hello from New Zealand

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

yoeddynz

hello from New Zealand

Post by yoeddynz »

Hi there,
I used to race an RC10 classic buggy back in the late 80's/early 90's. I then sold it and went through various other cars including jrx2, jrxpro, schumacher procat etc. Then really got into my cycle racing in a big way, then modifying full size classic cars. Still into cycling in a huge way and make my money restoring old cars. I always kept my radio gear and fancied getting back into racing. I yearned for another old RC10 probably because it was my first proper race car, I love the look of them and they are a classic!
So I bought one. I searched on Ebay as there were none for sale in NZ at the time (about a year ago) and finally bought a very tidy well kept car from a fella in the US who like many used to race but gave up and mothballed his car. It came with radio gear included but all of that I intend to upgrade.
It came with some old school RC10 wheels in a bag so possibly David had upgraded it although going by the lack of scars under the tray I dont think it seen much action.

Here it is...

I am not sure what year it is. It has many newer features my old one did not have- longer front shocks and arms, turnbuckles with lefthand threads etc. I cant locate a serial number. I think there should be one but where?

So my plans are to upgrade to Lipo batteries, brushless motor and a new transmitter. I have realised, as, many on here have probably found, that things have moved on quite a lot! Its been really interesting reading up on the latest battery technologies. I had sort of been following it over the years, occasionally picking up an RC car mag or a quick browse on the nerdnet. But no real experience as to just how fast these cars are now. Quite excited. My wife Hannah and I have bought an 11 acre block of land and I have already worked out where I can make a decent track. Plus we have a local RC car club with a great offroad track. I think I will be able to get Hannah into the racing. She loves cars and is very much hands on in modifying them so this is just another avenue to tinker with.

I have had a look over the forum and in particular the upgrade threads. I am still unsure on how powerful a motor I should go for given the light front end/rear engine location. Plus battery sizing to fit within my tub.
I am looking at these batteries..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16782

Measured up they will fit in my current holders. Do I also need to run a separate receiver battery though? Or can I take the receiver power from the main battery like I used to with my old Tekin/futaba setup?

Motors? I used to run around 17 turn double there abouts but that was with old 1400 SCR nicad! batteries. I'd love to go faster but also having a run time of at least 10 minutes rather than the old 5 minute runs. Any ideas on what motor specfication might suit me? I will keep searching and learning but always good to hear from RC10 users!

Looking to get this radio gear after seeing it in the upgrade thread on this forum.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

However I have not yet looked into other possibilities.

Hopefully I can get some answers - I was not sure if I should post the questions here or elsewhere. Anyone else in NZ on these forums with RC10s please say hi!

Cheers
alex