screw kits?

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

screw kits?

Post by pumpkinfish »

I have three rc10's to restore. Does some one package a screw kit for these cars? Better yet does anyone know what screw's (type and quantity) the cars take so I can got to McMaster Carr or Fastenal.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Re: screw kits?

Post by mk-Zero »

You can buy the ft screw kit here --> http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/6910/

If you don't want the blue ft screws you can find the gold colored aluminum screws here --> http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/RC10_Classic/RC10_Classic_Kit/parts_accessories/

frgna
Approved Member

Post by frgna »

Tony's are pretty good - but would be better if someone can recommend me a tool so I can properly countersink the chassis screws.

http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.sc?productId=880

frgna
Approved Member

Post by frgna »

FYI the Associated aluminum screws tend to strip very easily in case it's been a while since you've worked on one of these...causes lots of :evil: :x :evil: :x

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Since screws are fairly cheap, I just did a mass order of a bunch of stainless steel ones from fastenal. After building a few cars, You really can use a few different screws for the entire car. a good example is the 8-32 screws. As long as you had a bellcrank set that had its own screw down posts, 3/8" 8-32 screws covered everything. for that matter, 3/8" was pretty much a magic length for every screw. I've interchanged cap or button head screws as I want.

If I had to make a list of screws. This is just my estimate and I'd need to double check my numbers and lengths but I think this could cover a car. I need to verify screws needed for the transmission and body post length ones too. You would also need to add additional screws if not using ball cups.

100 deg flat. 8-32 x 3/8" x 20
100 deg flat. 8-32 x 3/4" x 4
82 deg flat 4-40 x 3/8" x 12
cap head 4-40 x 1 1/4" x 4
cap head 4-40 x 3/4" x 8
cap head 4-40 x 3/8" x 20
lock nut 4-40 x ???
washer 4-40 x ???
hex nut 4-40 x ???
washer 8-32 x ???

I've bought 2 screw kits that are marked for the RC10, Both are horrible.

The first is RC screwz. You will have to buy more screws as it isnt for the rc10. It didnt come with half the screws you would actually use and a ton of extras. I think it was made for the B4 and they are just trying to get rid of them by listing for other cars.

The second was a kit from hobbyetc but I cant remember the vendor. It was a full titanium set but didnt include a single 8-32 screw.

Tony's screws is the only kit I havent seen people gripe about.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

Tony's screws doesn't have the 100 degree countersink screws, it has 82 degree countersinks or something. I'd rather just buy Team Associated screws for the chassis than countersink it.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

frgna
Approved Member

Post by frgna »

Man if someone can really get it together for Fastenal or McMaster Carr with part numbers and all and make it easy to order I would be eternally grateful...

frgna
Approved Member

Post by frgna »

85Edinger wrote:Tony's screws doesn't have the 100 degree countersink screws, it has 82 degree countersinks or something. I'd rather just buy Team Associated screws for the chassis than countersink it.
I noticed this too. Bothersome.

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

What I think I figured out is that the AE 100 degree screws are the only screws that work on the Rc10's underbody, and they don't work well. You just have to live with them.
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

DMAT wrote:Since screws are fairly cheap, I just did a mass order of a bunch of stainless steel ones from fastenal. After building a few cars, You really can use a few different screws for the entire car. a good example is the 8-32 screws. As long as you had a bellcrank set that had its own screw down posts, 3/8" 8-32 screws covered everything. for that matter, 3/8" was pretty much a magic length for every screw. I've interchanged cap or button head screws as I want.

If I had to make a list of screws. This is just my estimate and I'd need to double check my numbers and lengths but I think this could cover a car. I need to verify screws needed for the transmission and body post length ones too. You would also need to add additional screws if not using ball cups.

102 deg flat. 8-32 x 3/8" x 20
102 deg flat. 8-32 x 3/4" x 4
cap head 4-40 x 3/4" x 8
lock nut 4-40 x ???
washer 4-40 x ???
hex nut 4-40 x ???
washer 8-32 x ???

The first is RC screwz. You will have to buy more screws as it isnt for the rc10. It didnt come with half the screws you would actually use and a ton of extras. I think it was made for the B4 and they are just trying to get rid of them by listing for other cars.

The second was a kit from hobbyetc but I cant remember the vendor. It was a full titanium set but didnt include a single 8-32 screw.

Great information, exactly what I was looking for. My gut told me not to trust the eBay kits. I am also on the fence about the blue screws. For shelf queens I guess they are ok, but I am more of a racer and would rather do steel screws with colored countersunk washers. Also, are there steel 8/32 screws for the bulkheads or aluminum only? I have broken a few in my bulkhead/rear suspension mounts on our hard clay indoor track.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Everything I ordered is 8-18 stainless steel. fastenal should have any and all sizes needed. They should also be a little more rust proof :mrgreen: I'm not sure about just straight steel screws.

also, I got Phillips head screws over the Allen wrench type. Its just so much easier to get them out. Only the cap screws use the allen wrenches.

even though 3/8" can work in every place, since you can by screws by singles, Id probably order a few of the 1/2" 8-32 screws for certain places if your looking for the best possible grip.

I think most of associated 8-32 screw were aluminum so the upgrade to even stainless should be plenty. I know I absolutely hated them since Id always end up with ruined heads and removing them was hell.

I think my last order to fastenal was like 300 or so screws and it only totaled around $30 with shipping included. Its only like 3-8 cents a screw.

dbs179
Approved Member

Post by dbs179 »

DMAT wrote:Since screws are fairly cheap, I just did a mass order of a bunch of stainless steel ones from fastenal. After building a few cars, You really can use a few different screws for the entire car. a good example is the 8-32 screws. As long as you had a bellcrank set that had its own screw down posts, 3/8" 8-32 screws covered everything. for that matter, 3/8" was pretty much a magic length for every screw. I've interchanged cap or button head screws as I want.

102 deg flat. 8-32 x 3/8" x 20
102 deg flat. 8-32 x 3/4" x 4
cap head 4-40 x 3/4" x 8
lock nut 4-40 x ???
washer 4-40 x ???
hex nut 4-40 x ???
washer 8-32 x ???

DMAT,

I can't find the 102 degree or 82 degree screws on Fastenal to save my life. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dave
Thanks,
Dave

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

For those there are no good alternatives to AE screws.

dbs179
Approved Member

Post by dbs179 »

85Edinger wrote:For those there are no good alternatives to AE screws.

Got it! Thanks!
Dave
Thanks,
Dave

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

They are 100 degree, not 102.