XXCR with KW parts, or KW that has been repaired?

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DHC6
Approved Member

XXCR with KW parts, or KW that has been repaired?

Post by DHC6 »

Ok, so in my search for a kinwald XX (or enough parts to build one) I got this XX off evilbay sometime ago. When I got it, it was sold as just a XX CR. However on closer inspection there are a number of KW parts on the car which makes me think it might be a KW edition that may have been repaird with a non graphite chasis. Which if I am correct the KW edition XX had Graphite everything. Anyway have a look at teh pictures and tell me what you guys think.

Over all shot of the buggy

Pic of the underside

Close up of the front shock tower, looks like a BK tower

Close up of the rear

Seems to have a lot of nice extra trinity parts, however I am not sure which ones came standard on the KW XX, so that's why I am not sure if this is a CR with hop ups or an actual KW.

I am still a few parts shy of building a KW edition, I am hoping to get the rest of the parts and build one over the winter months between servicing my planes.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

jamin
Approved Member

Re: XXCR with KW parts, or KW that has been repaired?

Post by jamin »

I'm gonna say it was a Kinwald originally, based mainly on the motor plate as I don't believe that item was something you could obtain separately. There are also blue nuts/springs etc.

The top brace is graphite so makes me think just the chassis snapped at some point and got replaced.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Yeah - I'm with Ben, everything else apart from the chassis itself is correct for the Kinwald. (the Trinity transmission plate & rear pivot bracket are both also aftermarket Trinity items)

Ben, as the 'jammy' :mrgreen: owner of a NIB kit, does the KW come with shiny CVDs or regular black ones?

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

DerbyDan wrote:Yeah - I'm with Ben, everything else apart from the chassis itself is correct for the Kinwald. (the Trinity transmission plate & rear pivot bracket are both also aftermarket Trinity items)

Ben, as the 'jammy' :mrgreen: owner of a NIB kit, does the KW come with shiny CVDs or regular black ones?
Shouldn't that be 'Jami'....? :)
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

The more I look at it the more I agree with you guys. I think it was a KW that has it chasis replaced. Look at the underside and you can see some ware at the front and rear but none on the chassis. So it looks like it was replaced then shelved. It have a pretty spotless graphite chassis, maybe I'll swap it out to make it closer to an original KW, and use this chassis to make a proper CR. Would love a NIB KW to build!
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

DerbyDan wrote:Yeah - I'm with Ben, everything else apart from the chassis itself is correct for the Kinwald. (the Trinity transmission plate & rear pivot bracket are both also aftermarket Trinity items)

Good point, it has black ones...those ones look slightly blue in colour so they must be the aluminium ones - another upgraded item perhaps?

I really need to build my KW, I just need a nice clear day without any interruptions, with 2 young kids that doesn't happen. Maybe I need to do a 'night shift' and build it overnight! Hahaha.

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

jamin wrote:

Good point, it has black ones...those ones look slightly blue in colour so they must be the aluminium ones - another upgraded item perhaps?

I really need to build my KW, I just need a nice clear day without any interruptions, with 2 young kids that doesn't happen. Maybe I need to do a 'night shift' and build it overnight! Hahaha.

Send it to me, I will do it for you... :mrgreen: