T3 racer

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

gordondude24
Approved Member

T3 racer

Post by gordondude24 »

Anybody still club race one of these things? A new track opened in my area and the only rc i have left is an old T3 roller that needs some new parts. I contemplated buying a new t4.2 but decided to just get what i need for the T3. In the end i'll probably have just as much money invested in T3 parts that i could have purchased a new t4.2 kit, but what fun is that!
Anyway, if anyone has some setup information it would be appreciated. Parts are not to hard to find but old setup information is a different story.
Maybe i will throw some pics up of the build as it goes along. I will slowly be aquiring parts as funds allow.

John
Ridin' high and not afraid to die!

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: T3 racer

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

As is always the case, your set-up is going to be 100% dictated by the specific track you're running. What works well for me in the dry, sandy dirt out here is definitely not what a guy needs running on moist, loose earth, and the fellow on hard pack needs something else still.

You're just gonna have to get out there and play with it. Figure out if your tires need more or less bite, softer or firmer suspension, slower or faster shock rebound, higher or lower top speed, less or greater acceleration punch, etc.

I have four RC10GTs and a GT2, all set up quite differently from each other, and each has it's strengths & weaknesses. I can tell you that on the (kind of) local track I frequent, the ones with a lot of power don't do so well, and those with soft suspension bottom out and bounce. The one that does best is my black tub with an HPI .18, 20T/65T gearing, medium springs, 30 wt. shock oil, regular ribbed AE front tires and Proline Dirtworks rears. Of course, this won't help you one bit, since it's a totally different chassis, a nitro instead of electric and, again, a very different track from what I expect you'll be running on. My track is also not 1/10 stadium truck friendly; definitely more of a 1/8 4WD buggy/truggy/SCT track.

We may be able to help you out a bit if you can get us some photos of the track, describe the dirt conditions, and tell us what you're running for motor/battery/ESC.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

I say run the T3. Fix what it needs and go with it. Might want to upgrade the T4.2 slipper and get a set of the T4 or T4.1 factory team shocks. They are a nice shocks and can be picked I'd cheap because everyone wants the T4.2 big bores.

I'd set the suspension up by the manual and then adjust it from there.

I don't like the T4.2 myself. The plastic is not as firm as it use to be. They have wayyyyy too much slop for a race truck IMO. The Factory Team T4.2 doesn't even include the carbon parts anymore.

Associated sold copies of the T3 molds to mrp and thunder tiger so there's plenty of parts available as well. Although the mrp and thunder tiger trucks use a softer plastic.

The indoor track near me use to have the mrp trucks and people would race them successfully. Use to irritate me when these $130 trucks would beat me after I broke another front arm on my T4.1.

gordondude24
Approved Member

Post by gordondude24 »

Will the t4.2 slipper bolt right up to the t3 topshaft? If so i will probably just get the Avid slipper.

gordondude24
Approved Member

Post by gordondude24 »

Sixtysixdeuce, I would give more info on the track if i could, but i have not been ther yet. I do know that its an outdoor clay track. If you search youtube for river rat rc there are some videos up there.
I am thinking about getting the Viper 13.5 combo to start with and probably a 5000mah 30-40c lipo for batteries.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to install a T4.2 topshaft in the T3 trans in order to run the newer slipper.

The viper system is a pretty good combo and that's a good battery choice as well.

I would find out what the tire of choice is on that track. That's the biggest factor for tuning especially a clay track.

gordondude24
Approved Member

Post by gordondude24 »

If i have to change the topshaft i would probably just get the avid one as well. Hopefully someone will chime in with a positive answer on the need of a topshaft swap. Thanks for your help vwjuice. :wink:

john

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

You're quite welcome. Once you get the truck post some pics.

Oh btw I would search thru the various T3 build threads and see what everyone is doing to them. Lots of great info in there.

gordondude24
Approved Member

Post by gordondude24 »

After doing some more research in different threads it appears that the t4/b4 topshaft will swap right in.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I think you'll be competitive for sure :D Personally I haven't tried the upgraded slipper on any of my 3's, but the old slipper does tend to glaze up pretty fast with brushless. If I was racing I'd upgrade it. The only other things I suggest is Ti turnbuckles if don't have them yet. If you have dogbones, I'd ditch those for CVDs and add the bearing upgrade on the steering rack.
-Kevin

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

gordondude24 wrote:After doing some more research in different threads it appears that the t4/b4 topshaft will swap right in.
I thought that was the case. I think I read in one of them that they need a shim possibly or not. I don't recall.

gordondude24
Approved Member

Post by gordondude24 »

teman wrote:I think you'll be competitive for sure :D Personally I haven't tried the upgraded slipper on any of my 3's, but the old slipper does tend to glaze up pretty fast with brushless. If I was racing I'd upgrade it. The only other things I suggest is Ti turnbuckles if don't have them yet. If you have dogbones, I'd ditch those for CVDs and add the bearing upgrade on the steering rack.

Yeah, I have lots to buy and little money. Its gonna be a slow build. :D

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

I hear that :lol: things add up quick :oops:
The only real issue with the T3's are spare chassis's, they can be hard to come by if you break one. I'd grab a spare if you can find one or snag a Thunder Tiger chassis until you do so you can keep racing. They'll mount up fine, just a different composite plastic so it won't last as long as the originals.
-Kevin

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

teman wrote:I hear that :lol: things add up quick :oops:
The only real issue with the T3's are spare chassis's, they can be hard to come by if you break one. I'd grab a spare if you can find one or snag a Thunder Tiger chassis until you do so you can keep racing. They'll mount up fine, just a different composite plastic so it won't last as long as the originals.
The thunder tiger ones seem to hold up fine they just have more flex but its really not that noticeable.

gordondude24
Approved Member

Post by gordondude24 »

It already has a TT chassis on it. The original was broke where the front top plate bolts up. I have been on the hunt for an AE chassis but as you said they are hard to find.

John