melted, but it was just diff oil :-)

When are we going to see Your buggys?
Gone fishing

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

ha ha ha, I hope it was not caster in the gearbox :mrgreen:
All I got with me is the kyosho turbo raider and a rhino brand buggy converted to a truck. I will start building the kyosho beetle in a months time, I will definitely take my time with it. These are the items I got from ebay for it I also got goodyear brand tires and rims. I will put a sand scorcher bodies.
Attachments
lot part.jpg

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

ron wrote:ha ha ha, I hope it was not caster in the gearbox :mrgreen:
All I got with me is the kyosho turbo raider and a rhino brand buggy converted to a truck. I will start building the kyosho beetle in a months time, I will definitely take my time with it. These are the items I got from ebay for it I also got goodyear brand tires and rims. I will put a sand scorcher bodies.
I’m a bit curious on that lexan tube you got, it seems to be vintage and not TBG. Any idée who made it?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Hcp22 wrote:
ron wrote:ha ha ha, I hope it was not caster in the gearbox :mrgreen:
I’m a bit curious on that lexan tube you got, it seems to be vintage and not TBG. Any idée who made it?
I just stumbled across a post on tamyiyaclub.com with one of those lexan tubs a couple of days ago...

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28732

I also had no idea they existed before the TBG lexan tub. The Nodis ball diff in that post was news to me too. :?

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

I would not know of the make on that body, but guess what I got those parts off Joachim! These look to be aftermarket vintage moldings. Here is another closeup
Attachments
body.jpg

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Phin wrote:I just stumbled across a post on tamyiyaclub.com with one of those lexan tubs a couple of days ago...

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28732
I found that thread 3-4 years ago and sins then I have tried to find out who made it back then.

ron wrote:I would not know of the make on that body, but guess what I got those parts off Joachim! These look to be aftermarket vintage moldings. Here is another closeup
RON, do you can get me some better pictures on just the radio box
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

Sorry Lars, but I am no where close to the physical items at the moment :mrgreen: , I am currently in the South Pacific, Fiji. I only have the saved pics from ebay to show you :mrgreen: . Give me a month, I will be back in US, so I can take a closeup of the tub, but here are the last 2 pics showing the bodies. I hope it helps for the time being :)
Attachments
body 3.jpg
body 2.jpg

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

DennisM wrote:Sorted the chassis plate, dampers, wheels and replaced the bushings with bearings.
Bearings made a night and day difference on the gearbox - it runs kind of smooth now :-)
Still have to sort the steering and eletrics in general.
Did you get any ideas for your steering Dennis?
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Yes, many thanks Lars.
I´ve just checked the link You sent me - It looks absolutely stunning.
The black chassis parts with the red dampers are spot on.
Really Cool racer.

I´ve had thoughts on widening the front axle too - so it´ll be copy/paste more or less :D
Gone fishing

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

Hi, Lars I am in US now and the top cover appears to be a standard kyosho kit item. It is made from thick 0.5mm plastic.

The radio tray has the usual decals pasted on it and its around 0.3-0.4mm thick. There is an inscription molded at the back, bottom of the tray. It reads *STAR*. Could you tell more on this if you know anything. I only knew of the hard plastic ones that came with the kit, this could be an early vintage reproduction to increase performance at the tracks cause of the light weightiness.
Attachments
radio box 3.jpg
radio box 2.jpg
radio box 1.jpg

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Thanks Ron :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

You welcome Lars :mrgreen:
And Dennis, I have begun building my kyosho beetle, gotten the chassis together with the trailing arms and all. I just wanted to see how she looked. This is my first kyosho circuit 1000 buggy ever :!: and I love its rich history. :D
progress 1.jpg
progress 2.jpg
ishipla front shocks with adjuster.jpg
I can't believe how beautifully it is all put together with so many small parts, just like a Swiss watch!
OK I got many parts from Germany and I am able to freely choose parts for my buggy, although used, they are all in very good condition.

I have some variation of parts as well and anyone is welcome to enlighten us on these part variations. I have the rear trailing arms, the normal and the heavy weight :mrgreen:. The latter variation has thickened parts and is built to take a bit of brutal handling on the tracks.
rear trailing arms comp1.jpg
rear trailing arms comp 2.jpg
Next is the CRP bumper and skid plate, new
CRP bumper and skid plate.jpg
There is an instruction sheet showing the installation of SC-57 side guards :shock:, I did not know these were made by kyosho, P.S I don't have the parts, just the instruction sheet.
instruction sheet for part SC-57 side guards.jpg

I also have these over-sized turnbuckle linkages that go on the front trailing arm setup and steering.
turnbuckles.jpg
I got some metal rod/ball ends in other auctions. They are the tamiya super champ/hilux 6X new rod ends($36) and the RARE AYK super trail ball adjusters (4X), new ($28). I was lucky to get these, I won't be using them on the kyosho but some future 1/8th scale custom project that I have been thinking of. Just wanted to share these vintage quality parts.
rod ends tamiya and AYK super trail.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

It's amazing how much the AYK Buffalo copied the Scorpion's basic chassis design...and surely other brands too.

It's looking great, so far! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3