Racing RC's

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DMAT
Approved Member

Racing RC's

Post by DMAT »

Well i didnt think I'd actually care to do this but im real curious about the topic and dont really know where to look for the proper information.

Can you guys direct me to a good site that can give me the breakdown for racing rc's. What classes there are, whats legal. Most of my cars are 10's so it would more likely be vintage if I did race.

the only real track near me is outdoor dirt track probably meant for SCT but seems huge for a buggy so thats the only place I'll really be able to get practice on a track too. They have only one 1/10 scale class which is a free for all it seems.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Racing RC's

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Here's a lot of general info and what would apply at most big sponsored races.

http://www.roarracing.com/rules.php

Outside of that, most local tracks have "club rules" which are basically made up by the person running the track and can vary greatly. If you're resistant to run Short Course you may re-think it. It can be a lot of fun and the class always has the biggest turnout pretty much anywhere you go. The bigger the class, the better the racing IMHO. We've gone to an H Main around here on more than one occasion in Short Course. :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Well, I think im gonna try out racing at my track. Any recommendation for 2.2 tires for dirt tracks?

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

DMAT wrote:Well, I think im gonna try out racing at my track. Any recommendation for 2.2 tires for dirt tracks?
The best thing to do is talk with the local racers (especially the ones doing well) to find out what they are using.
Something clever goes here...

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Well if you want to race and have no problem driving, about two hours east on I-10 will put you in Ocean Springs which a new indoor offroad track and indoor ozite carpet onroad track just opened. Classes will be stock buggy, mod buggy, stock SCT, mod SCT, 1/10 4wd buggy, 1/8 ebuggy, and maybe stadium truck. Your 10s are good enough to run stock or mod 1/10 buggy with no problems. Before the indoor track I raced my Re Re Classic box stock build and took 2nd out of a field of modern cars.

Tire choice for the track here, JC Barcodes = front; JC Hybrids, AKA Impacts, JC Splitters = rear.

First race will be on sat, 26 Apr.

I will be there with my B5 and Short bus and maybe the optima Mid if I can get it finished. Just got home from running laps, about 4 hours of practice just tonight alone, I am ready.

Jake

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

I know I'm a crappy racer since all I do is bash. I tried running some controlled laps in a parking lot today with slicks and it was hard enough to keep the car on all 4's and I wasnt geared for speed, the wheels just had too much grip for their own good. I wrecked a ton and when The traction caused a flip, It would be like 5 to 6 complete rotations before it landed. I also discovered a neat way to climb over curbs but that was only doable with my rustler.

I might have to come check out that track over the weekend. Get a rundown on the rules and some time on the track. The one in springfield is definitely made for 1/8 cars.

I found their facebook page and your right, they did just open recently.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Well you will fit in with the majority here since most here can't drive either. There are fast guys, but the rest are slow. There is supposed to be a large turnout on the 26th so get one of your 10s ready and come race.

If you come up this Sunday, I plan to practice a good bit of the day. Bring your cars and get some practice in. I may have my re re running stock buggy, race day but not sure. Will throw the 17.5 in it and run laps on Sunday with the car.

Jake

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Many local tracks are starting vintage classes with the re-release of the RC10 classic, worlds and others from Tamiya, Kyosho, etc. Just need to check around. Ours is doing a stock class, but 17.5 brushless in blinky mode is OK
If you're resistant to run Short Course you may re-think it. It can be a lot of fun and the class always has the biggest turnout pretty much anywhere you go. The bigger the class, the better the racing IMHO. We've gone to an H Main around here on more than one occasion in Short Course. :D
I was lured into the SCT thing, then quickly discovered I don't care for that type of vehicle or that style of racing (very angry). They are nowhere near as graceful or nimble as stadium trucks and buggies. The only reason I still have one is that I don't care to have my other kits tore up on practice days when 4 out of 5 people on the track are inexperienced drivers with fast SCTs. When they start running, out comes my SCT-converted 1/8 scale buggy.

Buggy class is still quite popular around here, but I sure do wish more people were running stadium trucks. I love my STs, both electric and nitro.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

well I'll need to get my cars fixed then as I broke something on each of them yesterday. not sure what category my graphite running a 3800KV motor would fall under, its the only car I'm really practicing with aside from my rustler but its so weighted that its probably too slow to race. I might have another car for a vintage class ready by the weekend too. Depend whether my esc gets delivered in time.

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

keep in mind .. go to the local track and see what they are running first as ive bought a couple of cars ... now and they dont run any of them at our track now :roll:

would love to run my rc10 brushed set up but it dosent do well compaired to the b4's and b5's running brushless :(

they are running heavy in 1/8 and sct outdoor but are not intrested in them so ill look around this summer and see if i can find a better 1/10 scale track to run

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Your 3800kv 10 would go into the mod buggy class.

I am heading to the track and will post lap time differences between mod b5 and 17.5 re re classic.

You wont find a vintage class here, only stock and mod buggy. Your 10 is more than capable to run with the modern stuff. Here is the battle for first between me and a 2013 TLR 22 2.0.

It is more than capable to win races.
Attachments
Race.jpg

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:I was lured into the SCT thing, then quickly discovered I don't care for that type of vehicle or that style of racing (very angry). They are nowhere near as graceful or nimble as stadium trucks and buggies.
I agree, but I guess what I enjoy about it is the challenge of dodging the bullets flying all over the track and trying to work your way into a good position. I think it appeals to me because I have terrible concentration. I can't just stand there and rip off perfect laps for 6 minutes. I need the "wild card" factor of a newbie on the loose to throw off the faster guys so I can try and use my reactions to win races rather than perfect focus and concentration. Leaves my mind free to think about how fun it would be to hang out with Bugs Bunny...
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The trick is to only go as fast as you can consistantly get around the track without crashing, if your crashing your going too fast. You'll be surprised how well you'll do by going slower. Pick 3 points in the corner where you want the car positioned - entry, apex and exit. Aim to hit those 3 points, or connect the dots so to say.

Anyone who has raced a fair bit will say your fastest lap will feel like one of your slowest.

Consistency is key in racing, ie, if you can only make the tripple 50% - 70% of the time (or any obstical for that matter) then don't keep going for it. Also make sure the car is settled and "squared up" before hitting jumps or other obsticals. This can be the difference between a 90%+ success rate as opposed to 50%. Break the lap down and take things one thing at a time.

This is all provided your car is reasonably well set up, which most kit factory set ups will get you around the track well.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I've been wanting to do this myself now for a couple of years. Almost made it out to a local vintage race / gtg here in Ontario. Hopefully we will do something like that again as it would be nice to race with a bunch of guys who at least understand and appreciate the older stuff.

But I do have my T4 and B44 to race as well. Compared to the RC10's both are a breeze to drive and almost never break anything. I'm hoping to eventually replace all the really old parts on the 10s now that the re-re stuff is out and get them track prepped! Would love to spank some newer buggies with my gold pan :mrgreen:
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Seabass wrote:Your 3800kv 10 would go into the mod buggy class.

I am heading to the track and will post lap time differences between mod b5 and 17.5 re re classic.

You wont find a vintage class here, only stock and mod buggy. Your 10 is more than capable to run with the modern stuff. Here is the battle for first between me and a 2013 TLR 22 2.0.

It is more than capable to win races.
That's a really great picture Jake. Is that a short arm '10, I can't quite tell for sure?