Old graphite chassis

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Torsten38

Old graphite chassis

Post by Torsten38 »

Hi everyone, just joined the forum.
Recently dug my old RC10 out from the cellar, drove it a little bit, the engine seized and disintegrated, bought a new brushless, had to get a new esc and drove again.
Now hit a hard object and broke the servo saver. Replacement part looks to be readily available, but after handling the car I noticed a few splinters in my fingers, and it turns out the graphite has been damaged/worn in the front. Is it possible to repair it? Is there a bumper that can be attached? Are there any modern replacement parts?
Thanks for any help.

jwscab

Re: Old graphite chassis

Post by jwscab »

Yes you can run a shorty front bumper. I would add some CA glue to the edges first to help prevent further splintering.

Torsten38

Post by Torsten38 »

Thanks. CA glue is just normal superglue right?
Is there an official shorty front bumper that doesn't require any modification on the chassis? Like this one?
http://www.modelsport.co.uk/associated-rc10-front-nose-plate/rc-car-products/378802
Also thought about getting a wider bumper for when my kid is gonna try it, like this:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/rpm-rc10b4-t4-and-hpi-firestorm-wide-front-bumper-black/rc-car-products/26282

Anyone with an opinion or advice on how best to proceed with that?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, regular super glue.

RPM used to make a nice shorty bumper, I guess they don't anymore. however, someone has made a nice shapeways that is actually better, it's more protective of the whole kickup:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/9MU7HA68Z/rc10-classic-front-bumper?li=gmerchant&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KEQjwz-i3BRDtn53Z5Z7t4PUBEiQA23q2ADLsqwxnIrjabHJLKCUzbz0khuU7TCurHvuTEdP_IosaAsoj8P8HAQ

the first link you had was for the aluminum nose plate for the aluminum chassis, although technically you could cut one up to make a nose plate reinforcement.

the second link is a good wide bumper, but not for your car, you can sometime find the old style ones on ebay.

like this one, although this only ships to US:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New-Andy-s-S-K-Associated-RC10T-Pro-Race-Wide-Front-Bumper-/222056837871?hash=item33b39e72ef:g:N4IAAOSwuAVWzIbq

Torsten38

Post by Torsten38 »

Thanks for the help, I'll see what I can arrange. Have some family in the US so should be doable :)

Torsten38

Post by Torsten38 »

Looking a little more on ebay for bumpers, I found the RPM. How can I tell that it will fit my old RC10? A lot of mentioning RC10T and RC10T4.2 but what does that T and numbers stand for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Associated-RC10T4-2-RPM-Extra-Wide-Front-Bumper-Black-RPM80042-/201353495701?hash=item2ee19a8495:g:BJYAAOSwv0tVXDSI

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

T stands for truck and the number stands for the generation/version. None of the truck bumpers will fit your graphite buggy chassis....neither will any made for a RC10B2 through B5.

The bumper jwscab posted is a good choice.

If you want something else, then look for a bumper with three holes that match the two front holes on your arm mounts and the center hole that matches the front body mount on your car.

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-New-Andy-s-S-K-Associated-RC10-Front-Bumper-Black-/322043274794?hash=item4afb46662a:g:tfYAAOSwpzdWqVfM

Otherwise you could buy a sheet of kydex from a hobby shop or e-tailer and make your own.

Torsten38

Post by Torsten38 »

Thanks for that phin. Bought the one jwscab pointed out and now also waiting for the servo saver. Looking forward to get back on the road.
For future crashes, do u know if there is a site listing compatible parts for the RC10 graphite?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

rc10 graphite is identical to any gold pan parts wise with the exception of the chassis. So you could grab a manual from rc10.com of any flavor, which matches your chassis the closest (short arm, long arm, stealth, 6 gear, etc).

with the release of the rc10 classic and worlds car, you can pretty much get every piece.