The next generation.

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

justinspeed79
Approved Member

The next generation.

Post by justinspeed79 »

Friday afternoon my friend stopped by the shop I work at with her daughter. I had finished my work for the day, so when they got there I was running my TC5 drifter around the shop. 8) Eight year old Lauren got excited as soon as she saw my car, and immediately asked if she could drive it. I always let kids drive my cars. So I asked her if she had ever done it before, as I expected she said no. So I gave her a quick lesson, turned the throttle down to 30% and let her go. She did pretty good right off the bat. She drove for 20-30 minutes and by the end she pretty much had the hang of it. She ran into a few things, but had control for the most part, and even pulled off a couple drifts. Mind you this car is on drift tires that slide around like you are on ice. I told her she did a good job, and she proudly exclaimed "I'm a natural aren't I!". She is. She was smiling ear to ear and walked away saying "I'm telling mommy I want one of these!".

I remember when I was a little kid and saw an older kid or adult with a cool rc, I would always ask to drive it. Many said no, but it was such a treat and so exciting when someone would say yes. :D

Lauren drifting

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Re: The next generation.

Post by Johnboy72 »

I do the same as often as possible. It's nice how easily you can turn down the power on these newer radios. Also, it's funny when a 20yr old soldier I raced with used to freak when my then 3yr old boy would get his hands on the rc trucks whenever we'd work on them. He would politely say no and take back his RC truck. My little boy would then look confused with a "WTH" look. I would then hand him some tools and one of my RC cars or trucks. My father wrenched on my 1:1 race cars and RC so I was unable to truly learn setups and all that. My boys won't have that problem!

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

good for you she might grow up to be the next jammin jay or cliff lett .. if nothing else she will have a good memory

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Good for you guys to be so generous! I'll admit I'm more in the "no no, it's too expensive if something breaks" camp. Not as much with my son although he always wants what I have, like his B4 with a 13.5T brushless is light years ahead of his stock Slash, but when he saw my RC8Be with 2250kv Tekin motor, he of course wanted to drive that!

I try to let his friends drive the Slash when they are over, but I'm not aware of a feature to turn down the power on the radio? He's using the Flysky setup, is there a way to turn down the power? The Slash doesn't have the stock esc anymore which I remember had a beginner mode with something like 50% power.