1994 YZ10 #3 and 4

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stickboy007
Approved Member

1994 YZ10 #3 and 4

Post by stickboy007 »

Every time I think about either getting some stuff for my modern chassis or working on my backlogged Tamiya projects, another tanalizing YZ10 pops up on eBay and drains my wallet. I have a total of four '94 YZ10s now, which I hope is enough so that I can finally get on with my life. Besides, my shelf space is getting sparse...

First one below is a '94 that appears to be mostly stock, with the exception of a TCS unit and some slots cut in the lower deck to accomodate the velcro battery straps. Despite it looking a bit dirty, on closer inspection the parts are all in very good condition...belts, diffs, etc. Very low wear, although the philips screws are shot and I'll need to replace with some hex screws. Although not shown here, this one also came with a Pavidis body, another set of used wheels, and a set of NIP LRP BBS style white wheels. This should give me one relaxing weekend of cleaning and massaging. Haven't decided yet if it'll be a runner or a shelfer. Probably the latter, since I already have a '94 runner.

Second one below I'm sure some of you probably saw on eBay. Might even be from one of the members here. All parts NIP and unopened, unbuilt original kit. It will remain as such, considering I have one runner and two shelfers of the same type, and something this uncommon deserves to stay that way in my view. Rest assured it is in safe hands. I learned something interesting with this one, though. Apparently, there are (at least) three versions of the "squashed bug" body. The '91 Works has no air scoop on the left hand side, while the '94 has a small scoop and the Pavidis has a large scoop (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this). TBG makes repros of the '91 and Pavidis versions, but not the '94.

Combined with the 870c and the '93 works, that makes 6 YZ10s total. Lucky number 7 is that '91 Works that was just on eBay. I guess I'm officially a hoarder now ;)
Attachments
IMAG0610a.JPG
IMAG0612a.JPG

kbillan
Approved Member

Re: 1994 YZ10 #3 and 4

Post by kbillan »

Gorgeous! I built one of these new back in 94'

I ended up trying to mod it into a touring car some time around 97' when the TC craze hit. I then put it back together and sold it to a guy for about $100 around 99' or 2000. Gaaad I wish I still had it. Young and foolish.

I had all of the parts, too. One way.. carbon towers and deck.. Losi shocks.. FML.

I know of one sitting in an old abandoned hobby shop. Has the associated shocks for sure..I have been trying to talk the owner into letting me come down and snatch it up. Which reminds me.. I think I'll go write him again..

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

Amusing reading. I have to stop myself from looking at other cars. I am trying not to think about a yokomo or optima turbo on my shelf. It's not just the cars, but then it becomes collecting all the spares in multiples. I am not going down that road again :lol:
GARBO 1/8

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

I guess it depends how much restraint you have and the intentions for the model in question.

If it's to shelve then no need for spares.

If it's to run...then stock up on spares.

But I guess it's not that simple....how many if us are familiar with restoring a classic to run but eventually decide to shelf it as it's "too nice" to run.

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Well I already have a '94 runner, which is the main reason I'm leaning towards shelving it.

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

I actually have more than enough brand new parts to build two identical cars. I could keep one for display and thrash one. But the much more likely route is just keeping one car assembled to cover both display and careful running duties. The spares are currently safely stashed in an organised parts box. I think there is something cool about being able to take a mint car off the shelf and actually run it. A display car with no electronics ready to roll has no soul :D
GARBO 1/8

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Well I don't know that I would go that far to say it would have no soul ;) I think they're nicer to look at when they're not cluttered with electronics. I am in no way lacking in runners or shelf queens in my collection, so I could really go either way on this one. I am leaning towards shelver only because I already have a '94 runner. We'll see, though...

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I spent an hour or two tearing this thing up for closer inspection and [eventual] cleaning. Overall, most of the parts are in pretty good condition and just need some cleaning. The aluminum center pulleys are showing some signs of wear, but I'm not surprised considering how aluminum is relatively soft. No big deal...

One of the front inner hinge pins (bottom picture) was bent pretty badly and it took some fiddling to pull that one out of the bulkhead. This car must have taken a pretty hard knock, but intererestingly, it is only the hinge pin that is bent. There is not a single sign of corresponding damage on the bulkhead. This is one tough cookie!

The lower deck definitely took a dive off of the ugly tree, however. There is some heavy gouging near where the servo was mounted, plus the slots I mentioned earlier to accomodate those battery straps. I'll hang onto this one as a spare and get a new one from Fibre-Lyte, and then make my own lipo tray as per my other '94.

Might be a little while until I get the new lower deck, so the car will stay in this torn down state for some time. I want to put hex screws all around on this and some proper titanium turnbuckles. I don't think it "needs" anything other than that, but we'll see as the rebuild progresses...

In the mean time, I think I'll get to cleaning off the '91 Works I just got. Oh yes...I've got one of those, too...YZ10 number seven ;)
Attachments
IMAG0660a.JPG
IMAG0661a.JPG

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Pretty much done now. Cleaned everything up and added hex screws almost everywhere. I used Simple Green and a rag to clean the fiberglass parts, and it came out pretty nice. (**edit** I cleaned every part with Simple Green, just to be clear) I also tried WD40, but did not notice any real difference. I also put fresh o-rings behing the shock towers and installed Suzuki wheel hubs. Also replaced the springs with AE silver/green springs front/rear. They are smaller diameter than the Yokomo springs, but you can force them to fit onto the spring cups. I have a '95 body that came with it that needs painting. I have the pattern figured out (I'm a flames guy)...just need to wash it, tape it, and paint it. Considering that this was my "cheapest" '94 YZ10, I'm quite happy with how it came out after a little TLC.

The only thing missing here are the battery straps. I made a recent order from Fibre-Lyte for other YZ10 stuff, but forgot to add that to the list. I would like fiberglass ones for this, though, which means I'd probably have to make them myself out of G10; however, I have yet to find any G10 sheets where the shipping costs less than the sheet itself, and I do not know of any local suppliers. If anybody knows where I can pick one up, some info would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMAG0673a.JPG

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Hi just reading throught this and i notice you saying you add extra carbon fibre and make a lipo battery holder. Seeings how nice these cars are and i guess you really want to keep them stock, i looked at one of your vids re the battery holder and thought it a great idea but thought there has to be an easier way to get a lipo to hold without glueing ( i think you mentioned you glued it? Although i just had another thought..which is prolly what you do already anyway)

I as your vid suggested add a couple of hex nuts under the battery posts to get the right height then simply put a strip of velcro on the battery and 1 or two strips on the battery slots on the shell, put the battery on and add the battery holder and there is no way it will move. Just seemed easier and for the same effect + if you were glueing you dont have to worry about getting it off later. I have rolled my cars many times and no battery movement at all. You do (on the 870's) have to grind down one of the battery posts on one side (engine side) so u can squeeze the lipo in snuggly.

But then i just thought of your idea, i cant remember but do you actually make your battery holders to go under the battery post as well? If so this would alleviate the need for any glueing as the posts would hold the plate down? Yours prolly already did this

Anyway just thought i would chuck that out there...

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I have successfully implemented two approaches for battery holders on the YZ10:

On my 870c, I did as you mentioned, gluing bits of carbon fiber onto the chassis to hold the lipos in place. Since that one is a runner and the lower deck was a little beaten up, I didn't see a problem there. Plus, I used shoe goo which can be taken off without leaving any permanent damage, if need be.

On my '94 YZ10, I handmade (with a Dremel) two pieces out of a CF plate (http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26726&start=165) and screwed them under the battery posts (no gluing to the chassis). Took me all day to measure it and cut it, then trim, test, trim, test, etc. until it fit right. In retrospect, I should have started with cardboard and scissors and then traced that out over the CF plate. Lesson learned...

At the VONATS, I saw bscotti's '94 YZ10 which he had mounted a B44 lipo tray onto. I had originally tried to do this before seeing his, but I couldn't figure out how to make it fit without running into the posts for the upper deck and/or the motor mount. Not sure if he has any pictures on this forum for his implementation.

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Ha yes hindsight is a wonderful thing. I too think of the most difficult way to do the simplest things sometimes! Prolly cause i am simple.

As for taping your windows what do u do? I think i did it the hardest wat possible with standard painters blue or purple masking tape...took me ages to get it just right

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

To tape the windows, I just use masking tape and a razor.

flustorm99
Approved Member

Post by flustorm99 »

Is that how u do your flames as well?

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Yup. All of my paint schemes are with masking tape and a razor. Some of the painted bodies I have came with the chassis, which is why some of them look like they are airbrushed (because they are).