Picked up an rc10 yesterday...!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LemonC
Approved Member

Picked up an rc10 yesterday...!

Post by LemonC »

$40!!!
$40!!!
rc10buy.jpg
Picked this stuff up for $40 yesterday! the tub has a few 'mod' holes drilled but not too bad... My first real RC was a tamiya Grasshopper, then i later got an RC10L(graphite chassis) that i ran a little bit back in the early nineties... My cousin had the rc10 buggy when we were kids, and i was very envious of its very durable build materials... My rc10L was purchased after he got his rc10 buggy, altho i never picked up a body for it. THE rc10L i owned has disappeared sometime during my early twenties >:( I still rumage thru my parents attic when i have the chance looking for it, i have the Futaba radio, servo, and esc from my rc10L but not the motor unfortunately. I will be using the my old futaba (which is almost in new condition), and esc for my rc10 rebuild. Right now im just cleaning it up and thinking of dying the white parts black maybe... Im on a tight budget, but due to the re-release of the rc10 im looking forward to running this badboy maybe even at a local track someday soon (maybe i wont stick out so much running such an old chassis)! I currently own 1 running rc18t and have an almost complete rc18t that im wanting to make into an rc18r, the truck has a mamba brushless which is way too much for it imo, has no traction with too much throttle. I am out of the loop as far as what modern conveniences exist these days in the rc scene almost. I need to get some new batteries for the rc10 but i think im going to keep it brushed and built for longer run times instead of high speed so im looking for good deals on 6 and 7 cell nicad to use with my old protech 702 charger for now until i can afford something with modern battery conveniences..

What wheels can i fit onto my rc10?

Percymon
Approved Member

Re: Picked up an rc10 yesterday...!

Post by Percymon »

$40 :shock: :shock: - oh what it is to live your side of the pond :cry:

LemonC
Approved Member

Post by LemonC »

It came also with an old futaba, and the mrc charger in the pic. Right now i am stripping the old paint from the body with some brake fluid dot3/4 synth.

***OK, now i recall an important question i wanted to ask the experts... What are the most common tool sizes i need to have on hand to work on this? allen wrench sizes and nut socket sizes

ShawnR

Post by ShawnR »

Good find for an amazing price. Very jealous

LemonC
Approved Member

Post by LemonC »

The wing that it came with is made of metal...

LemonC
Approved Member

Post by LemonC »

So far, most of the paint is stripped off. I worked on it a bit on friday at work, and today i just started stripping it a little more... 90% of the paint is off.

I started tearing it apart a little too... The included servos were FP-s48 for steering, and FP-s32H for throttle control. The s32 is much shorter and since i am using a esc i want to use it for steering bc the geometry seems like it would be better or more at a 90degree angle vs the s48's 45 degree angle, BUT these servos that i got, have male plugs which wont directly work with my other futable receiver which accepts female connectors... the esc i want to use has a female connector, i do have another futaba servo i could use, but its as tall as the original one that i got with the car... Im sure there is an adapter for this situation, right? googling after this post :)

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

There is an adapter but they are much less common nowadays than 20 years ago! You can either cut the wires and solder them to a newer plug (color codes have never changed for futaba) or get lucky and find someone with an old "g" to "j" adapter.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

LemonC
Approved Member

Post by LemonC »

***Thank you gomachv by the way!!! your knowledge of connector names really helps me out a lot!! can i give you karma or something like that? :)

yeah i found a plug and connector diy crimping set with about 6 sets for about $4 online, or i thought maybe an extension might work with fem plugs on each end...

also, the body paint stripping is annoying... did i mention the guy had painted it twice? once on the inside, and once on the outside... i wish i had a paint brush on hand to brush on the brake fluid and some rubber gloves with me...

I might just buy a hobby king battery charger that will charge everything, lipo, nicd and nimh or request one for my birthday :)
Can i use a lipo battery on a brushed motor esc as long as the voltage is within the esc recomended voltage range? the futaba MC 112B literature i found online says to use between 7.2-8.4 v and a lot of the lipo's i see being used are 7.4v... would i be safe? i need a lipo charger for my rc18t anyway. It came with a lipo and a nimh (which i charged a few times with my nicd charger - i now know this isnt recommended).

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

The connector set will do just fine, crimping them without the right tool is hard and I would recommend a very tiny tip soldering iron and a quarter of a drop of solder on the connection if you don't buy the crimper. If you crimp with the tool you don't need to solder.

You can just buy a servo lead for futaba "j" and solder and heat shrink the connection if your not comfortable with the tiny connector pins. It's not as neat but I would trust it more if your going to run it.

The s32/s132 servo is what the racers used- good high speed servo but not a ton of torque and plastic gears so not the most durable
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

LemonC
Approved Member

Post by LemonC »

Current updates:
Completely removed parts, cleaned with simple green, soaked plastics in simple green, soaked plastics in H2O2 in sunny window for 3 days, and started rebuilding. Also, got 99 of old paint off, and resprayed in with cheap flat black. I will eventually pick up a new shell but for now i just want to get it running. The current shell exterior seems heavily scuffed from the previous owners exterior paint work, ruffing the surface for paint i suppose.

Also, on friday I ordered an 1800mah 6 cell nicd from tower hobby, as well as some Team Associated diff lube, 40w shock oil (in tx), and a shock rebuild kit. I should have ordered a battery tray piece bc mine does not have either. Also, i will prob order new shock shafts bc at least one of my originals seems slightly bent. I also may need a new futaba angle battery holder, bc mine is slightly cracked and not giving my controller power...

So far:
Car with extras $40
Tower battery and lubes $27.74
Attachments
IMG_9555.JPG
goldpan rebuild.JPG

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

That's turning out really nice, good price as well!

LemonC
Approved Member

Post by LemonC »

Just ran it ! Pretty fun stuff! I ran around the parking lot behind the office where I work. Now my clean ride is dusty again :)

My rc10 has quite a bit of front wheel hop when I try to steer it, lots of understeer but im running old foamies and the fronts are probably quite a bit undersized.

I havent rebuilt the shocks yet, i will wait until i get at least 1 new shaft to replace the slightly bent one. Also I want to eventually get the longer front arms, and get the front sway bar setup going too.

Oh, i made a diy rear wing from a plastic strawberry container until i get a new shell and wing. AND I need a better soldering iron bc my radio shack 30w isnt hot enough to solder motor connections - suggestion for more affordable options would be appreciated. Id also like to hook up some bullet terminals on the motor wires for easier tuning situations. I need a gear cover, too.
Attachments
rc10 ready to go.jpg
rc10 ready to go setup.jpg

LemonC
Approved Member

Post by LemonC »

ive ran my rc10 a few times, still want to take it somewhere fun like a track. I jumped it off a quickly thrown together ramp, gashed the tub a bit. I wanting to go to a track (theres one 20min from me). Havent dont anything to it yet, and wont do much other than new wheels and tires down the road.

BUT today i ordered a new more modern chassis... The 3racing Sakura XI Sport. I wanted something not too expensive since im just getting back into this stuff and not very serious about it. I also ordered a solid dif and alum front bulkhead to start out with. Hobbyking brushless sensored 17.5 and a 45a esc and turnigy 3 channel controller.

Also i ordered a lipo charger and some batteries... and a 3d plane :)

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

If new, try sanding the soldering tip a bit. Let it heat up for approximately 10 minutes, touch the tip to your solder to prepare the tip and then try to soldering again. 30 watt should be plenty good.

BTW the rig looks great. Nice wing too 8)

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

It cleaned up very well... 8)
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL